Product Chat / what will this mean for Game Guru

Author
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2016 17:42
Got this off of PC World today, have a look. If Lee could give some input, that would be great.
Link: http://www.pcworld.com/article/3099954/windows/epic-ceo-how-microsoft-is-plotting-to-cripple-steam-and-seize-control-of-pc-gaming.html
AMD Phenom x4 9850 2.58 Ghz , 6 gb ram, 2GB EVGA Geforce GTX 750, Win 10 x64

PM
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
even if it was true i'm sure microsoft would have so many bugs in their own software it wouldn't really be any better... just look at how long they've been doing operating systems and how many times they have got that "right"
this "news" is also more likely to damage microsoft and help companies such as steam, as it's already been shown many times that the general internet population doesn't like greed.
lua guide for GG
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=398177770
windows 10
i5 @4ghz, 8gb ram, AMD R9 200 series , directx 11
devlin
Years of Service
User Offline
no steam will just push there own OS.
PM
3com
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2016 19:42
I've not found any steam news talking about, so...

I can not imagine microsoft carrying out such a tough/ilegal business strategy.

3com
Laptop: Lenovo - Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 1005M @ 1.90GHz

OS: Windows 10 (64) - Ram: 4 gb - Hd: 283 gb - Video card: Intel(R) HD Graphics

PM
wermer
Years of Service
User Offline
Great headline! If you actually read the article, the author pretty well dismisses the idea. It's just sensational sounding garbage to get clicks for PC World, not real journalism. I enjoy a good conspiracy theory, but this guy from Epic is too much.

Quote: "just look at how long they've been doing operating systems and how many times they have got that "right" "

I know you put a smiley on that comment, but I hate to see people jump on the hate train. Microsoft makes the most successful OS's in the world. When did they get it wrong is the real question. Don't try to say Vista either. The only problem with Vista was that the minimum specs were so low(P3 800Mhz + 512MB RAM). With those specs XP was a dog by then also. The media did a good job of painting Vista in a bad light, but the reality is that with proper hardware Vista performed well and was far more stable and secure than XP. The fact is that they have got it "more right" than anyone else, and the usage stats back that up.

Quote: "no steam will just push there own OS."

They've been trying. SteamOS can't match Windows' performance yet. SteamOS hasn't delivered on any of its promises. They said it would be optimized for gaming. In reality it's just a stripped down Debian, with no benefit over running Steam on Ubuntu. Zero performance benefit! Check phoronix.com and you will see that it is no faster than Ubuntu, and it's consistently slower than Windows. Add in the lack of hardware support, and you have a pretty useless OS. Until Nvidia and AMD step up their Linux game(drivers) Windows will continue to have the advantage. The good news is that more games are being developed for Linux, but still it's a relatively small percentage.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit / Intel i5 2500k @ 4.4Ghz + Asetek 510LC / Intel DP67DE / Intel 530 Series 240GB SSD / 16GB Kingston KVR 1333 / XFX Radeon R9 380X / Corsair TX 650 / Antec 300
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2016 20:40 Edited at: 26th Jul 2016 21:09
Never believe everything you read on the net ... Don't forget Xbox ..
Heres another opposite version .. This seems more realistic

Quote: "Microsoft is opening up Xbox Live to work with competing multiplayer networks. During the Game Developers Conference in San Francisco Monday, the company revealed that developers would be able to build support into their games for services on other platforms. This could mean players from Steam and the PlayStation Network joining Xbox Live players in the same game."

This to me would think Microsoft would benefit from games bought on steam whether is PC or not if you could use them on Xbox as well
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
devlin
Years of Service
User Offline
@ wermer
yes i know tried it myself a few times with Debian.
and yes lack of hardware support is disappointing
but i did like the os, shame they dont put more effort
into development after all the hype.
PM
MK83
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2016 21:27 Edited at: 27th Jul 2016 04:30
thanks for all the input. I was just afraid something would break GG. Microsoft is terrible in my opinion.

Mod Edit: Friendly reminder: NO swearing on the forums please. We try to make it a family friendly place.
AMD Phenom x4 9850 2.58 Ghz , 6 gb ram, 2GB EVGA Geforce GTX 750, Win 10 x64

PM
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2016 06:28
I remember having a back and forth email with Tim Sweeney back in 1997. Little did he know how young I was. We were talking about a game creation system he made for DOS called ZZT. Of which I was addicted to. The guy was really down to Earth and seemed to care quite a lot about his customers and fan-base and game making in general.
Twitter - Teabone3 | Youtube - Teabone3 | Twitch - Teabone3

i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce GT 740

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-28 23:12:36
Your offset time is: 2024-09-28 23:12:36