Bug Reports / Fog rendering not affecting sky at all

Author
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2016 04:37
So per a report from someone else on here with respect to something I had posted RE: advanced lighting/environmental effects, i started testing out some of the fog settings and noticed a very strange phenomenon. It specifically made the sky look remarkably square, with respect to the skybox itself.

So with fog you can see very clearly it's not rendering at all on the ceiling of the skybox and it makes for a very weird looking fog at high intensity levels (and really anything beyond medium)

So anyways, I realize this has probably been this way for a while but it's clearly something that should at least be addressed in even a small part, otherwise what's the point of having a fog slider at all?
Honkeyboy
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2016 09:40
Agreed ive been trying to get the fog to work properly it seems that its hugging the ground now and as you say the higher the intensity the weirder it looks (not like fog anyways)
Intel i5 4950 Quad core 3.3ghz AMD FX 6300 x6 cores 3.5ghz(unclocked)
8gb Ram 8gb Ram
AMD Radeon 7570 1gb AMD Radeon HD 6670 2gb
and a well fed mouse on a wheel

I only smile because i have absolutely no idea whats going on
cybernescence
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Cogwheel Chronicles
Posted: 13th Dec 2016 10:05
The fog settings are applied by different shaders to entities, terrain, characters, skybox etc. I prefer the ground hugging style in that I want to see clear sky above but horizon shrouded. The shaders don't all match in their style in that entities up high eg flying will be fog shaded but the sky isn't. I had to change the entity shader so it would not apply fog above the skyline fog height.

So think this should be configurable if possible. If there's something specific you want now I'll try and help.

Cheers.
Bolt Action Gaming
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2016 16:23
I'm not sure what I'd even ask for in this regard except that it would make sense to have it not be completely blank on the top. Optimally I think you'd want a circular hole filling in from the edges of the top of the skybox, if that makes sense.
Bolt Action Gaming
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2016 18:01
For my purposes, I need the entire skybox affected.
Though optimally in a visually pleasing/aesthetic way. But realistically for my project, I need a sky that also has fog.
Honkeyboy
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2016 20:00
Same with me really i'd like the fog to roll in and semi cover the sky, for games i have the day night system on would be nice if the skybox also became darker so that way if we use lighting for effect as nighttime arrives it actually looks like nighttime. it seems even with a night sky in most cases its hard to get the effect to achieve this atm.
Intel i5 4950 Quad core 3.3ghz AMD FX 6300 x6 cores 3.5ghz(unclocked)
8gb Ram 8gb Ram
AMD Radeon 7570 1gb AMD Radeon HD 6670 2gb
and a well fed mouse on a wheel

I only smile because i have absolutely no idea whats going on
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 13th Dec 2016 21:03
You won't get a dark skybox, the "sun" is hard coded and can only be changed in a minor way.

i5, NV960 2GB, 16GB memory, 2x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.
i3 , Intel integrated graphics, 6GB memory, 512GB Generic SATAIII Win8.1.
Intel Celeron (duel Core), Radeon integrated graphics, 4GB memory, 180gB Generic SATAII, WinVista.
Q6600, Intel integrated graphics, 8GB memory, 512GB Generic SATAII, Win7.
cybernescence
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Cogwheel Chronicles
Posted: 13th Dec 2016 22:09
Quote: "For my purposes, I need the entire skybox affected."

Try the attached as a start ... not sure it is really what you want, but might be a start ...

Back-up your stock sky_basic.fx first then replace with this one in effectbank\reloaded

Perhaps experiment with this line:

float hudfogfactor = (1 - saturate(IN.WPos.y / 50)) * distantfogfactor; //experiment with the 50 factor

Cheers.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Bolt Action Gaming
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2016 02:06
While it's a little touchier with the intensity, it's exactly what I wanted. This should be standard issue for all GG installations!
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2016 03:36 Edited at: 14th Dec 2016 05:47
A good example of how fog should work:

if you skip to the weather section

I'm hoping for night and day cycles we can control ambient levels surface levels and fog

Here's a area fog test using the particle system in FPSC:

I haven't really experienced too much issues with fog yet. Though I only use it lightly:

EDIT: I see what you mean now with the fog not going up high enough. I dont recall that being the case in the past?
Twitter - Teabone3 | Youtube - Teabone3 | Twitch - Teabone3 | TGC Assets - Store Link

i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce GT 740
OldFlak
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2016 08:31 Edited at: 14th Dec 2016 08:32
Quote: "While it's a little touchier with the intensity, it's exactly what I wanted. This should be standard issue for all GG installations!"

Yeah, I agree.

Nice tweak cybernescence!
Would be nice to have a 'Height slider' so we can maybe tweak that value to suit the atmosphere we want to create.

Reliquia....
Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-4160 @ 3,60GHz. 8GB Ram. NVidia GeForce GTX 750. Acer 24" Monitors x 2 @ 1920 x 1080. Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.
PM
Bolt Action Gaming
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2016 14:58
Teabone - it's always been an issue because in the past I noticed when making my skies that if I put the fog on I got a definitive 'square' shape on my skyboxes. It's not a super big issue in small amounts but in extreme examples (such as max intensity, close range fog) it is VERY noticeable.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 07:17:30
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 07:17:30