Product Chat / Split screen co-op

Author
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
There is a chance in the future that GG will be able to create a Split screen co-op games ?

what do you think.

synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2016 16:19 Edited at: 14th Dec 2016 16:23
Probably not
At least for the foreseeable future ..
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Split screen games? Can't say I've played a game like that since the 16-bit days Very console based system, can't say I remember any PC games doing it at all. It's not generally a sit around with your mates type gaming system. With that in mind, I doubt it is even a possibility. Does anyone remember a split screen PC game, bar a console game conversion?

Work would be better spent on multiplayer really these days. Although this is mainly thinking of GG as a FPS type engine. Other types of game may well benefit from something like this of course. So possibly way down the line...

SPECS: Q6600 CPU. Nvidia 660GTX. 8 Gig Memory. Win 7.
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 14th Dec 2016 17:28 Edited at: 14th Dec 2016 17:30
Quote: "Split screen games? Can't say I've played a game like that since the 16-bit days Very console based system, can't say I remember any PC games doing it at all. It's not generally a sit around with your mates type gaming system. With that in mind, I doubt it is even a possibility. Does anyone remember a split screen PC game, bar a console game conversion?"

Last time i played a split screen game was Alien Breed on my Amiga, when they updated it and ported it to the PC years later they removed the split screen and made it singe player.

I don't think even the PC port of Speedball and Chaos Engine have the split screen option now.

i5, NV960 2GB, 16GB memory, 2x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.
i3 , Intel integrated graphics, 6GB memory, 512GB Generic SATAIII Win8.1.
Intel Celeron (duel Core), Radeon integrated graphics, 4GB memory, 180gB Generic SATAII, WinVista.
Q6600, Intel integrated graphics, 8GB memory, 512GB Generic SATAII, Win7.
Wolverine
Years of Service
User Offline
Lord of The Rings Return of The King game that I own supposedly has a split screen co op mode.
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Basically split screen was back in the day when Internet was expensive and not so common in every house
Amiga, PS1, etc .... To be honest I thought it was awful ..you couldn't help getting distracted by the other half

Online gaming kind of made it redundant ..
PM
Wolverine
Years of Service
User Offline
I have to agree with Synchromesh I remember playing Star Wars Battlefront 2 with a friend (With split screen mode) and I was able to see exactly where he was and kept beating him. It is more exciting when you play on online mode. The only game I remember being good on split screen was Splinter Cell Double Agent that had a awesome split screen mode.
PM
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
it still exists but mostly for smaller games - i actually think it's better now than before because we have much bigger screens (or even separate monitors), it would be interesting to see it make a come back.
as for GG supporting it.... maybe in 10 years (or sooner if mods become possible)
lua guide for GG
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=398177770
windows 10
i5 @4ghz, 8gb ram, AMD R9 200 series , directx 11
Peri
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
I always enjoyed to beat a game campaign with a friend next to me, and there is lot of split screen great games today also, like army of 2, RE games and more, I asked it because I thinking to create my own, but I see its not very popular thing
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2016 23:06 Edited at: 14th Dec 2016 23:07
I even had the very first multiplayer flight sim which was on the Commodore 64 called " Twin Tornado "
This allowed 2 users on 2 C64's to play against each other ... Unfortunately I never tried it as no one I new could afford a C64 at the time

PM
MXS
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2016 00:09
@Peri I agree with you. I ask for this feature in the beginning when this engine was fpsc reload. I to like to make such a game that two people can play. but the way this engine is now it is most likely not going to happen no time soon being it's missing other feature that is more important.
more than what meets the eye.Welcome to SciFi Summer

Windows 7 home premium 64bit gtx770 sc acx 2gb gpu boost 2.0

Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2016 08:21 Edited at: 15th Dec 2016 08:24
Game Guru at present only supports one camera as far as I know. So the answer is a no. Though interesting enough Lee did make a proposed idea of camera attachments to rockets and things like that back when we were trying to get FPSC Reloaded Kickstarted. Not sure if thats something he'll still be looking into though. Split screen would require two in game cameras to display two outputs side by side. I wouldn't expect support for anything like this anytime soon...
Twitter - Teabone3 | Youtube - Teabone3 | Twitch - Teabone3 | TGC Assets - Store Link

i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce GT 740
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 15th Dec 2016 08:28
To be honest, what we need is for the camera to be an entity and not a fixed camera, most other engines have camera entities that you place in the game scene, or attach to other entities, they don't usually have fixed cameras that you can't change. If we had placeable/attachable cameras a lot of things would be much easier to do, for example third person, cut scenes, and so on.

i5, NV960 2GB, 16GB memory, 2x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.
i3 , Intel integrated graphics, 6GB memory, 512GB Generic SATAIII Win8.1.
Intel Celeron (duel Core), Radeon integrated graphics, 4GB memory, 180gB Generic SATAII, WinVista.
Q6600, Intel integrated graphics, 8GB memory, 512GB Generic SATAII, Win7.
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2016 08:35
Cut Scenes is on the voting list so I guess it would eventually make its way into the pipeline.
Twitter - Teabone3 | Youtube - Teabone3 | Twitch - Teabone3 | TGC Assets - Store Link

i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce GT 740
Tarkus1971
Audio Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2016 09:04
gears of war 4 pc split screen, left4dead 2 splitscreen, with mod, Contagion has split screen too. terminator salvation has pc split screen also. Most, if not all lego games splitscreen also.
Aftershock Quad Core AMD FM2+ 3.5 GHz 8GB Motherboard and Processor, A7700k apu, Asus GT970 STRIX 4gb Nvidia gfx card.
King Korg Synth, Alesis SR18 Drum Machine, Akai MPX8 sample player, Roland Fantom XA Synth, Axus Digital AXK2 Digital Drum Kit, Novation Ultranova Synth, Waldorf Blofeld Synth.
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "gears of war 4 pc split screen, left4dead 2 splitscreen, with mod, Contagion has split screen too. terminator salvation has pc split screen also. Most, if not all lego games splitscreen also."

Console conversions... I think. It's really a console thing and these days even consoles are moving onto online only. Not that all console owners are happy about that state of affairs. There's a place for it still in some games I think, but Game Guru needs to get it's performance up somewhat before even thinking of having 2 screens at the same time. Multiple cameras have many uses and of course should be the main focus for GG here. Once we have them, split screen would perhaps become more possible. Cut scenes are already possible in GG, just have to work around it's limits a bit. I don't mean a video either

SPECS: Q6600 CPU. Nvidia 660GTX. 8 Gig Memory. Win 7.
Sanguis
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2016 19:00
The last Splitscreen games I played were racing games like Lotus. Don't remember other games with Splitscreen...

Ah I had a Tetris Freeware game with that *g*
Alienware 17R3 Laptop - Win10 - 16GB Ram - NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 980M - Intel® Core™ i7-6820HK
lordjulian
Years of Service
User Offline
I play split screen co-op with my brother every Friday on Xbox 360 during our weekly Curry Night. Thirty years ago I played split screen with the same brother, a racing game on the BBC micro, both of us crammed onto one keyboard. Those were the days!
Julian
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-07-03 06:28:31
Your offset time is: 2024-07-03 06:28:31