Product Chat / Partner Accounts

Author
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 1st Oct 2016 23:49 Edited at: 6th Jul 2019 21:44
Just had a random thought. So I'm making a game using GG with a friend. In order for me to ensure that he has the same assets, he needs to buy the same assets as I and visa versa. Wouldn't it be a good idea to introduce a "business" model for a premium price. I mean, the more monet TGC has to invest in GG the better for development. So what about introducing tiers of licences.

1. Hobbiest - single user license
2. Business - up to 5 users
3. Corporate - 10+ users.

With each tier, the users will have access to the library of same assets purchased by the user which owns the license?

If I choose to make a game with a friend, either I give him the assets (which is against the licence) or he has to purchase them too....

Landman
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
TGC could only implement something like that with their own media. Most of the store media is of course from 3rd party artists. So I doubt they could really incorporate the idea in reality. I'm not quite sure now many corporate users they would ever get either.

SPECS: Q6600 CPU. Nvidia 660GTX. 8 Gig Memory. Win 7.
TazMan
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2016 12:05
I don't know how this would affect the license but if there were say a couple of people creating a game, as long as they were drawing from the same Assets Folder then they could both make use of one set of assets. The Assets could be held in a central place that the two people use. Obviously each person would have to own a copy of Game Guru.

As I have said I don't know if this would be against the license or not but you could look into it.
HP Pavilion Laptop - AMD A8-4555M APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics - 1.6GHz, 8GB Memory, Windows 10 Home, 64-bit Operating System.

I've got something to say - It's better to burn out than fade away.
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm going to say here, that although I mentioned above that TGC couldn't really make licenses like this easily, it probably isn't an issue.

Lets look at any small games making company. They will probably buy in a lot of assets, as they don't have the manpower to physically make all their own media. They will however, have several people working on a game. They will all need access to the assets for one reason or another, whatever their role. The company will not have purchased the assets for each staff member, it's not the same as say, 3DS Max or any other application where you need a license for each user. The individuals however, would not be allowed to use those assets for anything other than the game being worked on. So in your case, once the project is done, the other people involved would have to delete the assets.

This is the grey area when it comes to individuals collaborating on a game. Can they be trusted to do this? Ultimately, it's down to them. If they plan on using those assets in their own alternate project, without purchasing them themselves, then there's not much can be done. It would be a shame, most store assets are extremely reasonable prices, cheating the artist of the few dollars asked when making a game to make money would be a low move. I like to think the majority would end up buying an object, if they felt they could make use of it.

I certainly wouldn't condone sharing media willy nilly. Ultimately, if you made a game using someones work and were challenged. You would have to provide proof of purchase of the asset or assets. Don't get me wrong, if there are 10 man teams out there and you really feel you need to buy 10 of everything, I won't complain A little step further to getting a decent CPU and, well a complete update as my current 10 year old system is starting to show it's age, despite my GPU upgrades over the years.

SPECS: Q6600 CPU. Nvidia 660GTX. 8 Gig Memory. Win 7.
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2016 22:32 Edited at: 6th Oct 2016 22:35
Course if your kind of a small team of mates with a few pc's in one room rigged up on your own little network swapping FPM files and models for testing etc between each other I really don't think your gonna get a S.W.A.T team falling through the ceiling
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 01:17:47
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 01:17:47