Work In Progress / Old West Ghost Town Mini-Game Revisited

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Last March I posted some screens from a western ghost town game I was working on but I started over.

Most of this is retexturing of stock models, Disturbing13's old west buildings and stuff from fpsc classic. I'm using a couple of Harry Wever's cool zombies and music from Eric Matyas. Just a simple shooter now but I may expand on it with cutscenes, puzzles, etc. as I figure out how to add those.

Title: (still thinking of a cool title)

Developer: Pixelpusher

Storyline:
In the mid 1800s, the desert town of Smith Junction boomed when gold was mined from the hills. When the mines were emptied, most left and those who remained were so crazed with gold lust they died trying to find more. The mountain town is left in ruins and the restless souls of the miners have kept watch over a cache of gold hidden in the town for over a hundred and thirty years. Recently, a group of men attempted to steal it, most didn't make it out, murdered by the vengeful ghosts of the miners, and the remaining gang are desperate.
Your mission is to retrieve the stolen gold now strewn around town, left where thieves' bodies fell. You have two enemies; the remaining outlaws and the undead residents to whom you're another unwelcome outsider.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
PM
Len the man
Years of Service
User Offline
I like your in depth story line... It immersed me in the story immediately... and the foggy mist in the pictures makes it seem eerie. Looks like great work so far.
PM
pixelpusher
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks, Len. What I lack in programming I try to make up for in other ways. ha! but yeah, the look I'm going for is late afternoon in an arid environment so fog and contrast.
Still adding decoration and soon will add in characters.
PM
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2016 18:04
Very mysterious atmosphere. I like it a lot.
Reminds me of good old "Pathologic" in terms of colour and ambience neat!

Storyline sounds like a nice framework for a "collect the coins" type of game

Its something I really like about GG, there is more diversity in games than there was back in the days of FPSC.

-Wolf
"When I contradict myself, I am telling the truth"
"absurdity has become necessity"
Bolt Action Gaming
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2016 20:59
I love the sepia tone to it. Very smart way to unify the textures, give it an old-tyme feel and really create an atmosphere.
pixelpusher
Years of Service
User Offline
thanks, wolf. it is a simple 'collect the coins' thing. ideally, the gold locations would be random each time it's played since its a small level. the music and sounds help set the mood too. if i dive into the scripts, i plan to customize a lot of things.
PM
pixelpusher
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks Bolt Action, just saw your comment.
The second level of the ghost town game, the turn-of-the-century ruins. Still trying different fog and ambience settings but as Bolt Action said, colour grading it with fog does give it a uniformity.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
PM
nuncio
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2016 18:31
very nice war torn atmosphere and beautiful fog!!
http://www.nuncio-rap.de
intel core i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz; 8GB RAM // NVIDIA GeForce GTX560Ti
pixelpusher
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks Nuncio, I'm a better filmmaker than gamemaker so I'm more about ambience (visual, aural) than clever scripting. I was going for an abandoned turn-of-the-century town but it could pass for wartorn too so I may convert my desert ghost town into a creepy WW2 zombie thing since it looks like we're getting nazi zombies in the new update and that's what I was hoping for from fpsc classic.
PM
Jerry Tremble
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2016 02:27
Looks great!
Desktop: i7 4770@3.4Ghz, 12GB RAM, Win 10/64, GeForce GTX 1080, 1TB SSD, 1TB HDD; Laptop: i7 4800MQ@2.7Ghz, 16GB RAM, Win 10/64, GeForce GTX870M , 1TB SSD.
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 21:07:13
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 21:07:13