Off Topic / Autumn Dreams Review

Author
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2016 06:58 Edited at: 16th Nov 2016 08:43
ah another game made in Game-Guru FPSC in review on Youtube

At first glance this game didn't actually look like it was made in GG. That was until I started noticing the assets used. and well it wasn't made in GG lol
Twitter - Teabone3 | Youtube - Teabone3 | Twitch - Teabone3

i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce GT 740
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 15th Nov 2016 08:08 Edited at: 15th Nov 2016 08:10
The problem with GDNomad is gameplay and story.

He can put together some visually stunning scenes and maps, and his scripts are pretty cool, but the gameplay element is just terrible, and as said in the review exactly the same in every game. It also doesn't help that his English isn't very good.

He needs to get someone to translate for him properly, that will improve a lot. But most importantly he needs to sit down and work his story out in detail, it needs a lot more story to it, more explanation of what's going on, more direction and less ambiguity, and that story needs to be fleshed out with more gameplay.

One of the biggest issues i see with this game is it was completed in 25 minutes with little to no effort, to me a game like this needs a minimum of two hours play through (if you know exactly what you are doing), with plenty of moments where you have to really think about what you are doing, there also needs to be some kind of danger, or imperative to keep you moving, and some suspense to make you look around and move carefully.

i5, NV960 2GB, 16GB memory, 2x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.
i3 , Intel integrated graphics, 6GB memory, 512GB Generic SATAIII Win8.1.
Intel Celeron (duel Core), Radeon integrated graphics, 4GB memory, 180gB Generic SATAII, WinVista.
Q6600, Intel integrated graphics, 8GB memory, 512GB Generic SATAII, Win7.
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2016 09:08
C'me on Teabone, look closer. I'm 90% sure that this is an FPSCreator game

Yes, GDNomads scenes look very good in most of his games. Also the ones he made in FPSCreator.

Everything else usually falls apart. He blatantly stole ideas from other veteran FPSC users (especially JonezGames) and makes pretty much the same game every time. This one appears to be a little more competent but not yet worth selling in my opinion.

-Wolf
Ertlov
GameGuru BOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2016 09:17
Quote: "He blatantly stole ideas from other veteran FPSC users (especially JonezGames)"

Ah, that explains the Deja Vu feeling I had throughout that.
AMD FX 8Core @ 4GHZ - 16 GB DDR4 - 2xRadeon7950 - Windows 7 Ultimate
3com
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2016 10:09
It looks more like a game demo, than a game.
It is going around the same idea about, ¿where is my key?
Looks for the keys don't should be the main goal in a game, just a tools to open some doors.
Player don't should care about, but, ¿what are there back this door?.
¿There I'll found what I looking for?, and so on.
Just my thoughts.

3com
Laptop: Lenovo - Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 1005M @ 1.90GHz

OS: Windows 10 (64) - Ram: 4 gb - Hd: 283 gb - Video card: Intel(R) HD Graphics

PM
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2016 10:27 Edited at: 15th Nov 2016 10:28
One thing i noticed, and have notice in a lot of indie games, there doesn't seem to be much direction.

What i mean by that is they tend to shy away from actually telling the player what they need to do.

Now this isn't an issue if the game is designed so that the player has to work out various clues to progress. But most of these games don't even have that.

That's why with basic tasks that need to be completed in order, i've created a task journal system to keep track of what they're meant to be doing, and items that need to be collected for tasks work on a flag system that means they can only be collected when you have reached the point in the task where you need to collect them. It's very linear, but i think it will work well enough.

Intel Celeron (duel Core), Radeon integrated graphics, 4GB memory, 180gB Generic SATAII, WinVista.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Ertlov
GameGuru BOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2016 12:43 Edited at: 15th Nov 2016 12:44
Yes, you did, and I asked you if I can purchase it

Quote: "and items that need to be collected for tasks work on a flag system that means they can only be collected when you have reached the point in the task where you need to collect them."

We did that via scripting in Into the Dark, there were plenty of players who hated that
AMD FX 8Core @ 4GHZ - 16 GB DDR4 - 2xRadeon7950 - Windows 7 Ultimate
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2016 13:24 Edited at: 15th Nov 2016 14:33
Quote: "We did that via scripting in Into the Dark, there were plenty of players who hated that "

I pretty sure if you hadn't done it, there would have been more that disliked it because they had no direction, i see it in review videos all the time, i've seen it on hundreds of gaming forums, "wtf is this, why am i picking this up? is it for later? why do i have this?".

People say they want freedom to play a game how they want when they don't have that freedom, but it's been shown over the time that what they really want is to be told what needs to be done, that's why most mmo's have stuck to the quest system, where they point you at something and say go get it, or go kill it.

I read a big article about it a few years back, it was written by one of the lead devs at blizzard, it was very revealing.

Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2016 15:36
I'd say that this translates perfectly well on to real life. People want the illusion of freedom but also need guidelines to follow and "archetypes" to compare themselves to and measure their selfworth to.

Ah...and yes, I've examined the game a little closer and can say with certainty that this is, indeed, an FPSC game, thus this thread has been moved to the offtopic board.

-Wolf
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2016 23:41 Edited at: 15th Nov 2016 23:43
How can it be FPSC? I thought FPSC was indoors only, that has grass and trees and skyboxes

Edit: Yeah you're right, just checked it myself, it has FPI files, so must be either FPSC or an early FPSC:R

Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2016 08:40 Edited at: 11th Mar 2017 23:01
You technically can do outdoors in FPSC they just often dont look good lol. FPSC has skybox and foliage. So I guess it could be FPSC.
Twitter - Teabone3 | Youtube - Teabone3 | Twitch - Teabone3 | TGC Assets - Store Link

i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce GT 740
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2016 11:33 Edited at: 16th Nov 2016 11:35
Quote: "How can it be FPSC? I thought FPSC was indoors only, that has grass and trees and skyboxes"

Hey! I recommend checking out a few of the better FPSC games then.
FPSC has had skyboxes since day 1. Even if it didn't, you could have just placed a large textured cube around your level. Grass and trees are just 3d models like all the others too.(I know that you know this, Belidos, just stating it for everyone else ) So yes, if you remove the ceiling of an FPSC level you technically have an outdoor level.

To make an outdoor level in FPSC, you'd either have to make it extremely small, very dark or know a lot about optimization to have it run properly and be fun.

Our resident Bugsy has mastered this, he made these large city levels in FPSC that actually looked good.

Example 1

Example 2

In FPSC you always had to work against its memorycap, rendering the amount of media and clutter you could have in a level to be extremely limited. Especially if you wanted to have decent lightmapping quality. Combine this with the way it rendered and you could just make much better looking indoor levels. It was geared towards that but that does not mean that outdoor levels where impossible.

GDNomads level here is extremely small and mostly lives off its skybox (I think thats a rolfy skybox btw... might be wrong though)

How do I know for sure its an FPSC game: I can tell by the shaders, (especially the window reflections and Bond'1s herospec shaders), the blob shadows and barely modified FPSC chars (getting all this to work in GG would be a lot of work that I don't see anyone do for this type of game), AI on different levels of the game, the design choices (small claustrophobic levels, not using any of GG's strengths.) and the lightmapping. There are more subtle hints, but this is the big picture.

I've worked on a lot of outdoor levels in FPSC myself and can say that its certainly no fun.

-Wolf

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 14:00:09
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 14:00:09