Product Chat / A Thousand Ideas - Pruner Needed

Author
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2017 16:37
Hi All,

In anticipation of a voting board reset, I am also looking to do some voting board edits and additions. For the 'additions' part I have been asking users in 2016 to make feature requests separately at the bottom of the voting board page, and I now have the list. Believe it or not, your combined feature requests totaled 1088. That's 1088 features you wanted in GameGuru in 2016, welcome to my world!

So I can focus on coding, I am asking for a long standing member of the GameGuru community to take this list and divide it up into three piles. Repeated requests for the same thing, and total them up. A pile of one-off features that are not repeated more than a few times, and a pile of features that are already on the voting board but suggest clarity for edits to the existing board. From this, we can get an idea which features are asked for the most and worthy of being added to the board. It will also suggest how we can improve existing items with more detail on what specifically will be done if the task is voted to the number one spot.

As I've stated, the EBE and the AI work are quite safe and are my first tasks for 2017. This revised voting board list will constitute the options you will be selecting from throughout 2017. Naturally you will still be able to suggest new features, but the 1088 already collected will be purged and a similar process will ensue towards the end of the year.

If you want to volunteer for the task of 'chief sorter', suggest your name here, and if anyone wants to up-vote a particular user for the task, feel free as it will help me make my decision. No need to email me directly, as we can keep the discussion here and as the list is so large the task can easily be split up between a few of you fine fellows.
PC SPECS: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit, Intel Core i7-5930K (PASSMARK:13645), NVIDIA Geforce GTX 980 GPU (PASSMARK:9762) , 32GB RAM

Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 10th Jan 2017 16:40 Edited at: 11th Jan 2017 06:04
Will you be making a pass through the existing items on the voting list and combining similar features?

I know i've noticed quite a few (there's been a couple i've emailed you about and you've fixed for me, thanks for that) that would logically be done at the same time as each other but are completely different voting categories, and i know Teabone has built up quite a list of them too, the existing list really needs pruning and condensing before you even think about adding anything new.

Also, there's quite a few tings you have worked on and declared finished on the voting board, yet are clearly not finished by a long shot, for example "Support for other 3D formats" states that it is completed, come on be realistic, you have added support for one format, and even that is only at the most 10% working, hardly completed in my opinion, don't get me wrong, i know it was a hard task, and i'm grateful you attempted it, but many don't feel that way.

I'm happy to help out if I can.

i5, NV960 2GB, 16GB memory, 2x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.
i3 , Intel integrated graphics, 6GB memory, 512GB Generic SATAIII Win8.1.
Intel Celeron (duel Core), Radeon integrated graphics, 4GB memory, 180gB Generic SATAII, WinVista.
Q6600, Intel integrated graphics, 8GB memory, 512GB Generic SATAII, Win7.
wizard of id
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: CSGO
Posted: 11th Jan 2017 04:24
Whoa, no one put there hands up yet. Lee you can count on me to assist if needed
Win7 pro, Intel 2500K @3.7ghz 660GTX 8gig ram 16tb HDD
AuShadow
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2017 06:02 Edited at: 11th Jan 2017 06:02
Get a fair amount of spare time at work lately that I have been filling in playing games on Android so sure I could go over a list and divide it up
PC Specs: Windows 10 home 64-bit, Amd 7900 3gb DDR5 graphics, 8gb DDR3 Ram, Intel i7 3.4ghz
AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2017 08:02
It's simple enough, just eliminate all the feature requests I didn't make.
Been there, done that, got all the T-Shirts!
PM
Wolverine
Years of Service
User Offline
@AmenMoses
Haha
PM
Honkeyboy
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2017 17:12 Edited at: 13th Jan 2017 19:23
I could prune em down lol but it would only end up with 2 or 3 left core updates, other game genres oh ok it'd end up with 2 (hence the missus doing the shopping)
Intel i5 4950 Quad core 3.3ghz AMD FX 6300 x6 cores 3.5ghz(unclocked)
8gb Ram 8gb Ram
AMD Radeon 7570 1gb AMD Radeon HD 6670 2gb
and a well fed mouse on a wheel

I only smile because i have absolutely no idea whats going on
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2017 20:31 Edited at: 13th Jan 2017 21:11
If you look at some of the features you can easily see where it can be pruned for example you won't be creating a day/night system without sun position which are two separate features on the voting board.
If you really want advice this is the one to cure it all in one go:

All settings to have equivalent LUA commands

I am no great coder/scripter but if you open this up to those who have the skills a great deal of those features on the board will be done in short time. Leaving you to work on the core engine and you can always provide your own at a later time if you feel GameGuru should have it included.

In my opinion GameGuru doesn't need everything included out of the box as standard right away, at this stage you can't get it all done quickly enough, with some user provided functionality available, you can have a specific link to a feature thread here on the forum direct from the product site which will bring new users to the forums to grab these features adding to both the user base and the forum enrollment.
Makes sense to me that you would want to highlight your most valuable asset which is around these boards and involve new users with what can be done all at the same time as showing what the engine is really capable of in the right hands. Nobody knows everything nor can anyone do everything on their own and you have a very enthusiastic crowd here willing to chip in their best efforts, take advantage of that
Honkeyboy
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2017 21:16
Totally agree with Rolfy there, but i think a lot of the features requested are pretty much buff, hence me mentioning genres. I f say i gave my son (when he was little) a space ship he would play with that space ship and then get bored and maybe want a car, so give him a car and pretty much the same result and its pretty much the same now he's 20 :/ (actually im the same at nearly 50 lol my point being i think all the features need to revolve around the player of which atm we have two types FPS and the wizard = not much to play with. So if the player themselves had more variations e.g cars, bikes, planes, spaceships, dancing bananas etc in both first and third person people would have lots more to do and the voting board would actually become about features and the targeting of those features would probably make more sense. As we know we have some wicked scripters,modelers, etc etc. and most of that board can be done by those people, so what if you have to pay a few creds for their efforts. Every other engines marketplaces charge for this, then Lee can do what he does best work on his engine. I know the EBE needs to be finished and AI is a must so totally agree with that first but we really need more player entity variation to keep us interested. Anyway better shut up this is a request post for a sorter (sorry Lee)
Intel i5 4950 Quad core 3.3ghz AMD FX 6300 x6 cores 3.5ghz(unclocked)
8gb Ram 8gb Ram
AMD Radeon 7570 1gb AMD Radeon HD 6670 2gb
and a well fed mouse on a wheel

I only smile because i have absolutely no idea whats going on
granada
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2017 21:19 Edited at: 13th Jan 2017 21:20
I have to agree with this one

Quote: "In my opinion GameGuru doesn't need everything included out of the box as standard right away, at this stage you can't get it all done quickly enough, with some user provided functionality available, you can have a specific link to a feature thread here on the forum direct from the product site which will bring new users to the forums to grab these features adding to both the user base and the forum enrollment."

Dave
GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
AMD FX (tm)-9590 Eight-core Processor
31.96 GB RAM
1920x1080,60 Hz
PM
wizard of id
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: CSGO
Posted: 1st Feb 2017 17:53
So lee gave me the honor to prune the list.And I thought I would share what most often came up

> Was a change to the GUI
> Easier HUD creation as well as additional HUD icons (came up the most )
> Animation editor and importer
> Better terrain editing and height map importer
> DX11 support
> Spell casting
> Weapon editor and creator
> Key binding
> Expanding the character editor with more body parts
> Vehicles
> Standalone multiplayer
> RPG menu Hud
> Visual AI script editing
> Entity search function
> Dedicated servers
> Change entity textures in realtime
> Remove unused entities
> Paint more then one grass type (this is a biggie)
> RPG Game elements not related to lua.
> Improvement on the entity placement, via inputting coordinates manually
> Entity interaction pick up, throw, stack. buoyancy ect
> AI speech
> Hand animation when opening doors or picking up items
> Caves, voxel terrain (another big requests)
>3rd person
>RTS game creation
>RPG, skills tree, levels, menu, ect
>RPG
>RPG (yip the thing that came up every other request)

All things considered users were quite clued up on what the wanted, better graphics also came up every now and then, but most users were quite happy with it, was also a few requests for more DLC's, also quite common were users requesting the ability to create RTS and turn based games.

This post is really to say "high 5" on great requests !!!!
Win7 pro, Intel 2500K @3.7ghz 660GTX 8gig ram 16tb HDD

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-07-05 11:49:49
Your offset time is: 2024-07-05 11:49:49