Product Chat / PBR Textures

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Will game guru support the use of PBR Textures soon? It was on the voting board but it's gone. Just wanted to know.. I'm dying to have some ally characters for my game just have to wait it out.
PM
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2016 15:32
Not soon, no. Updates on the graphics engine are not due until around winter.
There is nothing to wait for, really. PBRtextures are just simple images you can add later in development.
You can use the conventional shading until then. Delivered amazing results for the last couple years.
BTW:
Remember me and Ryse are the only games I know off that currently have PBR rendering. Are their more? I'd like to take a look at 'em.

-Wolf
"When I contradict myself, I am telling the truth"
"absurdity has become necessity"
devlin
Years of Service
User Offline
@ Wolf

(Remember me and Ryse are the only games I know off that currently have PBR rendering)

do you have screen shots and how are you implementing the textures into gg.
PM
wizard of id
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: CSGO
Posted: 31st Jul 2016 09:02
Quote: "Will game guru support the use of PBR Textures soon? It was on the voting board but it's gone. Just wanted to know.. I'm dying to have some ally characters for my game just have to wait it out."

I think it got added to the overall graphics upgrade. That said not sure why you want it, it pretty pointless having it, you will be far better off with a graphics and updated dx11bump, deferred shading, and opening up the standard shader to additional maps like depth shading and AO, there is no need for it.

A quick example of how irrelevant PBR really is, Opening the shader to additional slots especially to some thing like parallax Displacement and Occlusion, the engine doesn't even have or support refraction or proper reflection yet.While displacement mapping is iffy requires a fair amount of tweaking combing every thing it looks very nice other wise.While you don't need additional slots, when you use layer masks, I think you can add up to 10 layer masks to a diffuse so there would really be no issue with adding displacement and occlusion because honestly the full screen shader doing AO is not particular good or particularly bad it doesn't effectively work on a per model bases, which I much rather prefer is the per model AO which will allow far better end result then a global setting.

Win7 pro, Intel 2500K @3.7ghz 660GTX 8gig ram 16tb HDD
xenoblackinc
Years of Service
User Offline
I see what your saying direct X11 haven't been implemented into the engine yet. I was thinking more on shader side. I would love to have some displacement maps. How can that be done in gg as of now?if you have any examples please post if love to see them. I'm getting my inspiration back.
PM
wizard of id
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2016 21:02
Well DX11 isn't going to magically give you better graphics, if you were to take DX11 and covert this shader we have now it will very likely still look exactly the same the problem lies in the shader it self, it's not a particular complex or good shader.

The biggest issue is the light mapping, it's really bad, if you were to update that to a reasonable standard coupled with different light source types especially point and spot lights, and Volumetric lighting or any type of light scattering, you will be amazed at how much better the end results will be.

That said DX11 while it won't improve graphics on it's own, I am more interested in the performance enhancements that comes with it with regards to rendering.

You would need a new shader in order to make use of displacement and AO, but you still need a better lightmapping system to make use of it effectively which when don't have.
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 1st Aug 2016 08:09
Quote: "Well DX11 isn't going to magically give you better graphics, if you were to take DX11 and covert this shader we have now it will very likely still look exactly the same the problem lies in the shader it self, it's not a particular complex or good shader."

This is why a face palm every time someone mentions how much better it would be with DX11, as you say, with DX11 it won't actually look any different. The way it looks now is because of the shaders we have. Before even looking at updating to DX11 we need an overhaul of the shaders. We'd also need a lot of new ones to take advantage of some of the extras in DX11, so it's only logical to do an overhaul of the shaders before starting on DX changes.

i5, NV960 2GB, 16GB memory, 2x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.
i3 , Intel integrated graphics, 6GB memory, 512GB Generic SATAIII Win8.1.
Intel Celeron (duel Core), Radeon integrated graphics, 4GB memory, 180gB Generic SATAII, WinVista.
Q6600, Intel integrated graphics, 8GB memory, 512GB Generic SATAII, Win7.
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2016 10:38 Edited at: 1st Aug 2016 10:47
@Devlin: Oh no You misunderstood, those games are not game guru games but AAA releases. Ryse is a cry engine game and Remember Me (I believe) an unreal engine title.

@Y'all: Since this is coming up again... I have already had several rants on the topic of DX and I think Wizard of Id has said everything that needs to be said (again.) DX11 would be a great addition and open up plenty o' doors but it won't make anything look better by itself.

Further reading:

Thread1

Thread2

Thread3

Newer shading and material will only bring you benefits if you know how to design with these functions. Otherwise nothing really happens.

As I have demonstrably shown a dozen times, what hinders GG visually is its current lighting engine.

The following screenshots should show that simply upgrading your DX version won't have all too many effects and that the look of your game is 80% based on your artwork and lighting:

-Wolf
wizard of id
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2016 10:46
Lol wolf more then happy to say it again This time I added a graphical addition, next time I will do a video after which I pretty limited on what I can do next.....
wizard of id
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2016 10:52
Quote: " so it's only logical to do an overhaul of the shaders before starting on DX changes."
No you would have to redo the shader or change them significantly as you will be using a different Pixel and vertex shader, pipeline is different, shader code isn't universally compatible with DX version, often subtle differences and improvements to the rendering pipeline, which means when you get DX 11 you will be getting new shaders as well, they are pretty much mutually exclusive....
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2016 11:03
Cool idea, pass me a link on that once its done.

I have added some material to my previous post. I believe that people react like this to new tech advances in engines if because the engines advertise them as magical solutions.
The gaming press does so themselves. "Look at what this new technology does." No! Its "Look at what these skilled artists can do with this new technology."

It plays in my own vanity to be honest. If I manage to make something cool in GG, people give me the credit for my own work. If I do so in UE4 people generally think: Oh yeah, this engine is amazing!

But ah well!! These threads will surface again, no matter what we write.

Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 1st Aug 2016 15:16
Quote: "No you would have to redo the shader or change them significantly as you will be using a different Pixel and vertex shader, pipeline is different, shader code isn't universally compatible with DX version, often subtle differences and improvements to the rendering pipeline, which means when you get DX 11 you will be getting new shaders as well, they are pretty much mutually exclusive...."

Oops, I actually meant light mapping, not shaders, just had shaders stuck in my head for some reason lol

i5, NV960 2GB, 16GB memory, 2x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.
i3 , Intel integrated graphics, 6GB memory, 512GB Generic SATAIII Win8.1.
Intel Celeron (duel Core), Radeon integrated graphics, 4GB memory, 180gB Generic SATAII, WinVista.
Q6600, Intel integrated graphics, 8GB memory, 512GB Generic SATAII, Win7.
devlin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2016 15:23 Edited at: 1st Aug 2016 15:49
but dx11 would have to be implemented before the shaders surely.
so we we need 64 bit and dx11. and yes it is down to the artist that makes the difference.
thanks for the screen shots. but dx 9 is becoming out dated and limited thinking or should i say wishing
the engine will move forward, some people are still running dinosaur pc specs,
this will be the downfall of gg if tgc dont move forward, you cant just keep selling an engine on the, oh
by the way you can develop games on you dinosaur pc . but we may make the engine more advanced one day,
to enable developers with modern tech, dx11 does not mean you have to use. pbr software is the main reason for
using pbr ,

PM
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2016 16:33
Nobody says that we don't want GG to have DX11 or to go 64 bit. This was more in response to "xenoblackinc" who claimed that he wants to wait with his character design for PBR which is wholly unnecessary. What followed was general discurs.

-Wolf

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-28 23:12:10
Your offset time is: 2024-09-28 23:12:10