Product Chat / Are you working on new DLC???

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
If so what kind of DLC and when it is expected to released???
PM
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 14th Jan 2017 11:32
No, Lee promised us he would be focusing on the engine, we already have almost 6gb of free assets, and twice that in dlc's, people were complaining it took to.r away from fixes and updates, so he's not planning any more until the software has mist if the core features in place etc. To be fair we have a shed load of dlc and free items, we don't really need much more.

i5, NV960 2GB, 16GB memory, 2x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.
i3 , Intel integrated graphics, 6GB memory, 512GB Generic SATAIII Win8.1.
Intel Celeron (duel Core), Radeon integrated graphics, 4GB memory, 180gB Generic SATAII, WinVista.
Q6600, Intel integrated graphics, 8GB memory, 512GB Generic SATAII, Win7.
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "To be fair we have a shed load of dlc and free items, we don't really need much more."

Speak for yourself , I think you can never have enough media, especially themed stuff. One issue I always had with FPSC was lack of enough themed media to really make anything decent. Either it means you try to make your own (not always the best idea) or buy some more. If there's no more to buy then you are in a situation where you have lot's of media but not enough that look okay together.

I never had any issues with DLC, I mean Lee isn't making it, it just meant you could get more specific media for your projects. Especially as it was meant to be added to FOC over time. I know Steam users complained, but let's face it they can be a bunch of whingers at times. If you don't want the DLC, then no problem, don't buy it! But no, it's taking Lee away from GG! No DLC! Actually the DLC is by a 3D artist not Lee, so takes Lee away for the time it takes to test said objects load an work is all. It's not like a game's DLC content, which would take the programmers focus away from the product, this DLC is optional and pretty much doesn't take up much of Lee's time at all. In fairness he could get people to check this sort of thing for him anyway if he wanted and so would only spend a few emails on it at most.

So, blame those Steam clones who whine at the same things incessantly, but generally don't know the difference between games DLC and game engine DLC. Same as the many who shout asset flip as soon as they see anything they recognise from another game. For some reason people think it's a new thing, but asset flipping (as it's been termed) has been done forever by actual companies many times. World Cup Football by Arctic on the Spectrum for instance. Bought by US Gold before the World Cup, renamed World Cup Carnival and put for sale. It sold a lot. It was not a good game either, just run diagonally up and down until your near the goal and shoot, worked every time. I mean that's asset flipping done properly

What was it Jim Sterling complained about the other day? Ah yes, the HUD. The way he talks about it makes me laugh. "I've seen this on quite a few games this year. Obviously an asset flip!" - No, no, it's called default media Jim, and the dev couldn't be bothered (or didn't know how) to customise it is all. Yes, they should, but still, not an asset flip, the dev didn't take it out another game or store and reuse, he simply used the one provided, by Game Guru.

So you might guess I disagree about DLC being put on hold until GG is nearer completion. For me having a large collection of high quality themed items is a big plus and always helps when pottering through your items thinking, " what would suit this purpose?". Plus the more media we have, the less likely to be spotted and being called an asset flipper. I'll end with this, every car manufacturer in the world is also an Asset Flipper according to the brain process of all these Youtubers and followers. It's this sort of lack of critical thinking that has filled Youtube with Flat Earth nonsense of late.

So, roll on sanity and the continuation of decent DLC content I say.

SPECS: Q6600 CPU. Nvidia 660GTX. 8 Gig Memory. Win 7.
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "DVader : I disagree about DLC being put on hold until GG is nearer completion."

Ye I think Lee may have got a little despondent over the DLC's as the amount of written complaints was actually more then the thanks for them ..
I must have told users till I was blue in the face that the DLC's were created by a third party and did not cost development time but it was like they were brain dead and it just did not sink in ... They just refused point blank to believe it ..

It is a shame as you say and I agree with your comments .. DLC's were always welcome IMHO ..

The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2017 21:58
Yeah!! I'm very fond of the DLC's!

-Wolf
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Perhaps the problem is more about the timing of the releases rather than the actual dlc, once the engine is in a better state people will be asking for more dlc... Just wait and see :p
lua guide for GG
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=398177770
windows 10
i5 @4ghz, 8gb ram, AMD R9 200 series , directx 11
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2017 11:49
I used to be a bedroom coder once upon a time. Now I am many things with many hats, including the guy who pulls future DLC from a product to avoid negative reviews on the subject. It's a pity I can't get the 'Unity Is Free' crowd to argue with the 'DLCs Are Evil' crowd, it could save me a lot of typing on Steam
PC SPECS: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit, Intel Core i7-5930K (PASSMARK:13645), NVIDIA Geforce GTX 980 GPU (PASSMARK:9762) , 32GB RAM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-07-05 10:40:08
Your offset time is: 2024-07-05 10:40:08