Product Chat / skipfvfconvert = 1

Author
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2016 04:38 Edited at: 5th Oct 2016 04:40
So I've been going through the rest of the objects and characters from FPSC and started converting even more stuff over this evening. Ive come across an usual issue. When converting over all the Viking Characters over , they become warped. Now I've experienced with with the Modern Day 2 characters as well and the only fix seems to be either completely re-rigging them, which I dont have time for, or using the following line in the FPE file: skipfvfconvert = 1.

Now the problem with using this line as it seems to wipe out the data of the texture paths the models internally reference. So they appear grey. For some reason even if I assign them a texture they seem to still appear grey. Noticed that most of them require multiple textures. All the textures work if I dont reference a texture path and leave out the skipfvfconvert line... but then they look warped. Does this mean the only way to fix these old characters is to actually re-rig or re-uvmap them?

In the picture below, you can see the character using skipfvfconvert (not warped but missing texture) and the character not using skipfvfconvert (mesh is warped)

Twitter - Teabone3 | Youtube - Teabone3 | Twitch - Teabone3

i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce GT 740

Attachments

Login to view attachments
granada
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2016 06:20
Looks like he is back to front .

Dave
PM
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2016 18:08
There should be an override by using TEXTURED field, but as you say if the characters are made from several texture files (multi texture mesh) then they would be difficult to get into GameGuru, and it could be argued we really don't want multi-textured models as characters as its a performance hit to have several draw calls (one for each texture) per character. Maybe email me one of the characters and I will step through and see if there is another small FPE trick that will get them in (performance hogging and all)
PC SPECS: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit, Intel Core i7-5930K (PASSMARK:13645), NVIDIA Geforce GTX 980 GPU (PASSMARK:9762) , 32GB RAM

DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
That's an odd one. Been playing a little today with getting one of the new classic objects to use 3rd person. I had the same warping issues until I used the same FPE tweak. No issues with the texture as such, nothing like the grey texture you show. Can't get the character to actually animate when moving and such though, just the default idle, which is basically running because it is set to animate in editor. No amount of editing of the csi animation settings make any difference. Had any luck trying these characters in 3rd person?

SPECS: Q6600 CPU. Nvidia 660GTX. 8 Gig Memory. Win 7.
MXS
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2016 00:07
@DVader what character are you trying to do 3rd person with? I think I can help because I have got fpsc character working too.
more than what meets the eye.Welcome to SciFi Summer

Windows 7 home premium 64bit gtx770 sc acx 2gb gpu boost 2.0

smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Make sure they have a weapon, third person characters won't animate without one - not via normal method anyway.
lua guide for GG
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=398177770
windows 10
i5 @4ghz, 8gb ram, AMD R9 200 series , directx 11
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2016 13:02 Edited at: 6th Oct 2016 14:20
@ MXS. Yes I remember the thread I was trying the bikini girl out of the classics pack for a test but as normal she wasn't interested

@ Smallg. Ah that may well explain it. I wasn't after a gun toting bikini, girl just an unarmed one to walk around a beach scene. At least for starters.

Edit - Just added a colt, the same as when I first tried this out after seeing MXS's thread by adding it into the fpe. No luck. Not sure if this character can use a gun. The other characters ( couple of the default soldiers) have worked fine. It could well be me missing something still. It would be nice to get this working, although not quite the effect I wanted, if she's all stealthy with a gun. I imagine some of the other more outlandish characters would be worse still to get working if they always need a gun.

Attachments

smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
You can hide a weapon with the set attachment visible command (sorry on phone right now so can't check but pretty sure it's SetAttachmentVisible(e,0) )
You can apply it in script and then attach to the character before placing her on start marker and the script will still run.
lua guide for GG
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=398177770
windows 10
i5 @4ghz, 8gb ram, AMD R9 200 series , directx 11
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2016 14:21 Edited at: 6th Oct 2016 14:39
I was hoping to hide it via a limb or such No go getting her to actually work yet though

Restarted GG over and presto sort of working. The gun is on the floor not in her hands and so looks kinda odd. Of course if I hide it it won't matter, but would be nice to have the option of both Never quite sure with GG if you need to reload it from scratch when doing this sort of thing. It can be a bit of a pain. I would have thought simply deleting the dbo and running again should suffice.

Attachments

MXS
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2016 15:38
no worries I got you on this. no script needed. I will post it as soon as I get the sound effect in order. it will work without and I change the animation to her default animation so she walks like a lady and hit like one too. also got the uv maps in order so she can look like a real wet swimsuit model.
more than what meets the eye.Welcome to SciFi Summer

Windows 7 home premium 64bit gtx770 sc acx 2gb gpu boost 2.0

DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2016 16:06 Edited at: 6th Oct 2016 16:44
Quote: "also got the uv maps in order so she can look like a real wet swimsuit model."

Lol. I improved the spec and normal maps on her first, although I'm no great artist and they probably still need a lot more work. The default models face looks kind of lumpy by default I was trying to see how much better the model could look with better normal and light maps. I certainly see the improvement to the original and defo better than the extremely seamed version I first got when trying this! She kinda looked inflatable. I started with 3rd person to better see the changes. Although since I made the little beach scene, I now want to carry on and see what I can make I already have the better walking anim working I have a better idle as well, but that is overridden by the gun pose atm.

Thanks for the help, I look forward to seeing what you come up with

Edit- Just going to add a weird issue. Loading a pre saved map with this character (saved when not working) causes the character to not work. Even though I had it working on a quick test just moments earlier. I had to delete it and reload the model up. This seems odd as the fpe and model used were the same. It's little issues like these that make this sort of thing way harder than it should be, as often you may have got it working, but loading your scene up with the model in still refuses to work. Trying to save yourself a bit of time by saving a map with the character set and ready is not really possible

Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2016 19:16 Edited at: 6th Oct 2016 19:19
Quote: "TEXTURED field"

ah that's what I might be missing. I'll see what happens with that. Been working on the Ancient Rome and Viking Characters. If that doesn't work I'll send one over. Though I don't want to add too much to your plate. I still think they might have to be remapped with a new texture since they all currently use multi-textures by default. For things like helmet and swords. Let you all know the progress.

DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi Teabone. Sorry for semi taking over your thread with other questions, but felt it a good place to put them rather than starting a similar thread. What 3D program do you use? I can say that Blender is fairly good for converting several textures into one, not that I have done much recently. I tend to use it when I have to and so, always rusty with it. In the meantime, normally with multi texture objects, you simply have to remove any reference to the texture in the fpe, but with animated characters this may be totally different.

I did convert a Blender character into a single texture ages ago, when trying to get a custom character into GG. Worked great, but the animation never worked.

3com
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2016 21:56
Quote: "but with animated characters this may be totally different."

IIRC you should use a single texture if you want character shadows working righ, (effectbank\reloaded\character_basic.fx).

3com
Laptop: Lenovo - Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 1005M @ 1.90GHz

OS: Windows 10 (64) - Ram: 4 gb - Hd: 283 gb - Video card: Intel(R) HD Graphics

PM
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2016 03:28 Edited at: 7th Oct 2016 05:14
Actually I made a mistake. I've been actually using Textured the whole time. With and without there are issues with these models however.

I'm also using "effect = effectbank\reloaded\character_basic.fx"

Quote: "What 3D program do you use?"

I use 3D Studio Max 2012 with the Panda Exporter for X mesh exports. I do also have Blender but I mostly use 3D Studio Max since for the UI im more familiar with.

I'm not sure how much effort I can really put into re-texturing and re-uvmapping. Just converted and uploaded 339 assets more assets since the Expansion Pack DLC has been released and I got 100's more on the way.

Can't wait to see videos and screenshots with the recent Expansion Pack DLC in people's games. I think that would help quite a lot with motivating me to continue with these old FPSC assets.

DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
I can see why you wouldn't want to re-texture them Just a thought for the object you mentioned. I'm sure 3DS max has as many options as Blender for this sort of thing, probably more. I used tro use it back on version 3. But that version stopped working ages ago, and as it was off a magazine cover disk, never used it since A bit hefty price wise, but a great program.

3com
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2016 16:25
I had noticed in "entitybank\Classics\Characters\Sci-Fi" chars using "ai_unarmed.lua" in the fpe file.
I have not that LUA file in my scriptbank folder, but "Classics\ai_classiccharacter_unarmed.lua" in "scriptbank\Classics" folder.

here must be a mistake?

Of course char do nothing while using "ai_unarmed.lua".

3com

Laptop: Lenovo - Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 1005M @ 1.90GHz

OS: Windows 10 (64) - Ram: 4 gb - Hd: 283 gb - Video card: Intel(R) HD Graphics

PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 01:21:34
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 01:21:34