Product Chat / Very low fps

Author
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2016 21:45

I am creating the first level of my game . The level is set in a basement , so it's just inside. Unfortunately when I get close to the walls of the corridors fps drop drastically . Textures are 4096x4096 ( are perhaps too large ? )
To decrease the number of polygons in the scene is possible to exclude the terrain via a script ? My video card is a NVIDA GT730 2GB

Forgive my english
The software I use? ... Autocad, sketchup, Spazio3D, pconplanner, Kerkythea, wings3d, paint.net, torque3d, AxixGameFactory, PD particles.......maybe blender

Attachments

Login to view attachments
PM
Bisella
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2016 22:15

I found the goindoor.lua script .
The fps increased from 18 to 28 ( still too low ) The hidden terrain unfortunately creates a strange effect , as fogged glasses (
or drunk character)

The software I use? ... Autocad, sketchup, Spazio3D, pconplanner, Kerkythea, wings3d, paint.net, torque3d, AxixGameFactory, PD particles.......maybe blender
PM
3com
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2016 22:18
Quote: "To decrease the number of polygons in the scene is possible to exclude the terrain via a script ?"

Take a look to those 2 files, "goindoors.lua" and "gooutdoors.lua", in your scriptbank folder.
I think about fps dropping drastically has to do with the collision calculation.
And yes, a 4096x4096 texture is too largue, try to resize it, if possible.

hth

3com
Laptop: Lenovo - Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 1005M @ 1.90GHz

OS: Windows 10 (64) - Ram: 4 gb - Hd: 283 gb - Video card: Intel(R) HD Graphics

PM
3com
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2016 22:21
Soory, posting while you doing the same.
Try disabling terrain/water via F11, in test mode.

3com
Laptop: Lenovo - Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 1005M @ 1.90GHz

OS: Windows 10 (64) - Ram: 4 gb - Hd: 283 gb - Video card: Intel(R) HD Graphics

PM
Bisella
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2016 22:42
Hi 3com

I tried to follow your advice . The fps increased from 28 to 34. Maybe if I reduce the texture to 512x512 (or 128x128 ) can reach 40 fps

I have a doubt....The terrain disabled with F11 in test mode, remains off in standalone ?

still I do not know why , even if the sky and the terrain are off , the polygon count indicates 50000
PM
lordjulian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2016 23:05 Edited at: 22nd Jul 2016 23:33
I've been experiencing low fps also. I'm told by another user we are all in the "same low fps boat" until GG makes a couple more passes through performance overhaul. I decided to scrap my level and start over but luckily I still have a backup of the offending level so, if GG does dramatically speed up in the future, I can reinstate my previous version.

My humble advice would be: Take a backup of your level as it is right now, then; try all the techniques suggested above (and also play with all the sliders); take a backup of this new version (remembering to use a new filename); then wait for and watch next week's Twitch broadcast in which Lee Bamber will probably be focusing on ways to improve performance, then; change your level according to Lee's advice (as always, saving and backing up using a new filename).

Then you need to put on your Sherlock Holmes hat. Analyse each version, play around with it (keeping pre-analysis backups first). By the Holmesian process of elimination, you are sure to pinpoint the source of your level's low fps rate up to a point, although the hardware factor does play a part - ideally, we would all have access to a range of varying-spec machines for these tests.

Then please email your findings to Mr Bamber (along with your full system specs), that we might all benefit.

Good luck!
Julian
PM
PartTimeCoder
Years of Service
User Offline
I have a GT 730 and I have to cut pretty much everything down to get a decent framerate, turn off bloom and have shaders set to medium and I can load up the map a little but still lucky to breach 30fps when lots of entities and AI stuff going on, is it a busy map?? or always like that on a empty map??
PM
Bisella
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2016 00:24
Quote: " I'm told by another user we are all in the "same low fps boat""

My ideas is to create a very large interior level. But for now (in the last 3 year) i made only test. In the map i place 4 room and 2 corridor. If with few model in scene fps is 30.....maybe in complete level is 1

PM
Stab in the Dark software
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2016 01:41
Your GPU is the problem it has a very low score below minimum requirements for GG.

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=GeForce+GT+730
The coffee is lovely dark and deep,and I have code to write before I sleep.
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2016 01:53
Those textures are quite large. I do recommend though finding ways to remove the water and terrain, as mentioned above. Also if you can take out the skybox too.
Twitter - Teabone3 | Youtube - Teabone3 | Twitch - Teabone3

i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce GT 740
Jerry Tremble
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2016 02:55
I would recommend looking at this thread if you are experiencing low frame rates if you haven't already. It's just one thread above this one as I write this, so perhaps you have. There is a lot of info on optimization. This is something that that is important no matter what engine you use, and for every entity. Although the original post is about polygon count, the discussion evolves into texture size (such as normal and specular don't have to be the same size as the diffuse, the diffuse mat not even need to be the size it is), LOD, (use it when you can), reducing draw calls, etc. Hope it helps!

https://forum.game-guru.com/thread/215957
MAME Cab PC: i7 4770@3.4Ghz (passmark 9945), 12GB RAM, Win 10/64, GeForce GTX 1080 (Passmark 12735); Shiny new laptop: i7 4800MQ@2.7Ghz (passmark 8586), 16GB RAM, Win 10/64, GeForce GTX870M (passmark 3598); Old laptop: i5@2.3Ghz, 8GB RAM, Win 7/64, Intel 3000 graphics
PM
TazMan
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2016 11:22
Quote: "I've been experiencing low fps also. I'm told by another user we are all in the "same low fps boat""

Yes I bought a new laptop that was giving me 100+ fps on the last version of GG and after living with between 8 - 18 fps this was fantastic. Then the new version was introduced and my fps dove to about 40. After talking to a couple of people I decided to wait until the next version.
Alienware M15x I7 720QM (1.60Ghz 8mb), 8GB Memory, 1GB NVIDIA GForce GTX 260m, 15.6", 64 Bit Operating System (Windows 10), 1 TB Hard Drive.

I've got something to say - It's better to burn out than fade away.
Bisella
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2016 16:13

I get it
my pc is like a Commodore 64
PM
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "The fps increased from 18 to 28 ( still too low ) The hidden terrain unfortunately creates a strange effect , as fogged glasses (
or drunk character)"

Yes I've mentioned this before, removing terrain although a good speed boost seems to affect shadow and lighting. I've told the devs before, but not seen any movement on this one as yet.

Have you disabled water effects as well? You can do it in editor or script. I prefer script generally as you can change as and when you want. Also you can try altering your setup to reduce visuals down a little.

reflectionrendersize can be reduced if you have water.
dividetexturesize can be increased to reduce overall texture size ( a good way to test your textures are causing issues). 1 is default and does not alter them, 2 divides by 2 and so on...

Also, don't use the default camera range, it's way higher than needed for an indoor scene. Try to get it under 10 and you should have a significant boost.

SPECS: Q6600 CPU. Nvidia 660GTX. 8 Gig Memory. Win 7.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-06-29 03:03:59
Your offset time is: 2024-06-29 03:03:59