Product Chat / GameGuru is CPU bound - Upgrader's beware

Author
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2016 11:07
Quote: "Would that really be viable ?

Add a feature ...then a few weeks optimising ... Add another ... then a few more weeks optimising ... and again and again..
Or .... get some features in ... Then optimise because you may need to hit the same code a few times for related features that don't necessarily go in at the same time ?"

Well, any performance downgrade is as good as a bug - and bugs have to be fixed before moving on

But no matter I still just love Game-Guru anyhow....

Reliquia....
Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-4160 @ 3,60GHz. 8GB Ram. NVidia GeForce GTX 750. Acer 24" Monitors x 2 @ 1920 x 1080. Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.
PM
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
@Wizardofid. Your laughter comment, yeah, nice. Great job of proving the old song true.

@ Belidos. Thank you for that. Very nice of you. If you do see something that would be cool! Above and beyond anything I would expect from anyone here. I'm touched by your generosity to be honest. Kudos.

SPECS: Q6600 CPU. Nvidia 660GTX. 8 Gig Memory. Win 7.
JackalHead
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2016 14:48 Edited at: 1st Sep 2016 15:41
This is what GG needs, performance can come later. If GG had these things it would sale a lot more and they would have the funds they needed to pay more coders etc.

Quest Editor:
Shader tool:
Easy custom character import.
Way better character creator: The character creator needs to have the ability to add armor etc to the model. The creator aslo needs a robed model with a 2 sided poly robe, that way you can use alpha textures to make armor etc.
Weapon Editor:
UI editor:
Inventory system:
Particle editor:
Way more shaders and god rays.

Make this a no coding engine like it was suppose to be way back when it was Reloaded and you will have a winner.
For coding we need visual drag and drop coder with standard commands for the peeps that cant code. Or lots of default scripts like weapon drop etc etc

This needs to be done and be done soon... At this point GG is just a level editor. A poor one at that. I can do everything in Unity, Unreal etc that I can do in GG right now. The only thing GG has going for it right now is how easy it is to make static objects
"So let it be written; so let it be done."
PM
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2016 16:07
I'd argue that I have a much much easier time implementing basic gameplay, characters and weapons in GG than I have in unreal engine but I also find myself agreeing with Jackal Head. In parts at least...I can't see GG as just a level editor seeing all the cool things we have done gameplay wise so far. However, these DID require a lot of LUA.

These features would be so great to have, on the other hand, they would take ages to implement.

What do you mean by weapon editor? I see a tool that allows to set up new models as weapons easily. Or do you mean some sort of in-engine weapon editor where you can click prefabs together (add a scope to a rifle and other shenanigans)??

-Wolf
"When I contradict myself, I am telling the truth"
"absurdity has become necessity"
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Make this a no coding engine like it was suppose to be way back when it was Reloaded and you will have a winner."

I can't remember Reloaded being any different to GG, coding has always been required for anything other than basic features. It was GG's move to Steam that first really pushed the Easy Game Maker idea.

Quote: "For coding we need visual drag and drop coder with standard commands for the peeps that cant code."

Pretty sure there is one available. Personally I find coding like this awful. Unreal has it's blueprint system, which I find terrible to use. I much prefer coding actual code rather than having to look for things to drag about. Still, there is a drag and drop lua code utility available, or there was, for people who prefer that. Check out the scripts section, it should be in there to download.

Quote: "The only thing GG has going for it right now is how easy it is to make static objects"

I agree with Wolf. GG is a lot easier to add game-play elements in, than other engines overall. Yes, you generally have to code stuff, but that's nothing new in game dev. There are many built in scripts to make it easier for non coders though. Loads of free ones to choose from and also the store ones. It is easy to use there's no denying that.

For me AI is the biggest failing at the moment for making a good game. Performance is not as big an issue. Although if I were at a point where I wanted to release a game, I'd want it to run on as many systems as possible, not just top end machines. I always find myself spending forever on getting things running well (often to the point where I am sick of the sight of it), it would be nice to have to wrestle with that less often.

Just seen a new GG game on Youtube. Nothing said it was a GG game, but I can spot em pretty quick. It looks fairly decent for a GG title graphically, but the frame rate was not the best considering it was probably running on a pretty decent system. Overall though, it was a tiny map and looked quite repetitive. The AI was as ever, not very good and pretty much ruined the effort at atmosphere the dev had obviously spent some time putting in to it. That's why most GG games to date are basically walking sims (in the dark). Get the AI up to par and GG would certainly see more sales.

Lighting as well needs updating. 3 lights is not acceptable these days, it feels like I'm still using DB Classic at times in this regard and that was DX 8 Baking is pretty nice, and can add many static lights to a scene, but adds so much to the memory footprint I find I can't bring myself to use it. It's the best option at the moment though for good lighting. More lights and different types would be luxury and also really improve what can be done graphically! Lighting is so important these days and done so well in other engines. GG would look way better with a lighting upgrade!

I have put in 1620 hours according to Steam so far since it's relaunch so can safely say it's my most used software. You can probably double that, as I used Reloaded even more often (it was new). Game speed is normally what knocks any project on the head in the end, so I'd say it's quite important. If I start hitting less than 30 fps it's normally toast.

SPECS: Q6600 CPU. Nvidia 660GTX. 8 Gig Memory. Win 7.
science boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2016 20:16
Thank you synchro and wizard for teaching me.to be happy again. I will be more happy and appreciate the great crew around here. I was having a monthly cycle.I think. Got over it. Plus 70 hour weeks working do ya head in a little. Especially when manager . So moaning as now ceased and I will.be happy positive and enthusiastic even to the ebe
an unquenchable thirst for knowledge of game creation!!!
Gtox
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2016 20:18
Quote: "and I will.be happy positive and enthusiastic even to the ebe"

I'll believe that when I see it
JackalHead
Years of Service
User Offline
I would argue most of this. For one, its not hard to get a custom character into Unity or Unreal. Also they both come with default scripts to make a quik game just like GG. No to mention you can download lots of good free stuff for unity from the player base. Theres all kinds of mmo, rpg addons etc. However I will agree that GG has the easiest way to get static objects into it. As for the rest its just about like every other game engine out there. Code this code that...BAH, I can live with that. What is killing me is no quest creator or inventory system and the thing that kills me most is custom character import. I would figure by now that it would of been added, but nope. Its driving me nuts not been able to use my own characters.. As for weapon editor, where? I havent seen one in the engine.
"So let it be written; so let it be done."
PM
science boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2016 16:03
Quote: "I'll believe that when I see it "

lol, i am sure my slight turn into happiness may flip to moaning.
an unquenchable thirst for knowledge of game creation!!!
Equinoxe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2016 17:25

Quote: "
I've said this a number of times but I don't think the voting board is the way to go when developing software.

There are core elements such as performance, lighting, physics and AI which should be done to a high standard before getting into things like EBE and menu editors. The voting board doesn't work because it gives the community too much control and allows 'features' which can be achieved with a little extra work to become higher priority than core engine functionality required to deliver a quality, stable game.

Lee said himself after several releases dedicated to performance he wanted to work on other things which is fair enough. When you are working on a long term project its important to keep yourself motivated and interested. However I would prefer the limited resource TGC has to be used on core work and ideally open up the engine / source code for the community to work on the nice to have stuff.

The reason engines like Unity and Unreal have made huge strides is because of the amount of input the community has, not just with media but with tools and plugins. LUA was a step in the right direction and exposing more variables but I would like to see GG go open source in 2017.
"

I completely agree with you and so I made known also, but it seems that they will take a different way. There will have to be patient and wait to see how it evolves!
Intel i5-6600K 3.5Ghz, 3GB 780 GTX, 8GB DDR3, Win 7 x64 Ultimate with SP1
Asus k53SV Intel i5-2430M 2.4@3Ghz, 2GB GT 540M, 4GB DDR3, Win 7 Home Premium x64
Sinclair ZX SPectrum 48k, Sinclair ZX Spectrum 128k +2A
AMIGA 500+ 2Mb (1MB Chip + 1MB Fast)

PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-06-29 03:22:22
Your offset time is: 2024-06-29 03:22:22