Feature Creep / Quick search for entities

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2016 23:05
A quick search for entities with real-time updates or just press enter for results; either will do.
When you are just looking for that little rock to finish your scene, but never remember where it is. You can spend loads of time searching when this can be better spent building great maps. When you have gb's of assets this can take time to sort through them all.
Dark Base 900 Pro OJ: Rampage V Ed.10, i7 6950x non-OC, DDR4-3333 64 GB RAM, Win 10/64, Asus Strix GeForce 1080 x 2 MDA mode, Water cooled with an old Victorian cast iron radiator and a industrial leather belt driven fan - That's what you call Steampunked.

Laptop - M17xR3
PM
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
We wish, this has been requested so many times already over the years but one of those things that Lee doesn't want to include for some reason, maybe one day we'll get a decent, easy to use entity selection method
lua guide for GG
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=398177770
windows 10
i5 @4ghz, 8gb ram, AMD R9 200 series , directx 11
gd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2016 01:02
That would be great
Dark Base 900 Pro OJ: Rampage V Ed.10, i7 6950x non-OC, DDR4-3333 64 GB RAM, Win 10/64, Asus Strix GeForce 1080 x 2 MDA mode, Water cooled with an old Victorian cast iron radiator and a industrial leather belt driven fan - That's what you call Steampunked.

Laptop - M17xR3
PM
Unspokenbond
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: GameGuru
Posted: 6th Jan 2017 05:38
This would so rock!!!
Still learning LUA but 'attempting' to build my first game
PM
Flatlander
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2017 18:15
Unspokenbond wrote: "This would so rock!!!"

I concur!!!!!

smallg wrote: " maybe one day we'll get a decent, easy to use entity selection method "

This would be too much like a database/business code. He probably would rather have a 3rd party do this. I had one for FPSC and maybe I'll load up VB6 on my computer and try to work something out. No promises.
When in doubt -- C4 :heh, heh, heh:

-Jamie Hyneman
MrEaKing(YT)
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2017 04:12
I must agree, this would be a great help, or even to rework the folders for the dlcs so it drops all furniture into a furniture folder all characters into a characters folder it could have sub folders but something that makes it easier to navigate the library. Pretty sure I saw a cash register spent about 15 minutes looking for it when I needed it couldn't found it so made my own. lol
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
dont forget to vote for it on the new list
https://www.game-guru.com/feature-vote
lua guide for GG
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=398177770
windows 10
i5 @4ghz, 8gb ram, AMD R9 200 series , directx 11
MrEaKing(YT)
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2017 08:15
voted... and got thinking if you open up the entity folder and have it on list mode showing folders bar. Then use the windows search its not a bad substitute for finding things. Still have to alt-tab but better then searching folder by folder. Just thought I'd share it in case it can help other people.
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 20th Mar 2017 08:23 Edited at: 20th Mar 2017 08:29
In my opinion this is one of the most important UI fixes we need, it's horrible when you have thousands of models and no way to tag/categorize them for easier searching without physically sorting and moving the models, which then leacws you with the issue of downloads and multiple copies of entities in different locations.

Quote: "dont forget to vote for it on the new list
https://www.game-guru.com/feature-vote"

I can't see it on the feature list at all. Closest thing i can find is:

Entity Search Events
Type a name to find entity instances in a level, ability to go to entity locations and delete the selection. Use existing group highlighting system.

What we need is a better way to search for out items in the entitybank before we place them.

Primary Desktop:
i7 7700,k NV1070 8GB, 16GB 3200mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Secondary Desktop:
i5 4760k, NV960 2GB, 16GB 2333mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Laptop:
i3, Intel 4000 series graphics, 6GB memory, 1x 500gb HDD, Win8.1.
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2017 02:20
This has only recently become a problem for me now that I have 1000s of entities in so many folders. Because packs become their own folders, its not as simple as having everything categorized. There is actually no possible way to search for these things in Game Guru you have to open Windows Explorer and search from there.
Twitter - Teabone3 | Youtube - Teabone3 | Twitch - Teabone3 | TGC Assets - Store Link

i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce GT 740
yrkoon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2017 14:41 Edited at: 17th Apr 2017 15:28
Would you think a dedicated program outside of GG could still be helpful ,
which lets you search a (self-created) database of all your entities by a simple search string
(like, 'build' would find all your entities whose names contain 'build", but it won't find things which are only named "house" or "hut" or "church).

It selects all entities matched by their icons' names,
presents the icons to you as you would see them in GG,
and, if you double-click an icon, will show you the path to follow within GG's editor ,
plus an enlarged image of the icon,
so you can be check you hit the proper one.

I recently came across one of my abandoned GG projects of this sort, with the skeleton already there and almost in working order.
The offshots of course are:
* it cannot reach inside of GG,
so, given the concise path, you still have to click yourself through your GG entity window, following the path to actually get to the desired entry,
since the max path depth currently seems to be 6. This is not so bad, right ?

* the search is totally simplistic, i.e, if you search for "tree",
what also will be found is anything else that contains "tree" anywhere in it's name, such as "street lamp" ... things like that.

* since there is an sql-engine in the background, anything from the first non-alpha and non numeric character of a search string on will simply be removed from the string, because it's just too much trouble to intercept false input possibly irritating the engine.

The database build for ~10,000 entities will take about 4-5 minutes once if GG does not reside on a SSD
It will only have to be repeated when you add entities from the store; no update/refresh feature available for the time being.

Once the DB is inplace, say, selecting "build" on my notebook yields 346 entities, and they are being displayed in a flash.
Lives of great men all remind us we may make our lives sublime

Attachments

Login to view attachments
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-04 21:20:56
Your offset time is: 2024-05-04 21:20:56