Product Chat / Pure White Terrain Transparency Issues

Author
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2016 18:29 Edited at: 15th Aug 2016 18:29
Sorry if this is in the wrong board. I debated whether to post in Bug Reports, but settled on Product Chat instead.

So it appears that whenever I apply solid white (or various shades of gray) as a terrain texture, and turn the terrain shader to high or highest, it causes a transparency bug. This does not occur when the terrain shader is lower than the high setting, and seems to happen regardless of whether the colour used is solid white or solid gray. I have also tried exporting to a number of different compression types to no avail. I'll provide a screenshot below of what I mean, and thanks in advance for any help that's provided.

Signatures are overrated.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
wizard of id
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: CSGO
Posted: 15th Aug 2016 18:42 Edited at: 15th Aug 2016 18:44
Engine can't render pure white or black, you need to use a off black or white colour....

BTW the issue with gray texture is an issue with the normal map and rendering engine, have a look normal terrain textures do exactly the same you have used or possible the texture not being seamless, alternative
Win7 pro, Intel 2500K @3.7ghz 660GTX 8gig ram 16tb HDD
darimc
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2016 19:07 Edited at: 15th Aug 2016 19:09
Thanks for the advice, WoID. Unfortunately, this is happening for me with any shade from pure black to pure white and all grays in between. The shade has little affect on the transparency issue it seems.

Here is a screen using a gray texture to demonstrate that it is affected similarly:

Also, I didn't quite understand the second part of your post. There is no use of a normal map on the solid-coloured texture, and it is simply a filled canvas, so there would be no seams either. I have also not experienced this problem with any of the other terrain textures I have been using--only with solid shades of gray.

Attachments

darimc
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2016 16:05
Anyone else have suggestions of any sort? This is rather crucial to the concept of the project I am working on, so hopefully someone has some insight into this issue. I have tried with no success in working around this, so maybe it would be best to contact Lee directly on this is no one else is sure.
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2016 14:44 Edited at: 25th Aug 2016 14:47
Not sure what the problem is? I've just quickly editied the default terrain to look white. Works fine on all settings. The slight lines about are where I didn't paint over the old texture properly. All I can suggest is remember the normal texture for the material you are editing needs to be changed to suit your new white material. Not sure what WizardofID means by GG won't display pure white. This is pure white as far as I know.
I include a zip of the terrain I edited.
If its the transition between other textures, that is the issue then you are pretty stuck. GG's way of blending terrain textures from one to the other is pretty bad in general.

SPECS: Q6600 CPU. Nvidia 660GTX. 8 Gig Memory. Win 7.

Attachments

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-06-29 03:20:12
Your offset time is: 2024-06-29 03:20:12