Product Chat / voting for levels

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2016 16:57
The more I script the more I don't need from the feature vote, like levels, would it not be better to script that and have those vote points for something else? The more lee does with other things the more lua is going to open. Just keep that in mind while modifying your vote.
Markchapman10 is my Skype let's have some dev talk.
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Levels? They are already supported. I must be misunderstanding what you mean. As a scripter I have been banging on about some of the options that take preference over real features. There nice, great to make things fast and simple, but until the engine is solid, fast and useful, not really much point in em. As said most of the silly ones can be scripted around. When they are put into GG, they will probably be scripted as well.

SPECS: Q6600 CPU. Nvidia 660GTX. 8 Gig Memory. Win 7.
MChapman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2016 02:40
I meant rpg elements, lol, you get the point though!
Jerry Tremble
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2016 03:27
I get what you mean; took me a while, had to look through the features! Experience levels, (XP Levels in the list of features). I agree, and I'm not that great at scripting. Much of what is in that list can already be scripted. The whole EBE thing, while neat, and I've enjoyed playing with it a little, is kinda redundant when anyone with a computer and an internet connection can do what it does, only better. Not faster, necessarily, but better. That was a few months development wasted, IMHO, simply because there are other more fundamental things to be fixed. Yet that was at the top of the list, over decent AI. Perhaps there are some around here that have an internet connection, but no computer? Or perhaps a computer and no internet connection? I think not! Menu editing? Really? I still laugh at that one. All settings to have equivalent Lua commands would open up most of the rest of the options to those who can script and it may even enhance the skills of those who aren't quite that comfortable with it (like yours truly). Either way, the engine wins as many things can be worked on simultaneously. And these words are coming from a "fanboy", lol!
Desktop: i7 4770@3.4Ghz, 12GB RAM, Win 10/64, GeForce GTX 1080, 1TB SSD, 1TB HDD; Laptop: i7 4800MQ@2.7Ghz, 16GB RAM, Win 10/64, GeForce GTX870M , 1TB SSD.
PM
lordjulian
Years of Service
User Offline
Not everyone is good at scripting though or modelling. This is, after all, the easy game maker. I think the EBE will let me create stuff I could never otherwise create without a very steep learning curve. I'm really excited about that.
Julian
PM
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Ah XP levels I see I did a farming script that had XP for planting and harvesting crops, with better crops available when you hit certain XP levels ages ago. not sure if it's still on the forums now though and if I even still have it. For some reason many people don't think having equivalent Lua commands is that important, but would open up GG to many little things. Want your XP to mean anything? Then we need more commands so you can run faster as you level up, jump higher, slow down if winded, sprint etc. There's all sorts of RPG type elements that could be added fairly quickly and easily. I'm sure also many people who can't script would end up seeing free scripts available as well as paid ones. I'm hoping we will see this added sooner rather than later.

SPECS: Q6600 CPU. Nvidia 660GTX. 8 Gig Memory. Win 7.
Jerry Tremble
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2016 14:43
Quote: "Not everyone is good at scripting though or modelling."

I understand that, but learning is part of any endeavor. I can model fairly well, but my texturing sucks. So I keep practicing. I can script, but if I have more than 20 lines I get lost, lol. But look how much has already been done by scripters. If the engine were opened up to Lua, I'd bet most of the other features would be done in less time than it would take Lee to put in particle effects and overhaul the rendering engine. (Those are just two features I threw out for examples off the top of my head; they do not necessarily represent my most wanted features).

Quote: "I think the EBE will let me create stuff I could never otherwise create without a very steep learning curve."

But what good are those buildings if your characters can't use them? In the long run, there is nothing wrong with the bells and whistles, it's just the order in which things are prioritized is a little messed up. Besides that, it seems they move on to the whistle when the bell doesn't even ring yet. (How's that for an analogy? ). As an example, I submit the character creator. It's all nice, but far from what I would consider complete, but then some community members stepped up and made it so we could import Fuse characters (almost) directly. They picked up where GG stopped. Third person is listed as a feature already in place, but how far can you go with that "out of the box"? Again, folks stepped up to the challenge and taught us how to do it for every character (still, with limits, but if core features were already in place, then "third person for all characters" wouldn't even have to be on the voting list. I could go on and on all day and pick apart the whole features list, and I know threads like this come about when things are slow around here. I'm usually one defending GG, so in a sense I'm being hypocritical. I will stop now!
Desktop: i7 4770@3.4Ghz, 12GB RAM, Win 10/64, GeForce GTX 1080, 1TB SSD, 1TB HDD; Laptop: i7 4800MQ@2.7Ghz, 16GB RAM, Win 10/64, GeForce GTX870M , 1TB SSD.
PM
MChapman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2016 15:03 Edited at: 26th Aug 2016 15:07
Maybe this feedback will reach the people voting for the menu editor, and push lua scripting to the top! thanks for posting guys!

edit: we should code the systems that is on the voting board, and post them up to show everyone what it can do. For every feature that gets put up there we should script it with what we can do.
Jerry Tremble
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2016 15:07
Quote: "Maybe this feedback will reach the people voting for the menu editor, and push lua scripting to the top!"

We can only hope! Thanks for starting yet another of these threads, lol.
PM
science boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2016 18:04 Edited at: 26th Aug 2016 18:35
M chapman perfect example of good skills but do elaborate?

do you mean.....

a) you will put up a thread on how to do a feature or just show what can be done
b) you do a feature and post it up for everyone free.
c) or simply throw it to lee for adding to the engine to speed up the engine.
d) or you on about mercenary scripting? as in make and sell the scripts?

if a) a good and hopefully simple way to show what you can do if giving step by step, can work fantastic, if to show off whats the point of affecting others votes for self gain! and others frustration

if b) that would be noble and worthy of my vote to help you out in your team ethics my vote is yours

if c) again would be noble and it will help speed up the engine so all win again my vote is yours

if d) getting people to change their votes so you can make money off us is a bit naughty really. but up to you and the voters, but i wont be voting lua

look forward to your response i am getting you are a noble person and worthy of honour and good deeds
an unquenchable thirst for knowledge of game creation!!!
science boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2016 18:05 Edited at: 26th Aug 2016 18:21
hi jerry by the way

also in the ebe creation time, i have split up with a woman bought a house, gutted a house, re-decorated it on my own including new flooring tiling painting glossing fittings doors, curtains etc. new kitchen basically,shelves, a major detox of the place and moved in destroyed left stuff and generally did this and worked 50 hours a week and found a new woman as well as sort out all the paperwork with house and bills etc. and all single handed. and we are still waiting on something that is not even essential to the engine and this all happened in half the time of ebe.. moan and fun observation over.
an unquenchable thirst for knowledge of game creation!!!
MChapman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2016 01:30 Edited at: 27th Aug 2016 02:02
I am not noble or anything like that, nor do I know lee at all other then the maker of this software so I wouldn't email him, an nor am I after any publicity. I just want to be able to script every aspect of the engine without running into any hard coded obstacles.

All of my scripts i make will be free, this is a hobby not something I do for any kind of money. I simply don't have the time for a team or giving support for scripts I sell, if I sold scripts i would have to give support and probably updates. I was part of another engine a while back called rpg maker (when xp came out nad many people were switching to vx) and finding specific scripts I needed was a mess without learning code so I know exactly how you feel when you can't code and want/need a script to do something specific.

I do hand it to the guys who sell there script I don't blame them at all I wish I had the time to do so =]

I also would like to script the feature list! Once I get my system done ( some of the scripts on that (the menu system) ) will be a start, but I at the moment want my list done so i'll have it for my game when I get my own house paid for and can maybe klck back to part time. All in due time however.

Congrats on getting so much done on your house.

edit: If I was to make a post like the one I mentioned above AI would be out of the question, I would pay money for good AI, however lua is the top vote for me.
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2016 08:31 Edited at: 27th Aug 2016 08:32
I'm garbage at LUA scripting but I managed to pull off a working XP gaining and leveling system. I don't think it needs to be on the voting board. If anything myself or someone more experienced could just make a quick tutorial or even just release a free script for this.
Twitter - Teabone3 | Youtube - Teabone3 | Twitch - Teabone3

i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce GT 740
MChapman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2016 08:53
They really should take weapon damage and accuracy out of the fpe and make it a global, if they did the ammo pool they should be able to do those to. That would make weapon damage, skills, and a few other scripts a little easier.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-28 23:11:51
Your offset time is: 2024-09-28 23:11:51