Product Chat / Lower Terrain?

Author
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2016 02:31
Hi all, I am using the edge of the map along with a custom skybox (with mountains and a ground plane) to create the illusion of being in a much bigger world.

However even when you have the lowest possible point on the terrain - like just above water height - it still looks like your standing on the top of a cliff when looking at the bottom plane of the skybox.

So I was wondering if there is a way to lower the terrain closer to the bottom plane of the skybox, or move the skybox up. Couldn't see any possible references in the Setup ini, so my guess is it is hard-coded.

Is there a Lua command perhaps that could achieve this?

Reliquia....
Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-4160 @ 3,60GHz. 8GB Ram. NVidia GeForce GTX 750. Acer 24" Monitors x 2 @ 1920 x 1080. Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Can you post a pic as an example .... Not quite sure what you mean ?
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
yrkoon
Years of Service
User Offline
I assume he's thinking (correctly) that the lowest terrain height level is located at "half height" of the sky cube, but he would rather have it at or close to the bottom of the sky cube. So, if one walks near the end of the terrain, it at least looks "infinite". E.g., consider the terrain being largely modelled as an island with only its outer rim sectors lowered to show water, which should then blend with the bottom plain of the sky box depicting an ocean surface.
That WOULD be nice...
Lives of great men all remind us we may make our lives sublime
PM
OldFlak
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2016 11:34
Hi synchromesh, yrkoon.

Yes yrkoon has said it better.

Here be a pic showing what I mean. You can see that I have lowered the terrain as far as possible so that it is just above the water plane, but the ground plane of the skybox is obviously much lower than that. What I was hoping to achieve was that the ground plane of the skybox is as near as possible to the same height as the terrain.

In my actual game level I have made models that hide the water plane sticking out the side of the map edge, but of course it still looks like you are much higher up.

It is not a show stopper by any means, but I just thought it would be a way to add depth and detail to the map.

Reliquia....

Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-4160 @ 3,60GHz. 8GB Ram. NVidia GeForce GTX 750. Acer 24" Monitors x 2 @ 1920 x 1080. Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 01:13:19
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 01:13:19