Product Chat / Gameguru Questions for Prospective Customer

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I see it on sale and am about to buy, however some questions:

-Does GameGuru support Sprites in lieu of models? I have limited 3D modeling skills and while the media in asset packs are nice, they certainly lack "charm". I am a tad batter at 2D art and am wondering if the game supports sprites as actors and dynamic entities.

-Does GameGuru support things-without abstraction or overly excessive programming to the point where Unity or Unreal would be easier- like RTS games, nonlinear games with a hub world, and Co-operative multiplayer?

-Does GameGuru support export to mobile phones? Or at least Android/or iOS?

-How is the asset pipeline for GameGuru? Is importing say a model of a box, or a texture for a wall, overly challenging or is it simple? Physics and animation skeletons?

-Does GameGuru by default support 3rd person, or is inherently an upgraded FPS Creator with an essentially forced 1st person due to the nature of the Engine?

-Does GameGuru use NVIDIA PhysX, Havok, or is it baked into the software?

That is all I am really concerned about atm. Ty.
PM
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2016 10:01 Edited at: 3rd Oct 2016 10:04
-Does GameGuru support Sprites in lieu of models? I have limited 3D modeling skills and while the media in asset packs are nice, they certainly lack "charm". I am a tad batter at 2D art and am wondering if the game supports sprites as actors and dynamic entities.

Game Guru is strictly 3D presently. It doesn't support triggered animated sprites off an atlas texture or sprite sheet. Unfortunately.

-Does GameGuru support things-without abstraction or overly excessive programming to the point where Unity or Unreal would be easier- like RTS games, nonlinear games with a hub world, and Co-operative multiplayer?

Currently Game-Guru is really restricted when it comes to supporting different types of games like that and would require a great deal of knowledge with LUA. I believe the multiplayer currently is only for death matches and doesnt support scripts (as far as I know).

-Does GameGuru support export to mobile phones? Or at least Android/or iOS?

Game-Guru currently doesn't support mobile export.

-How is the asset pipeline for GameGuru? Is importing say a model of a box, or a texture for a wall, overly challenging or is it simple? Physics and animation skeletons?

Currently you have to do all the modeling and texturing on 3rd party first. Physics is all incorporated in the engine though you'd have to rig characters and skeletons yourself again in a 3rd party program. Game Guru uses FPE files which are associated with each asset. In the FPE you can assign a texture and model to an object. You can also modify different settings here for physics and collisions. Game-Guru does have an import feature though ive not used it myself. Maybe someone else in the community can better answer this question. But as far as I know you have to most of your asset creation in a different program.

-Does GameGuru by default support 3rd person, or is inherently an upgraded FPS Creator with an essentially forced 1st person due to the nature of the Engine?

Game Guru supports 3rd person. Though you're limited to what characters you can use for it at the moment and what weapon you can use.

-Does GameGuru use NVIDIA PhysX, Havok, or is it baked into the software?

As far as I know it uses PhysX.
Twitter - Teabone3 | Youtube - Teabone3 | Twitch - Teabone3

i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce GT 740
Shoveler
Years of Service
User Offline
Thank you.
PM
science boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2016 12:54
hey there
it uses bullet physics. and remember the software is still w.i.p so lots to do yet, although the basics are there and tbh at the price offered should get it for the free assets alone and games to make with etc. and death matches, it is a bargain for that, but if you are expecting a aaa game with minimal effort you be in a dreaming. you need to learn effect settings scripts basic so you can manipulate templates, but there are some very lovely scripters on the forums, who will always help, and i do suggest keep honing your modelling skills as it is more important to get a unique feel and matching world, as a lot of artists are different so are the models etc, so at least learn to re texture so you can have a matching world, as this is a problem for this engine, lots of models that often look out of place, so just re-texture or change the colours etc of the texture with the model. that is what i am baffled with here, a lot of people say they cant model, but a lot of it can be done by editing a texture on paint.net. should explore and see what you think. and ok it is much better to model but if you have patience determination and maybe an artistic flair ( which is what i believe stumps a lot of people into cant model. and if they really cant model then ok, i will actually help them if needed ) but this is a 3d engine, and will support 1st and 3rd, and i think it will improve more and it is getting better as the months wear on, as to rts, you at ths moment will need to know lua for that a lot of scripting and knowledge needed, timers values and really good ai, so i am not sure if they would incorporate that, i would love it tbh. but too much for them at the moment. hope this helps and hopefully you join us
an unquenchable thirst for knowledge of game creation!!!
brco900033
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2016 13:25 Edited at: 4th Oct 2016 13:29
You can actually export your game to mobile devices... Not a built-in feature though, so you need to buy AppGameKit and another third party tool (according to this tutorial).

Haven't read the post completely, just remembered it when I saw your question.
"There are two ways of constructing a software design: One way is to make it so simple that there are obviously no deficiencies, and the other way is to make it so complicated that there are no obvious deficiencies. The first method is far more difficult." - C. A. R. Hoare
PM
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
RTS would be a huge issue as you can't spawn or clone new objects - everything used must be pre-placed (you can reposition though) in the editor.... Thus your game would have to have a realitively low cap on units and would take a lot longer than it should to load due to all the objects being loaded on start up.
Otherwise it actually might not be that hard to do depending how advanced you go and I have done something very similar (but much more basic) before.

For multiplayer it's steam only and very basic, a decent start but certainly not going to let you build an MMO or anything of the like.
lua guide for GG
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=398177770
windows 10
i5 @4ghz, 8gb ram, AMD R9 200 series , directx 11
Shoveler
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "RTS would be a huge issue as you can't spawn or clone new objects - everything used must be pre-placed (you can reposition though) in the editor.... Thus your game would have to have a realitively low cap on units and would take a lot longer than it should to load due to all the objects being loaded on start up.
Otherwise it actually might not be that hard to do depending how advanced you go and I have done something very similar (but much more basic) before.

For multiplayer it's steam only and very basic, a decent start but certainly not going to let you build an MMO or anything of the like."

So something like Pikmin, or a squad strategy game, with lots of scripting obviously, would be possible. Pretty cool.
PM
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Does GameGuru support Sprites in lieu of models?"

It doesn't out the box, but with a bit of lua programming (well a lot) you can make sprite based games.
https://forum.game-guru.com/thread/215261

SPECS: Q6600 CPU. Nvidia 660GTX. 8 Gig Memory. Win 7.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 01:15:10
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 01:15:10