Product Chat / Validating steam files.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 28th Jul 2016 02:52
Hello all. I do not know if this has anything to do with fps drop but here goes. I am use to almost 600 fps on a blank map. But now it is always around 230-250 on a blank map. Thats more then half fps gone. I learned about the game guru properties and validating the steam files. So I did that and there was 6 files it needed to re download. so then i did a test and loaded a blank map and had 240ish again. so then i did the validation and again, was missing 6 files. It got the new files and then i opened my game map and had around 90ish fps. validated again and again, 6 files. How do i fix this because it seems like its stuck in a loop? Sorry and thank you for any help in this matter
Wishing you all the best.
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Its normal to have some files changed when you open GG as this will be things like parental control and the checks for first run and tutorial window etc.

Can't help you much with the fps drop but I would open your performance manager and see what's causing the bottleneck.
lua guide for GG
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=398177770
windows 10
i5 @4ghz, 8gb ram, AMD R9 200 series , directx 11
bossisly
Years of Service
User Offline
I have the same issue too. I initially posted it in bug reports several months ago and was given the advice to validate the files from Steam. 11 files had to be reinstalled and the reinstallation was successful. However, the issue with the editing window still being black persist.

To the best of my knowledge, the only information that I am aware of to resolve this issue is to validate the files, which does not resolve the issue. In your situation if you are running Windows 10 I am confident that it is not one of the numerous conflicts that users of Windows 10 are complaining about that Windows 10 has with Steam. I am using Windows 7. Everything was working flawlessly and then one day the issue occurred.

Please forgive me for not being able to provide you with a remedy for the issue. I do not think that anyone knows why this issue is occurring. To the best of my knowledge, you and I seem to be the only ones that have reported this issue. I believe there are many that have had this issue and rather than reporting the issue they may have uninstalled Steam and GG and moved onto something else.

I am hoping that in the next update for GG that the update may resolve the issue. Should the next update for GG does not resolve the issue I may have to abandon GG and free up disk space.

My best regards to you.
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "However, the issue with the editing window still being black persist."

Can you post a screenshot of what your seeing
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
wermer
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Its normal to have some files changed when you open GG"

^What he said.

Quote: "I am use to almost 600 fps "

It's fun to see big numbers, but I don't know anyone with a 600Hz monitor. If your game gets 90FPS, is there really a problem?
I can understand your concern if you are seeing a performance drop, but what really matters is "game" performance not blank map. IMHO if you're getting 90 FPS in your game, then there is no problem.

Quote: " numerous conflicts that users of Windows 10 are complaining about that Windows 10 has with Steam"

Huh? According to Steam's hardware survey Windows 10 is by far the most popular OS and the only Windows OS gaining popularity. I haven't had or heard of any problems with 10 and Steam.
http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey
Windows 10 Home 64-bit / Intel i5 2500k @ 4.4Ghz + Asetek 510LC / Intel DP67DE / Intel 530 Series 240GB SSD / 16GB Kingston KVR 1333 / XFX Radeon R9 380X / Corsair TX 650 / Antec 300
PM
cryptweaver
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 28th Jul 2016 21:55
Hello and thank you all for your feedback . I run windows 7 right now. I did have windows 10 and I did have alot of issues with it and once windows 7 was reinstalled the issues went away. This is comon with windows 10 according to a number of people I know. The problem is this fps drop is just with one city with no trees, flowes or plants or ai or furniture and such for buildings. Once I add all that im sure I wont have any fps after that. Idk, seems crazy to me. Lol just thought others would have had this issue and a way to fix. Thanx all
Wishing you all the best.
bossisly
Years of Service
User Offline
Thank you for asking for a screenshot of the issue. I currently am not using a photo sharing service so the snapshot has been uploaded as a downloadable file in the jpg format.

As for your comments about Windows 10 I advise you to go to YouTube and type in the search field any of the following;

“Microsoft installed Windows 10 on my computer without my permission”

“Windows 10 forced updates”

“Windows 10 to become a walled box garden”

“Never Windows 10”

If you’re using Windows 10 with the edge browser to view the videos on YouTube it has been reported by many users that only the audio is present. And if they try using the Firefox browser on Windows 10 they are able to get the audio and the video with less than desirable quality.

Nobody really knows what the popularity of Windows 10 is, especially when it is forced on a system without the user’s permission.

Personally I do not care which operating system you use. The only thing that is of interest to me is resolving the issue that is preventing me from using GG. If you can suggest a tangible solution to the issue I would be grateful.

My best regards to you.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
PM
Jerry Tremble
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2016 03:27
Check Win updates and see when the last update took place. If it happened around the time your issue started, uninstall it and see what happens. (Always reboot, of course). Check your video drivers for the same as well. It is not GG, of that I am sure. I'm sure most folks around here have had issues from time to time (On a major side note: I had an issue yesterday with a different program due to a Win 10 update, but discovered it too late and had to wipe my SSD and start all over again. (Couldn't even access the BIOS.) This, for the most part, was my own doing. Not Win10's fault. Have had no problems with 10 on 3 machines, so far. That's another issue for another thread somewhere else! On the plus side, in fear of not being able to use the SSD again, I ordered another and now I have an extra to put in my desktop. Gonna play a little musical SSD's this weekend!
MAME Cab PC: i7 4770@3.4Ghz (passmark 9945), 12GB RAM, Win 10/64, GeForce GTX 1080 (Passmark 12735); Shiny new laptop: i7 4800MQ@2.7Ghz (passmark 8586), 16GB RAM, Win 10/64, GeForce GTX870M (passmark 3598); Old laptop: i5@2.3Ghz, 8GB RAM, Win 7/64, Intel 3000 graphics
PM
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 29th Jul 2016 07:37
Quote: "I run windows 7 right now. I did have windows 10 and I did have alot of issues with it and once windows 7 was reinstalled the issues went away."

There are known issues with upgrading from windows 7 to windows 10, they're not actually windows 10 issues, but issues to do with the upgrade system. Windows 10 is far superior to windows 7 in almost every way, however when you upgrade from windows 7 there are tons of legacy issues with drivers and components that are left behind during the upgrade.

The best way to successfully go from windows 7 to windows 10 is to:

1: Download a copy of the windows 10 USB installation to a USB stick.
2: Backup any data you wish to keep, on a separate USB stick or external harddrive.
3: Carry out the Windows 7 to Windows 10 upgrade via the update centre.
4: Once the upgrade has been completed it will register your motherboard as having a license for Windows 10
5. Turn off your PC, insert the USB stick and turn the PC on (you may need to alter your boot sequence in the EUFIE/BIOS to boot from USB)
6. Go through a complete full installation of Windows 10 including format options etc.

You will now have a full working copy of Windows 10 with none f the upgrade bugs.

As I said before there is actually almost nothing wrong (there are some small niggly bugs but no more than windows 7 has already) with none of the upgrade issues. Unfortunately this takes twice as long as just upgrading and you can't keep your settings and installed software (unless you back it up etc), but it's very much worth it.

i5, NV960 2GB, 16GB memory, 2x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.
i3 , Intel integrated graphics, 6GB memory, 512GB Generic SATAIII Win8.1.
Intel Celeron (duel Core), Radeon integrated graphics, 4GB memory, 180gB Generic SATAII, WinVista.
Q6600, Intel integrated graphics, 8GB memory, 512GB Generic SATAII, Win7.
bossisly
Years of Service
User Offline
Thank you for your suggestion about the Windows updates. I had already removed the updates last month before Microsoft began using the update process to install Windows 10 on systems without the user’s permission.

My video driver is fully functional. FPS Creator classic and 3D game creator is working flawlessly. GG launches as it should. However, the editing screen is black and only showing the resource indication bar at the top left of the editing window. I can place entities in the editing window and they are visible in the editing window. This is a rather perplexing issue. In my earlier reply, I had uploaded a screen capture. If you would like I can make a new screen capture showing only the entities in the editing window.

To the other reply to my reply thank you for your helpful advice on obtaining Windows 10 for my system. However, I do not want Windows 10. My decision is not on the privacy issues, which are numerous. My decision is based on three conditions in the 45-page end-user licensing agreement. The first condition I object to in the end user licensing agreement grants Microsoft the right to take my intellectual property and redistribute it anywhere in the world without having to pay any royalties. My second objection to the license agreement is it grants Microsoft the right to store updates on my system and use my system and bandwidth to update other users of Windows 10. My third objection to the end user license agreement is it grants Microsoft the right to remove any second party software to my system they deem unacceptable (software they do not like that was developed by a competitor). If you have any doubts have your lawyer read the 45 page licensing agreement for Windows 10.

All I am looking for is a solution for the issue I am currently having with the editing screen for GG. I would be grateful and I am sure the person who started this thread would be grateful if anyone can come up with a tangible solution to the issue at hand.

My best regards to everyone.
PM
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2016 11:13 Edited at: 29th Jul 2016 11:21
Quote: "However, the editing screen is black and only showing the resource indication bar at the top left of the editing window. I can place entities in the editing window and they are visible in the editing window."

Hmn, sounds like a terrain issue, if you go into test mode, change the terrain, then come out again, does the terrain show up then?

Try moving your terrainbank folder elsewhere (to keep as backup), and then checking your files via steam to redownload the now missing files, and see if that makes a difference.

I know you have checked your files etc via steam already, but sometimes if you have a corrupted file steam will not realise and think you have the file and not redownload it, but if you delete or move it then steam will detect it and redownload it.

Also, just to clarify. You say in your earlier post you have the same issue, but ..

OP: His frame rate is less than it was before validating his files, and after multiple validations it is getting lower each time.
You: You validated some time ago and now your editor is corrupt and showing a black screen instead of the terrain, and validating doesn't fix it.

How are these two issues the same? Or do you mean that you are experiencing the same FPS drop after each validation on top of having a black editor?

Just wanted to clarify so that if they are separate issues they wouldn't get confused while troubleshooting.

Intel Celeron (duel Core), Radeon integrated graphics, 4GB memory, 180gB Generic SATAII, WinVista.
3com
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2016 19:04
I think GG is failing when painting terrain process starting.
AFAIK GG use lush as default terrain when starting.
Well, that terrain firts load default_D file (black color), so after paint the rest (mossy, paths, rocky, sedimentary), because GG is failing with default_D texture, so the screen is black colored.

I think perhaps deleting lush terrain "superpalette.ter" file, migh help, (of couse with GG closed).

3com
Laptop: Lenovo - Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 1005M @ 1.90GHz

OS: Windows 10 (64) - Ram: 4 gb - Hd: 283 gb - Video card: Intel(R) HD Graphics

PM
bossisly
Years of Service
User Offline
Belidos and 3com thank you for your thoughtful suggestions. I first tried going into test mode to change the terrain. Unfortunately, this failed. I then removed the terrain bank and as well as the map editor and the map editor configuration file and placed them in a separate folder. I went through the validation process through Steam. 140 files were downloaded successfully. When I relaunched GG the issue persists.

I have uploaded five screen captures to give more clarity to the issue at hand. I greatly thank you and everyone else for assistance.

My best regards to all

Attachments

PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
That looks like a Gfx driver issue ?
What card do you have and are your drivers up to date ?
PM
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2016 12:59
That is almost 100% EXACTLY the same symptoms as the issue that people were having with a previous NVidia driver when Nvidia changed something in the driver and we had to wait for them to provide a new version.

Hmn maybe there's a similar issue with Intel drivers now.

Jerry Tremble
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2016 13:45
Quote: "That is almost 100% EXACTLY the same symptoms as the issue that people were having with a previous NVidia driver when Nvidia changed something in the driver and we had to wait for them to provide a new version.
"

That's what it looked like to me, I remember that update, it was last fall I think.
Desktop: i7 4770@3.4Ghz, 12GB RAM, Win 10/64, GeForce GTX 1080, 1TB SSD, 1TB HDD; Laptop: i7 4800MQ@2.7Ghz, 16GB RAM, Win 10/64, GeForce GTX870M , 1TB SSD.
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
The main difference here is the editor screen is black .... The Nvidia issue was only when you went into test mode ..
Hence adding 2 lights was a temporary fix .... But even so ... it still looks like driver to me.
PM
Jerry Tremble
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2016 14:27 Edited at: 31st Jul 2016 14:40
Here is another reason I suspect the video driver. I just had to do a fresh install of everything the other day on my laptop, so my NVidia driver has nothing to roll back to and I am stuck with the latest. However, it also has Intel graphics available. With Rafhalzer's FBX2GG, I experience a similar issue.

Using integrated Intel card (Black background in this case is good!):

Using NVidia card with latest driver:

FBX2GG works fine on my desktop using NVidia, athough I kept the older driver when I upgraded the video card a couple weeks back. I had this issue on the laptop before hard drive crash, but had latest driver installed. Why I don't also experience this issue with GG is beyond me.
Desktop: i7 4770@3.4Ghz, 12GB RAM, Win 10/64, GeForce GTX 1080, 1TB SSD, 1TB HDD; Laptop: i7 4800MQ@2.7Ghz, 16GB RAM, Win 10/64, GeForce GTX870M , 1TB SSD.
PM
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2016 18:47 Edited at: 31st Jul 2016 18:49
Quote: "The main difference here is the editor screen is black .... The Nvidia issue was only when you went into test mode ..
Hence adding 2 lights was a temporary fix .... But even so ... it still looks like driver to me."

When I had the NVidia issue the editor was black too.

@Jerry ... hmn, maybe a graphics driver issue with a DX9 component you think?

Maybe try downloading and running the directX 9 runtime?

Jerry Tremble
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2016 19:44
I'm not even gonna bother with it. FBX2GG runs fine with the integrated graphics card, and everything else runs fine with the NVidia card. Bothering with things is what made me have to do a complete re install on everything in the first place, lol, which is like a 3 day ordeal with all the programs and assets, etc to install! I've kinda been doing most things on my desktop anyway as of late.
PM
bossisly
Years of Service
User Offline
Thank you for your reply. I used the Intel driver updater and that updater stated that my video driver was customized by the manufacturer of my system. I went to the Acer website and checked for updates for my video driver. There have been no updates for my video driver since 2011-05-10.

As you have noticed, in the test mode of one of the screenshots of GG it shows that the video driver has direct X 10. This has always shown in the test mode since the first day I launched GG. I did install direct X 9 from the installation disk at the time I installed FPS Creator classic. I do not know if the video driver came with direct X 10 when I purchased my system. The first week I had with GG the only difficulties I had was a complete lack of familiarity with GG other than that GG functioned flawlessly.

All I can say is during the first months of GG on my system GG function flawlessly then one morning when I booted my system GG had the issue with the editing window. During that time there were no updates coming from Microsoft. The only updates I was receiving at that time was from Steam, which is normal when I boot my system. Each time I boot my system Steam validates and updates. I do not think that the Steam updates have anything to do with the issue at hand.

Today I ran all my creation applications and art and photo editing applications that have their own editing windows. All of them are operating flawlessly. Those applications are; 3D Game Creator, Alfresco, Artweaver, Blender, Entity Workshop, Firma, Forester, FPS Creator classic, Font Maker, GIMP, Magic FPS, Milk Shape, MWSnap, Sky box, Terrain Generator, Visual Basic, Webex.

With the exception of the issue of the editing window in GG everything is working flawlessly on my system. You indicated that you believe there might be an issue with GG and my video driver and/or video card could you elaborate more on this? Once again, I thank you for your assistance.

My best regards to all.
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Have you tried re installing totally ?
Back up your files folder and uninstall GameGuru .... Manually delete the old files folder so its absolutely clean then reinstall ...
If all works well copy your files folder back ..... Worth a try ?
PM
Jerry Tremble
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2016 15:02
Quote: "You indicated that you believe there might be an issue with GG and my video driver and/or video card could you elaborate more on this?"

I assumed you were using NVidia or something other than Intel integrated graphics. NVidia seems to update every other week. They do it to make gameplay better on specific games and of course to fix bugs. This is more likely to break other functionality than updates that happen infrequently. At this point, I would try a complete reinstall of GG like syncromesh said. Good luck!
PM
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2016 15:11
Quote: "I went to the Acer website and checked for updates for my video driver. There have been no updates for my video driver since 2011-05-10."

This is something I really hate about on board graphics cards, primarily on laptops. A lot of branded laptops have their own versions of on board graphics drivers, and they very rarely update them unless they really have to, which means the hardware might be fine, but the driver running them is generations behind and can run into all sorts of issues. It's more prevalent with Intel on board graphics though, NVidia and AMD are usually fairly up to date.

Jerry Tremble
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2016 15:15
LOL, I had pretty much the opposite take on drivers, but the end result is still the same!
PM
bossisly
Years of Service
User Offline
Thank you for your suggestions.

I downloaded a set up application to reinstall the video driver and ran the reinstallation process. The reinstallation of the video driver successfully installed. However, the issue with the editing window in GG still persisted.

I then reinstalled GG as suggested. However, the issue is still present.

I thank both of you for your suggestions. I hope that when the next GG update is ready and installed that may rectify the issue. If you or anyone has any suggestions in the meantime to remedy the issue I would be grateful.

PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Really strange ....

Just out of interest ( if you can )
Load up GG ... place 2 light entities on the map ... then run a test game ....
Just want to see what happens ?
PM
3com
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2016 12:15

Does you've " DirectX 9.0c End-User Runtime " installed?

https://www.microsoft.com/es-es/download/details.aspx?id=34429

3com
Laptop: Lenovo - Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 1005M @ 1.90GHz

OS: Windows 10 (64) - Ram: 4 gb - Hd: 283 gb - Video card: Intel(R) HD Graphics

PM
bossisly
Years of Service
User Offline
Thank you for replying.

I was unable to do the test for DirectX 9 C. I downloaded the setup exe for DirectX 9 C and installed it. The issue with the editing window still persists.

I did the test using two white light markers as requested. I have uploaded two screenshots from the test game mode. The first screenshot is without an entity. The second screenshot has one entity of an industrial structure. I hope that you may be able to make sense of it. Note the two light markers were set in arrange to illuminate the player marker and the entity.

If anyone has any ideas or suggestions about the issue at hand please reply. I would be grateful.

Attachments

PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Direct x 9c is actually supplied in the root folder of GameGuru in the _CommonRedist directory if you ever need to install it again.

Do you know the exact type of Intel HD GFX your system has ?
Whats the make and model of your machine ?

PM
cybernescence
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Cogwheel Chronicles
Posted: 3rd Aug 2016 15:08
Just reaching, but might be a depth buffer issue. If you attach a weapon via properties of the player start marker and run a game can you see it or is the gun black too?

If you move the bloom slider to zero, is the scene still black?

Cheers.
bossisly
Years of Service
User Offline
Thank you for replying.

It has been discovered that the issue in GG has nothing to do with the video driver or GG.

A neighbor of mine who lives down the street from me works as a technician for a PC repair shop examined my system. He recognized it as a common problem with older systems that had surreptitious updates that are meant to prepare a system to have Windows 10 installed on them. Evidently, the update was installed on my system at the time the issue occurred with GG without my noticing it. Several systems files were damaged because of the Microsoft update. Nearly all of the backup files in the E drive were destroyed. Using the repair option from the DVD restoration disk failed. The only option left is to do a clean reinstall.

A couple of days ago when I tested my other applications the testing I did was only a cursory test. My neighbor tested my other applications with more than cursory testing. It was discovered that Blender was also affected. Blender no longer recognizes my keyboard. All other applications are working flawlessly.

Doing a clean reinstall of my system at this time is out of the question. Repurchasing all the applications that I have installed on my system is cost prohibitive to do at one time. I have opted for an option that would be far less costly. I have just ordered a new refurbished desktop from Walmart with Windows 7 on it. When I saw the desktop system was selling for only $84 with a two-year warranty, I ordered it. I will be picking it up from the Walmart store on the mainland next week. I will be keeping my laptop as is, for model making with Milkshape and Gimp. The laptop will also serve as a reminder never to trust Microsoft auto updates ever again.

The new system looks like it has all the requirements for compatibility with GG. The only uncertainty is the video card. However, with the new system being a desktop the video card can easily be replaced. Once I have the new system up and running, I will be contacting Steam for assistance in transferring my Steam account and GG from the laptop to the desktop. Should the process be arduous I will just purchase another copy of GG and obtain a new Steam account.

Some might think I am investing too much time and resources for one application. For me it is worth it. It is my opinion that GG has far greater potential in the future. It is my assumption that it is a possibility in five years GG will have features that have not been thought of yet.

My appreciation and best regards to everyone.
PM
Jerry Tremble
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2016 13:52
Quote: "Once I have the new system up and running, I will be contacting Steam for assistance in transferring my Steam account and GG from the laptop to the desktop. "

You don't need to contact Steam to assist you, you just need to open a browser, got to Steam, download Steam, log in, and download your programs. You can keep Steam on your laptop as well. In fact, you can have Steam and all you Steam apps on as many machines as you want! You just can't use them (the apps) at the same time while online.
PM
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2016 13:53 Edited at: 4th Aug 2016 13:55
Quote: "Once I have the new system up and running, I will be contacting Steam for assistance in transferring my Steam account and GG from the laptop to the desktop"

That shouldn't be necessary, all you need to do is download steam from steampowered.com and install it on the new machine, and then run it and enter your steam user name and password, then you will have all your steam purchases available to download and install. You may need to enter a verification code which gets emailed to the email you have registered in steam, but that's all you should need to do.

The windows 10 thing, although I have never once heard of this happening (the download of Windows 10 is only a download and doesn't install until you let it update to windows 10, so that sounds a little odd that it can effect your pc), kind of makes sense if it has done what your friend has said it has done. It will be a DirectX issue, probably where the windows 10 update has installed components of DX11 and 12 in preparation for the installation of Windows 10 and because it's "supposed" to be backwards compatible has overwritten some DirectX 9 files which has caused this issue.

I hope it all goes well for you and you can get it up and running again asap.

Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2016 13:56
Lol, we posted a minute apart Jerry

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-06-29 03:19:29
Your offset time is: 2024-06-29 03:19:29