Product Chat / More quality models

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
For most gaming engines there are shops with many high quality models (Very high quality).
Why in our store (GG) we have no high-quality models? the problem is the designers who build the modules or the engine can not show them in a good quality?
PM
arfur9
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2016 10:47
If your talking Unity and Unreal, well the communities are huge, direct links/bridges from major modelling software, working FBX support, with my experence so far there's a lot of passing models around with GG, but I'm probably not using the ideal modeling software

Its a catch 22 for a smaller community, no one is going to make expensive models that probably only one person will buy, the only way it happens is if the author has a use for it first then they may try and sell it on
stor
Years of Service
User Offline
I can understand that but if you want to increase the community you need something to attract them, and what better from quality models that will allow you to build a quality game on a easy to use game engine.

To develop a good product you need It will be easy to use (they did a good job) and good quality (quality is measured mostly from the models).

If they tell me to pay 100$ per quality package I'm willing to do it and I'm sure that a few will do it and it will give us the opportunity to develop a quality games.

I'm sure a good game will publish the engine more than anything. (one picture is worth a thousand words and a quality game worth a thousand pictures).
PM
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Cost. TGC's models are not anywhere near as expensive as much Unity/Unreal stuff out there. I've even had people complain that things are too expensive NOW. It was a $6 script, but really, the gall of some people, calling that expensive, it's not as if artists actually make anywhere close to that amount either. If $6 is too much then go write your own is what I say, and I am guessing that to get anywhere close to the script I provided the user in question would have had to spend many hours getting it working, or look around for free ones to try to cobble together. Either way, $6 is not a lot to spend to get access straight away. Try buying Unity scripts for that price

It's the same with models, I've seen some crazy prices on Unreal's store, $30+ easily (liveable if you really want it, but obviously it doesn't take many of these to see your game budget going skyhigh) and some are much higher than that. Try this on GG's store and expect very low sales, unless it's a pack with lot's of content.

Finally performance. GG models are normally aimed more at performance (although not all, some are real hogs) Making models of the quality you say would probably slow down GG quite badly, as the only way to really increase quality we have is via bigger textures and higher polygons. There's no other tricks in GG's arsenal. Unfortunately, GG is aimed as an easy game maker and thus aimed mostly at beginners, and so you will always get beginner art served up as well on occasion. Stuff that I wouldn't even give away, has been put on the store in the past. High poly, awful textures (just stuck on, no real UV mapping as such), seam glitches you can see through etc. In honesty some of the official TGC stuff suffers from the last item.

It's an amusing Catch 22 situation that GG is aimed at beginners, but the only way to make a good game is to know what you are doing. Beginners are very unlikely to make anything decent with it, it takes dedication and work to get something half decent made in GG. Experience helps greatly as well, coming to GG from say Dark Basic, AGK, Game Maker Studio or any other programming language/system will greatly increase you chances of getting Game Guru to produce something other than "Catapult Shooter".

I agree in a way, I would like some quality models as well, often GG store ones look okay, but are not quite right. At least sometimes. There are some excellent models on the store amongst the less excellent ones. It's rare to see a AAA quality ones though, but as said GG would probably grind to a halt if you added to many showpiece models in. Also, I really wonder if they would sell at the prices they would undoubtedly command. Most people here are on a shoestring budget in the first place.

Finally, you do have the option of buying said media from the Unreal store and using it in GG (if the license allows it, I just wouldn't buy if not, as I consider media to be media, once you have paid for it you should be allowed to do as you want with it, bar sell it off as your own model or pack of models.) Yes, you probably would have to do a bit of conversion, but static items should be easy at least.

SPECS: Q6600 CPU. Nvidia 660GTX. 8 Gig Memory. Win 7.
arfur9
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2016 15:41
You can do loads of detail with textures and normal maps
I'm still trying to get a workflow down so its just a test, you can use render engines to make textures and normal maps
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/26539256/paneling.zip

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2017 11:49 Edited at: 3rd Jan 2017 12:05
I think one of the problems isn't so much the models. For example I actually made an object which is literally just a cube. However I spent forever on getting the normal and spec maps to help create the form of the object. I even attempted to make the smudges beneath the spray paint have a bit of a form to them.

The 2nd object was quite similar in that it just used very basic shapes. I spent most of my time getting the bump maps to really reflect the texture of the metal. Also making sure the painted areas were most reflective and the rusted parts and scratches not as reflective. It creates the illusion of a detailed surface. When in fact its just completely flat.

Real Life Reference:

Game Guru Model:

I use this technique in Game Guru because at present optimization can be quite difficult. So I try to minimize the amount of polys with the models I make for it. I don't consider myself any sort of pro at 3D modeling... as I'm not but its good to focus on the details of your textures. Also it helps a lot to increase the Global Spec level when snapping a screenshot of the model within the GG environment with entity shader set to its highest.
Twitter - Teabone3 | Youtube - Teabone3 | Twitch - Teabone3 | TGC Assets - Store Link

i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce GT 740

Attachments

Login to view attachments
stor
Years of Service
User Offline
looks very good
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2017 12:35 Edited at: 3rd Jan 2017 13:00
There are some incredible models on the store and maybe because they are posted cheaply they are assumed to be low quality ?
When Harry was creating his T Rex I think it was mentioned that it was expensive ... But Really !!

Here is a version on Turbo Squid for r $119 http://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/t-rex-rigged-3d-c4d/814338

And here is what Harry gave us for $5 ... I think we can agree this is very high quality stuff ..
In fact all the models in this scene are Top Notch and also from the store ... Most for less than a few Dollars each and if bought in a pack even less than that .. BTW ..Teabone ... Excellent model .. I thought that was the same pic for a second

The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 3rd Jan 2017 12:57
As said above, there are plenty of really good models in the store, some of those models would sell for quite high sums on other stores, but most of the artists here do it more for fun than for making money, and the prices are pretty low, seeing low prices makes a lot of people overlook the quality of some models.

i5, NV960 2GB, 16GB memory, 2x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.
i3 , Intel integrated graphics, 6GB memory, 512GB Generic SATAIII Win8.1.
Intel Celeron (duel Core), Radeon integrated graphics, 4GB memory, 180gB Generic SATAII, WinVista.
Q6600, Intel integrated graphics, 8GB memory, 512GB Generic SATAII, Win7.
seppgirty
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2017 23:25
people made fun of the old fpsc packs all the time. Said they were junk. Once a bunch of those model packs became free on git hub people wanted to use them in other game engines. I keep hearing how good they are...... now.......
Windows 7 Home Premium Service Pack 1.Intel core i5-2300cpu @2.80 GHz 2.80 GHz
RAM 16 gb G-Skill G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1066 (PC3 8500) Desktop Memory

AMD Radeon HD 6670. ASUS Radeon HD 6670 DirectX 11 EAH6670/DIS/1GD5 1GB 128-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card. 1GB 128-Bit GDDR5
Memory Size
1GB
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
I think the models are great and I think the price is perfect, if you want AAA then you need to pay AAA prices and I for one don't want to do that, let's keep the store hobby friendly please.
Nothing stopping you from using the many other stores and converting the media yourself.
lua guide for GG
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=398177770
windows 10
i5 @4ghz, 8gb ram, AMD R9 200 series , directx 11
lordjulian
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey, Teabone. That's metal container model looks awesome! You could make you own movie.
Julian
PM
MStockton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2017 15:50
I think people who do not make models for GG, especially to sell in the store, don't realize that it's a unique challenge in itself. Not speaking of the OP because I don't know him/her, but about this sort of topic in general when it comes to GameGuru. Some people can model just about anything, but getting it to look and perform well at all inside GG requires some major adjustments. Getting just the right poly count working along with a very limited texture set, etc, isn't so easy when most buyers want to see something for GG that is as close to modern AAA standards as possible. Then they want to buy it as low cost as possible and use it inside an engine that has very limited capabilities for what you finally see on screen, regardless of how well it was originally modeled and textured.

Many of the sellers here are quite capable of making AAA worthy products, but what you see from them here is them doing their best to fit within the given abilities of the engine and the budgets/expectations of potential customers. I believe that models for GG will slowly improve, and increase in cost, as the engine improves and allows for more detail and greater import options.

As for scripts, I'll pay anything if it does the job that I need done. I can't write a script to save my life. Seriously. Gun to the head, I'm a goner. I appreciate that some people have the natural talent or the hard-learned skill to write up a good script, and the prices here for most scripts and models alike are more than fair in my eyes.
I tried to sign it but all I did was mess up my screen.
PM
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2017 16:56
@Pete and Pete: Do you have an interesting in learning to code scripts? One of the benefits I think GameGuru has is that you can start by dropping entities down that have logic assigned to them, but then drop into those scripts and tweak them slightly to suit your needs. Is this something you would attempt if the process was easier and very safe?
PC SPECS: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit, Intel Core i7-5930K (PASSMARK:13645), NVIDIA Geforce GTX 980 GPU (PASSMARK:9762) , 32GB RAM

MStockton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2017 18:18
An interest, a desire, a need... All yes. The ability? I'm not sure. I used to be handy with various numbers and letters but have slowly gotten to where it just doesn't click anymore. I can read and write, obviously, but anything that doesn't look like basic writing or currency or a phone number and my brain scrambles. My vision scrambles. I am being serious here when I say these things.

I don't know what or how I ended up this way. For example, HTML and I were good buddies 20 years ago and up until 10 years ago. Now I can barely set up my very, very basic fpe files without getting a headache and taking constant breaks. Could be my vision alone, could be a learning and/or focus and/or memory disability that developed later in life. I'm just not sure. I consider it a "condition" or an "ailment" of some kind, because it certainly isn't how my head and eyes used to work, and I'm only 39 years old. It's strange, and horribly frustrating.

If something made it simpler for whatever this condition I have is, I'd surely take part!
I tried to sign it but all I did was mess up my screen.
PM
Mouaa
User Banned
Posted: 9th Jan 2017 22:21 Edited at: 9th Jan 2017 23:03
Quote: " I spent most of my time getting the bump maps to really reflect the texture of the metal. Also making sure the painted areas were most reflective and the rusted parts and scratches not as reflective. It creates the illusion of a detailed surface. When in fact its just completely flat.
"

Your model makes it looks like it is on another 3D engine and not GG lol

Most of free included models in GG doesn't have normal map and specular textures, instead they use a direct photo source without any work on luminosity, noise details reduction or contrast. So they will not work good with lighting because of photo baked luminosity.

I took some textures from Textures.com and generated normal map and specular map.
The tips is to take care to choose textures that have a good diffuse lighting, not too dark , not too bright, not noisy, that will result in better looking model or texture.
https://s23.postimg.org/u7dklnemz/TEXTUREStest.jpg

This is sad as most GG users will use these textures and will make games that will not reflect GG capabilities.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-07-03 05:11:15
Your offset time is: 2024-07-03 05:11:15