Product Chat / Standalone bug?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2016 21:59 Edited at: 3rd Aug 2016 03:38
Hi all. Just tried saving my latest project as a standalone and have a weird error when running it. It seems to be looking for a G: drive. News to me, lol. Never had this issue before and not quite sure what has caused it. I'm currently verifying files to make sure all is well there. I'm using the latest version (not beta) so wondering if anyone else has had this issue at all? I've had no issues with standalone's in the past, or nothing quite so unusual as this.

Verifying files found some issues it seems, but most likely files I have edited for old projects at a guess. No difference to the error

Edit - I have tried a basic game with little to nothing in it and standalone seems fine. Run my game and I get the error. Most times it crashes out after hitting cancel, but I have got it to run once so far. The lighting is messed up though, so I am guessing it is possibly related in some way. Very weird. I have older versions of the level to try next, but I'll lose a lot of work if I have to go back All the media in this is off the store or my own (well one object so far lol, and that Rolfy helped get working). I'll hopefully get to the bottom of it, although I would prefer to actually work on the game rather than this sort of thing! I have a lift to finish and get working without the doors going crazy as well!

Edit - Okay. Rebooted my system. Made another standalone. Seems to work without the error. The lighting is still messed up though so not quite sure what that is about. In test game everything is fine, in standalone the lighting is much different and much worse At least the g drive error seems fixed now though. My only thought at the moment is that I turn off the terrain and water when at a certain point to keep it silky smooth (and avoid drowning as I am below the water level at this point). I really don't want to take that out. I know from prior experience that lighting and shadows can be affected when disabling the terrain, so it could be the culprit. All realtime, I may try baking, but I prefer to leave that till last (if there is enough memory to do it).

It seems not to be a bug as such, but I haven't discounted anything yet! Perhaps it was a weird glitch caused by trying the new beta and then reverting back to the current version for my game. I didn't want to break it in untested waters!

Edit - Tried disabling the terrain switch off, but lighting is still the same. So not caused by that. I also have a feeling that baking will not help matters, due to the nature of the scripting elements in the game. I have a feeling it will look even worse in the particular section that is most affected. It may well help in the other areas, but I'm doing some scripting magic to get part of it working and I imagine the bake will fare much worse in the end here.

I'm going to call this lighting issue a bug for lack of more info. I need Lee to check it out I think and typically, he is probably winging his way to wherever he is on hols
Test Game lighting

Standalone lighting

You can see the difference fairly easily and this is the least of the issues! It gets worse later on. I could probably reduce the lighting values to fix it here, but in test game it would be a little dark for comfort!

SPECS: Q6600 CPU. Nvidia 660GTX. 8 Gig Memory. Win 7.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Well, fresh day and all. Fixed it. Not that it was actually broken, lol. Just medium settings on the standalone by default :/ One weird bug and I end up chasing non issues for hours. Not done any serious work on a game for ages and I forgot the standalone defaults to medium! The g drive issue completely threw me here and cost me some time chasing nothing, ah well. I must say, medium graphics do not work well here by the looks, so it's a good job it runs fine on highest!

At least if anyone else sees the g drive error and find this post, they will know it's a simple fix! Reboot.

SPECS: Q6600 CPU. Nvidia 660GTX. 8 Gig Memory. Win 7.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-06-29 03:14:34
Your offset time is: 2024-06-29 03:14:34