Product Chat / Baked static lights are effecteted by the surface level slider and colors why?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
i want my scene completly dark and only my baked lights to iluminate if i turn down the surface level to 0 baked lights are completly invisimple they are not iluminating also surface level cast shadows whitch i dond want i only wont my lights to casting shadows,
PM
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2017 01:07
For the effect you want, dial down the ambient level slider to zero and then dial the shadow slider to zero asl well. This will remove sun based shadows and remove the sun influence for ambiance, the only remaining influence will come from the baked static lights in your scene. I think I preserved surface intensity for baked lights to allow control of the strength of them, but perhaps this is something you would prefer to be separated?
PC SPECS: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit, Intel Core i7-5930K (PASSMARK:13645), NVIDIA Geforce GTX 980 GPU (PASSMARK:9762) , 32GB RAM

Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 5th Jan 2017 05:41
Yes please Lee , it looks like bloom effects the radius of baked lights and surface level effects the intensity if them, if we could get srperate sliders for those it would be awesome, especially considering having the surface level too high creates weird effects on solid coloured entities on high, so we need to keep it fairly low.

i5, NV960 2GB, 16GB memory, 2x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.
i3 , Intel integrated graphics, 6GB memory, 512GB Generic SATAIII Win8.1.
Intel Celeron (duel Core), Radeon integrated graphics, 4GB memory, 180gB Generic SATAII, WinVista.
Q6600, Intel integrated graphics, 8GB memory, 512GB Generic SATAII, Win7.
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2017 17:35 Edited at: 11th Jan 2017 17:37
Yeah, that sounds good, having to adjust bloom and surface level to try to get your lights to look right is not a very useful method. Especially if you have your scenes looking about right already or of course if you have disabled bloom altogether, to save on speed. For me baking should be fairly wisiwig and not change the scenes look too drastically (apart from improved shadows and light reflections of course). AT the moment some scenes can look radically different in lighting when baked compared to real time.

I also note that we still have semi invisible doors after baking. It seems to affect all animated objects to a degree, but doors are where you really notice. I also find shadows can get cast underneath doors on different floor levels.

It can look pretty cool though, just not wanted in this instance

SPECS: Q6600 CPU. Nvidia 660GTX. 8 Gig Memory. Win 7.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2017 17:53 Edited at: 11th Jan 2017 17:55
The surface level slider controls the intensity of your baked lights so you can't turn that to zero and expect things to light up.

Bloom has very little effect and I currently recommend turning it off as its a massive hit on framerate. You should have no problem making dark scenes where only your baked maps are lighting up. If you run into problems we'd need to see your Slider-settings to investigate further.

Baked scene without bloom or other filtering 1

Baked scene without bloom or other filtering 2

Quote: "surface level cast shadows"

What do you mean?? You can deactivate the dynamic shadows by turning down the "shadows" slider. You also need some kind of box around your scene to block out the skylight (if that is what is bothering you).

-Wolf
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 11th Jan 2017 17:58
Quote: "I also note that we still have semi invisible doors after baking. It seems to affect all animated objects to a degree, but doors are where you really notice. I also find shadows can get cast underneath doors on different floor levels."

That's really odd, the lightmapper shouldn't bake doors at all because they should be set to dynamic so the scripts work on them, so it shouldn't be any different when you do a bake. Might want to shoot that one over to Lee as a bug.

i5, NV960 2GB, 16GB memory, 2x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.
i3 , Intel integrated graphics, 6GB memory, 512GB Generic SATAIII Win8.1.
Intel Celeron (duel Core), Radeon integrated graphics, 4GB memory, 180gB Generic SATAII, WinVista.
Q6600, Intel integrated graphics, 8GB memory, 512GB Generic SATAII, Win7.
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
I've double checked and yes it's doing it in real time as well it seems. Odd I never noticed it in real time before, but I did bake early, so must have missed it. It's the door from the cartoon pack having this issue, but I've seen it on a few others as well. I have actually reported it before on a sci-fi item. It's an odd one as you only see the effect at certain angles. Must be related to the light ray effect. I'll have to check the FPE is not doing something to it possibly. I'll send Lee an example if I don't find anything obvious.

LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2017 09:40
Please send it directly to lee@thegamecreators.com. As per usual, stock media, small FPM, simple step by step so Lee can see what you see
PC SPECS: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit, Intel Core i7-5930K (PASSMARK:13645), NVIDIA Geforce GTX 980 GPU (PASSMARK:9762) , 32GB RAM

DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Couldn't find anything odd in the FPE, so sent an example off. As normal, it seems hard to replicate on a fresh map, but it does show the issue, just not instantly as I have been seeing. I imagine that must be caused by the map being saved and baked often, against this new fresh map. That's probably why I thought it was a bake issue as originally the doors looked fine.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-07-03 04:38:52
Your offset time is: 2024-07-03 04:38:52