Product Chat / [LOCKED] GameGuru is a huge disappointment.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline

GameGuru has lot of potentials and technically the easiest way to get in to 3D game development yet it a huge disappointment. Originally, GameGuru started as an improved version of FPS Creator that was aimed to make AAA quality FPS games. All the big titles have been tested by Lee for reference what a AAA FPS game is looks, feels and plays like and the development of FPS Creator Reloaded has started but years later, it doesn't feels like an AAA or even a complete FPS game engine but an education tool for kids instead.

I'm explain why:
Originally promised good optimization, but after years of development, instead of trying to optimize the engine, Lee decided to "target modern hardware". I understand we can tweak the settings and also my old GT 430 is just too old but what I'm saying is that, more complex games runs better on my config at higher settings then any of the example levels comes with GameGuru.
Fine, let call GameGuru a next gen AAA engine and accept the fact it requires good hardware. I need to upgrade my graphics card anyway to run new games. But this statement leads to the next thing that made me disappointed.

Originally promised AAA quality visuals but years later the visuals are still not AAA. When someone mentioning to me "AAA visuals" the first thing comes in to my mind is S2Engine. Okay, it not true, but considering GameGuru is an Indie engine I think would be not fair to compare it to big commercial engines such as Unreal and CryEngine. S2Engine is a similar Indie engine developed by a single person from low budget but take a look at the visuals, the ocean, the weather and cloud effects, rendering. This is what I would expect to see in GameGuru when we are talking about "AAA visuals".

Originally promised AAA quality assets and animations. The first assets was indeed very good quality of it time but if you take a look at the assets today..... I don't really want to complain on this as the assets comes with GameGuru is still better and more then what you get with any other engines but this is not what was originally promised. In the next update many assets going to come from FPS Creator Classic with updated textures which is great in general but this is not what I would call AAA.

Originally promised AAA quality soldier AI. An unstoppable Predator that is going to use stairs, climb ladders and walls, kick the doors, jump through windows, jump from heights, find covers and shoot from covers, find the fastest way to catch the player wherever the player is hiding.
Years later what we got is a zombie and creature AI that able to walk around and attack or run away and it even works only on ground level.

Originally promised a detailed character builder where we can build our very own characters, character creators of certain RPG games has mentioned as an example. Years later, in the character creator we can swap heads. That's it. Okay it not true, we can also add hats, helmets and change hair but yet again we are years after the promise has made and the result is nowhere near as good and detailed as it was originally planned.

Later, the team decided to open up the possibilities and advertise the product as something to make not only FPS games but anything using the power of Lua scripts and call it GameGuru.
After years and complete conversion of the engine from DBP to C++, we can't even make a proper TPS as the camera code is still hard coded in the core engine and the way scripting works is a complete joke as we need to puzzle existing features to get the result we need but in most of the case the result is just ugly because of the limitation and poor implementation of the commands and Lua.
Ideally, Lua should be integrated in to the core and EVERYTHING and I really mean everything should be using a Lua script that we can open and modify just the way we want or create a new script form scratch. Including the player camera and the controls.
But instead, many things still hard coded in the engine and things that finally can be controlled through Lua, are very limited in the way what we can really use it for. If you are trying to use a Lua command outside it original use case, there is a good chance it simply not going to work as you expect, because it is not intended to be used that way and you can see many examples of this in the Twitch broadcast when Lee trying to get new staff done in Lua using the commands he made.

EBE... It not even released yet and I can't even remember what was the promise I think the only thing mentioned was we are gong to be able to build anything, but god sake, from cubes only? While it still in beta, please consider at least for this feature to go beyond the minimum from the start and do something similar to the editor of Space Engineers for example. I would be completely happy with an editor like that, and the only thing seems to missing is more variation of shapes, why is that so difficult to add more shapes from the start?

Why every single feature coming and did come to GameGuru is brings only the minimum and then remain like that because the devs move on to the next feature before anything is complete?

As of today, in GameGuru there is no a single feature that would be complete and polished, everything just rushed and sort of works "fit the purpose" and the upcoming EBE is the best example of that. Why EBE is not intended to be released as a complete and polished tool but instead only brings the minimum feature we can get? In my opinion this way of development need to be stopped. We need complete and polished features from the first day of release.
I would even pay for every single feature as a DLC but please, make it complete and polished.

I know I'm going to get lot of hate from people love GameGuru, and appreciate all the efforts Lee has put in to it.
I'm amazed what people can do with GameGuru and I agree on that, GameGuru has lot of potential and lot of things to offer already but according to original plans and promises GameGuru is a Huge disappointment to me and the way it developed makes me feel I'm never going to get the AAA FPS game engine I was originally backed years ago

By opening this new thread, I'm really hope the devs going to read this and realize the development of GameGuru is going in to the wrong direction, at least if GameGuru is still intended to be a serious AAA engine and not only a toy that kids can play with and take the first steps in game development.

Thanks.
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2016 20:13 Edited at: 14th Aug 2016 21:37
To be honest much the above you mention and what you are talking about was part of the original Kickstarter which did not succeed so TGC got other funding which was no where near as much.. You really cant hold the promises of the kickstarter if it never succeeded. No doubt some things couldn't go as planned as the funds just weren't available . But GG still has a few tricks up its sleeve to come yet

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tgc/fps-creator-reloaded
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
seppgirty
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2016 22:22
Quote: "Originally promised AAA quality visuals but years later the visuals are still not AAA."

I always thought that it was a mistake to advertise guru as a AAA engine.That set the bar too high and opened the door to criticism and disappointment. It is an engine for beginners and enthusiast and should have been advertised as that. For someone like me that doesn't ever plan to use guru as a source of income i'm ok with it.

I also own the S2 engine. While the visual aspects are much better than guru. It is much harder to use and it is still plagued with low framerate. You need a very high end computer just to get 30 fps.
gamer, lover, filmmaker
granada
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2016 22:47
Quote: "To be honest much the above you mention and what you are talking about was part of the original Kickstarter which did not succeed so TGC got other funding which was no where near as much."

Very true synchromesh,i had forgoten about that.

Dave
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I also own the S2 engine. While the visual aspects are much better than guru. It is much harder to use and it is still plagued with low framerate. You need a very high end computer just to get 30 fps."

I own it as well and its been around since 2011 so its not new. Not very stable for me always locking up
I have yet to see a game created with it ...or any real WIP's to be honest ..
PM
granada
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2016 23:39
Quote: "I own it as well and its been around since 2011"

Me to,got it when it was first released.great engine but not for the someone starting out.

Dave
PM
MXS
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2016 00:39 Edited at: 15th Aug 2016 00:41
I don't understand you guys who make threads and posts like this. guru have most of the things from the kickstarter or most of the things to come. from the voting board. you all must understand making a game engine takes time and things like the voting board change when some things were on the way. but Lee and TGC still stuck with the plan from kickstarter and only change some things from the plan before to make better improvements. here from the kickstarter list we have have already or to come later.

Terrain
Physics
Advanced AI
Weapon enhancements
Game play improvements
High quality characters
Advanced graphics engine
Water integration
Exterior scenery
Import Level Geometry
Improved BOT AI. coming soon
Left hand and dual wielding weapons coming soon on vote
Weapon and Ammo Properties
Cartridge Ejection System like bullet shells
Hold to zoom
Shot Detection
Tracers & laser beams which I have made already and will be release soon as the the weapon system is open to this.
Proximity flak (land mines)
Allow character corpses to spawn an object at its location
Improved fog effect
Improved scene culling
Flash light support
Dynamic & immobile objects taken into account by the light mapper.
Directional Lighting
Double memory cap
Larger Levels
Improved Memory System and Performance

now this is not everything but it is most of the things we was promise. I do not look at this engine as a AAA engine and neither do I care about that. I'm not a AAA developer and I don't have a group of AAA developers so why do I need such a engine. if was a AAA developer then I would skip this engine and use unity or udk. just like the same goes for those who use 2D game engine like yo yo gamemaker. this is why there are different game engines out there that is for everyone need for making games. we all just need to give it time and allow Lee to do his thing.

also this was promise form the kickstarter.[quote=]The new level size will be increased to 200x200x100 making the area for level creation five times larger. Legacy support will load classic sized levels into the center of this area, allowing your levels to expand in every direction.

we now have 500x500 and is way better then fpsc 40x40. all in all I feel guru is a 100 times successful then fpsc and fpscx10 put together. I think a lot of things are being over look about the engine compare to what was promise in the kickstarter and what it is as a game engine it self. so ideals will change from time to time but that is a good thing. the constkit was a ok ideal but the EBE is better. We all have an good ideal for our games but we scrap the old ideal because we have a better one. so this is going to happen a lot with this engine as Lee is learning as he goes through the process of making the game engine. what was once fpsc R or Reload is now Gameguru.
more than what meets the eye.Welcome to SciFi Summer

Windows 7 home premium 64bit gtx770 sc acx 2gb gpu boost 2.0

Jerry Tremble
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2016 01:00
I usually jump on threads like this in defense of GG (I'm one of those "fanboys", lol), and this one is no different, although I'm not going hate on the OP. Yes, features are added in an incomplete state while moving on to the next feature. I don't understand the logic of that myself, but then I'm not making a game engine. I think the real key to being content with GG is patience. I think when GG hits the five year mark I'll look back and ask if it is where it should be. That time is some time in late 2018, I think (correct me if I'm wrong, please, I need to mark my calendar!) I expect that as the most wanted features are in place, Lee will revisit each of them and perfect them. I just look at everything as a WIP. As far as AAA games, I think that is more up to the person making the game than the engine. I've seen enough examples around here to know it is possible to come very close.
Desktop: i7 4770@3.4Ghz, 12GB RAM, Win 10/64, GeForce GTX 1080, 1TB SSD, 1TB HDD; Laptop: i7 4800MQ@2.7Ghz, 16GB RAM, Win 10/64, GeForce GTX870M , 1TB SSD.
PM
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2016 02:29
I'm inclined to lock this because we had threads like this before and we are generally just going over the same stuff once again and it almost always ends in hostility but since you took the time to be so elaborate I let this slide as long as the discussion remains as polite as it is now. All your points are valid though.

Quote: "GameGuru started as an improved version of FPS Creator that was aimed to make AAA quality FPS games."

I don't recall this being stated but I doubt that you made this up. I don't have the Kickstarter campaign memorized and it was quite some time ago.
Let me just say that 1.) AAA is a loose term redefined every year. 2.) Terrible marketing strategy for an easy game maker because even if the engine could achieve it, most users could not and would constantly whine about it not being what they hoped it to be. 3.) Really implausible. AAA shooters are among the most visually and technically extensive with highly skilled people making the magic happen. Doing something from scratch that lets hobbyists do that would be quite revolutionary. Unreal and Unity can do this in theory but it needs quite a few people putting in a lot of time to get there.

I agree in terms of visuals that giving our artists a better lighting engine and more in terms of materials to work with would really benefit the project drastically. Not a fan of S2 myself but you can achieve higher visual fidelity with it. Yes. I'm happy with what I can do now, personally, but its inconvenient, clunky and requires quite a few tricks. An update on this is however promised to hit sometime around winter or 2017 as far as I am aware. Lets see.

Quote: "Originally promised AAA quality soldier AI. An unstoppable Predator that is going to use stairs, climb ladders and walls, kick the doors, jump through windows, jump from heights, find covers and shoot from covers, find the fastest way to catch the player wherever the player is hiding. "

Wouldn't you have to script in the environment into the AI to achieve this? Like they did with the still almost unrivaled AI of the first FEAR game by Monolith?
Sounds hard to get this going as a dynamic and easy feature for a game maker. ...but I don't know too much about AI and coding so I might be wrong. If they did indeed promise this...we are a far cry from it.

Quote: "Originally promised a detailed character builder where we can build our very own characters, character creators of certain RPG games has mentioned as an example. Years later, in the character creator we can swap heads. That's it. Okay it not true, we can also add hats, helmets and change hair but yet again we are years after the promise has made and the result is nowhere near as good and detailed as it was originally planned."

Yeah, that entire feature seems rather pointless to me. Especially since there where better systems in games for over a decade now.

Quote: "After years and complete conversion of the engine from DBP to C++, we can't even make a proper TPS as the camera code is still hard coded in the core engine and the way scripting works is a complete joke as we need to puzzle existing features to get the result we need but in most of the case the result is just ugly because of the limitation and poor implementation of the commands and Lua.
Ideally, Lua should be integrated in to the core and EVERYTHING and I really mean everything should be using a Lua script that we can open and modify just the way we want or create a new script form scratch."

I respect the hard work the team has put into game guru but I can't say that you are wrong with your criticism. Yes, this is true.

Quote: "EBE... "

Don't care personally so I don't have much of an opinion on it yet. From what I have seen it does echo the old segment system that I enjoyed using but in general: no comment.

Quote: " a serious AAA engine and not only a toy that kids can play with"

A game engine is always a toy no matter how flashy the results or how much money you can make with it. We are making videogames. You are free to pretend otherwise but are never going to convince me

...but you are of course entirely right. The whole AAA thing will just not happen but we are still having a rather basic tool in comparison. Yeah, I enjoy Game Guru a lot but its a construction site in every aspect.

What I think makes Game Guru is the ingenuity of its community. Just like FPSCreator. Its a deeply flawed but creative tool with some great people making it something special in my eyes. If you don't want to stay along for the ride, because of the obvious glaring holes in the boat I can fully understand that though!

-Wolf

"When I contradict myself, I am telling the truth"
"absurdity has become necessity"
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2016 10:19 Edited at: 15th Aug 2016 11:39
@Zigi

I'm going to take Wolf's advice and lock this one leaving you with my first post which I feel explains most if not all of your questions ... Who knows ... If the funding had been reached perhaps those kickstarter goals may have been more of a reality now
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To be honest much the above you mention and what you are talking about was part of the original Kickstarter which did not succeed so TGC got other funding which was no where near as much.. You really cant hold the promises of the kickstarter if it never succeeded. No doubt some things couldn't go as planned as the funds just weren't available . But GG still has a few tricks up its sleeve to come yet

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tgc/fps-creator-reloaded
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-28 23:10:10
Your offset time is: 2024-09-28 23:10:10