Work In Progress / Folly of the Third Reich

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2016 05:48 Edited at: 20th Dec 2016 07:17
Description: The year is 1944, and on all fronts the Nazi Reich is being slowly driven to defeat. The player, beginning as a normal American soldier among countless millions is thrust into the invasion of Normandy. However, the German war machine has begun experimenting with an array of new and dangerous 'Wunderwaffe', wonder weapons, that pose an unprecedented threat to the Allied war effort, one that can only be stopped through the heroic efforts of a crack newly assembled team. It's up to them to stop the machinations of the Reich once and for all, before the dark powers unleashed in their haste to turn the tide of the war come to threaten not just the allies, but the world!

Anyway, this is a project I'm developing largely for fun, but I'll see how it turns out in the end if others think it might be worth playing. I'm trucking along a pretty decent pace in terms of putting solid missions together, inspired gameplay wise by classic WW2 FPS like MoH: Allied Assault, the original Call of Duty and Return to Castle Wolfenstein. As the story blurb suggests, I'm going for a hybrid of 'real' WW2 style missions ala MoH or CoD along with more campy B-movie supernatural silliness ala RTCW, not sure how those two merge together tonally, but I'm not taking this too seriously.

Running into some of the expected AI and scripting problems here and there, and some texture occlusion bugs and general polish across the board, but for the most part it's working pretty well for what it is, a linear FPS. Just need to continue chugging along my mission roadmap and keep learning as I go.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
PM
Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2016 06:48
nice work, I think that you could do yourself a favour by using static lights in the game, and baking them with F3. this will really help for that bar scene, and any interiors you have.

my main critique is that some of the buildings (first row second picture/second row first picture) are a little out of period and could use a replacement. otherwise, this is a neat looking project.
Hire Me! I model, animate, cook, clean, and texture!
UberPig
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks much for the advice. Baking in lighting is definitely one of the uppermost items on the agenda now, particularly as you say because I'm starting to do more interior environments. I'm experiencing one bug with baking in lighting and a few of my main rubble models, which is naturally a bit of an issue in a war game that uses them a whole lot, but I'll probably make a post on that in the bugs section later and in due order and get it sorted out.

Selecting buildings that are period accurate, or at least period accurate enough , while keeping my options open need and variety wise is definitely a challenge at times. I definitely think I'll replace the offending building in the second uppermost shot per your advice, the snow one might take some more messing about for a suitable alternative but is worth experimenting with for sure.
PM
granada
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2016 14:33
Liking the look of this,you are talking about all my favourite games there.

Dave
GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
AMD FX (tm)-9590 Eight-core Processor
31.96 GB RAM
1920x1080,60 Hz
PM
yrkoon
Years of Service
User Offline
Overall, it looks quite interesting.
The snow buildings are really badly out of whack time-wise, much more disconcerting than the light red one in the second image. You might also want to think twice whether you would put a guarding tower close to a flak, certainly blocking a significant part of the sky for the flak, that way.
The rest is promising.
Lives of great men all remind us we may make our lives sublime
PM
UberPig
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks, Granada/ykroon. I'll take those observations into account for rejiggering the snow level a bit.
PM
UberPig
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2017 07:29 Edited at: 8th Jan 2017 03:42
Some footage of two non-sequential missions, video recording quality isn't great but nevertheless

Plus some additional screens

Attachments

PM
Mouaa
User Banned
Posted: 9th Jan 2017 20:41
Your game is very dynamic, and level design is interesting.
I would see some fire combat phases in closed areas with several ennemies, some in front of you, some hidden only showing at some moment , and some coming from your back jumping down from another wall height.
This could happen when you jump from a hight wall down to some closed by door outdoor space, and you must beat all ennemies to get the key to oepn door and continue.
Great work, it reminds me Medal of Honor games.
UberPig
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for the feedback Mouaa, I definitely think those kinds of closed area encounters would add a lot to the gameplay experience and would like to try to add them in soon as I teach myself how to put them together.
PM
granada
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2017 17:42
Liking the look of this very Mutch ,layout is good to.nice work.

Dave
GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
AMD FX (tm)-9590 Eight-core Processor
31.96 GB RAM
1920x1080,60 Hz
PM
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2017 11:08
From the screenshots along.... I was like okay.. but then I checked out the video you have and its actually quite good. You have a very good understanding of game design, that's for sure. Not just a senseless layouts like I'm used to seeing. Everything seems to have a purpose as to why you placed them where you have. It looks like a place the player could actually get immersed in. I like that you have at every turn something in the distance. Feels like a much larger world. Keep up the good work!
Twitter - Teabone3 | Youtube - Teabone3 | Twitch - Teabone3 | TGC Assets - Store Link

i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce GT 740
UberPig
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for the positive feedback guys, I hope to continue trying to make quality stuff. The FPSC assets you ported over have been very useful on this project as well, Teabone.
PM
UberPig
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2017 06:38 Edited at: 30th Jan 2017 06:41
Another few WIP levels in a gameplay video.

Attachments

PM
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 30th Jan 2017 08:21
Looking pretty good so far, only thing i'm not too keen on is the last area, with all the big hedges, and the bright colurs, it feels like i've entered the Shire after a Nazi invasion.

i5, NV960 2GB, 16GB memory, 2x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Nicely done !!!
Looks impressive with some great gameplay
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
UberPig
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2017 02:34 Edited at: 7th Feb 2017 06:03
[quote= Looking pretty good so far, only thing i'm not too keen on is the last area, with all the big hedges, and the bright colurs, it feels like i've entered the Shire after a Nazi invasion.]

Yeah I didn't realize it at first but that mission does look too bright compared even to some of the other Normandy maps I've done now that you bring it up, I'll make some fog, grass/texture and light adjustments I think which might partially help set the tone better, thanks for the feedback. The hedges themselves are my loose attempt to replicate the aesthetic of MoH: AA's hedgerow country missions, and to a lesser extent their actual appearance.

And thanks for the kind words Syncro!
PM
SpaceWurm
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 1st Feb 2017 08:05 Edited at: 27th Jul 2019 14:16
This looks great. Your level design is pretty decent. The only thing, those mountains outside look more like lolly pops covered in sand.

It appears you're trying to set a quick pace of gameplay in the video, but the AI doesn't do this justice as 90% of the time they tend to just stand therre without attacking. Hopefully this will improve when Lee works on the AI after EBE is released!
UberPig
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks much for the feedback landman, I'll definitely be looking to redo the mountains in that section for, as you said, they look altogether very silly at the moment. Getting the AI to act aggressively is definitely a constant challenge, but hopefully in time I can learn how to put it to better work.
PM
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2017 22:50
It looks like a decently paced shoot 'em up! Had a vibe of RTCW.
Oh! And yes, those terrain mountains really need to be changed
UberPig
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for the feedback, Wolf! RTCW is definitely one of my primary inspirations.
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 13:50:00
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 13:50:00