Product Chat / Can't download store items

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2016 18:51
Basically the title. I have reinstalled my OS and had to redownload gameguru - but, I can't download items from store. I can new ones, but can't those that I have already used in the past. I have also contacted support, but no answer. What can I do?
PM
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 12th Jul 2016 19:11 Edited at: 13th Jul 2016 16:20
Were the old ones free items per chance? If so then it's not a bug, you can only download the free items within the first 24hrs of purchase, after that it's down to you to keep a backup.

i5, NV960 2GB, 16GB memory, 2x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.
i3 , Intel integrated graphics, 6GB memory, 512GB Generic SATAIII Win8.1.
Intel Celeron (duel Core), Radeon integrated graphics, 4GB memory, 180gB Generic SATAII, WinVista.
Q6600, Intel integrated graphics, 8GB memory, 512GB Generic SATAII, Win7.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2016 22:10
Press the green Help button and let support know. They will be able to get it fixed for you.
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s), 8gb RAM, Nvidia gtx660, Windows 7 Pro 64bit, Screen resolution 1680 x 1050.

JohnS_CZ
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2016 07:58 Edited at: 13th Jul 2016 10:56
Thanks for replies. @Belidos I have downloaded 95% of my free items before this 5 per moth / 24 hr was added, so I think it's unfair. And if it is true, I will not bother supporting and making games through GG anymore.
@Pirate Myke I have contacted support@thegamecreators.com with no reply.
EDIT: so i have contacted them again via help.
PM
wizard of id
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: CSGO
Posted: 13th Jul 2016 15:33
Thanks for replies. @Belidos I have downloaded 95% of my free items before this 5 per moth / 24 hr was added, so I think it's unfair.

Unfair how ? Unfair that you have been limited on free items, or unfair that TGC was picking up the bandwidth tab every month for the free items, at no cost to you. Servers and bandwidth cost lots of money, money that has to come from some where. You can still have your free fix by visiting the relevant websites, where free media has moved over to, or visit the subforum dedicated to free media.

So I don't think if you look at the problem logically and understand why free media had to be restricted, you need to boycott gameguru on some thing beyond their control.Taking a breath or two might not be such a bad idea.
Win7 pro, Intel 2500K @3.7ghz 660GTX 8gig ram 16tb HDD
JohnS_CZ
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2016 15:56
@wizard of id
What If I had a game already created, where I put many hours in with some assets used and some prepared to use, now all those hours are wasted. It IS unfair. If they will let me download them again, even when I would have to pay that bandwith, I'm okay with that. But it IS stupid.
Tell me, when other engines have free assets, does it work the same way?
PM
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 13th Jul 2016 16:17
I can understand how you feel, and yes it is gutting to suddenly not have those assets, and can be a pain. But I also understand the dilemma they had with the amount of bandwidth being used by them, and understand that they needed to restrict or remove them.

What I think they should have done is implemented a system where they were free to download the first time, and then subsequent downloads would have a small download free, say 10 cents to cover bandwidth.

To be fair to TGC though, personally I think those who put items up for free (remember the free models on the store are not TGC's models, they're community sellers models) should also have found somewhere else to host them as an alternate download so people wouldn't lose them if they have to reinstall without a backup.

i5, NV960 2GB, 16GB memory, 2x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.
i3 , Intel integrated graphics, 6GB memory, 512GB Generic SATAIII Win8.1.
Intel Celeron (duel Core), Radeon integrated graphics, 4GB memory, 180gB Generic SATAII, WinVista.
Q6600, Intel integrated graphics, 8GB memory, 512GB Generic SATAII, Win7.
wizard of id
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: CSGO
Posted: 13th Jul 2016 16:34 Edited at: 13th Jul 2016 16:35
Quote: "@wizard of id
What If I had a game already created, where I put many hours in with some assets used and some prepared to use, now all those hours are wasted. It IS unfair. If they will let me download them again, even when I would have to pay that bandwith, I'm okay with that. But it IS stupid.
Tell me, when other engines have free assets, does it work the same way?"

Have you considered how much content costs on the unity and UDK store, and how large the user base is, as well as how much the software costs, it by far offsets any bandwidth costs.For a small development house with cheap content, and by far the cheapest software it isn't practical, especially with the large-ish user base we have now, 3 Terabytes in hosting fees are no laughing matter, over any above paying the hosting fees for paid content.

4TB of hosting space costs $400 easily, and I am not sure that even includes download bandwidth.... $4800 or more a year for some thing that is free, it means TGC has to sell 342 @ $14(steam take 30% of the sale at $20) copies of gameguru just cover the luxury of free items, that said it wouldn't come out of the gameguru kitty, that will come from the store, where TGC takes 30% of the sales. Then likely end up paying the server fees and store fees from that and end up with maybe total 10% in sales revenue, it's less then nothing.

Would you prefer the artists cover the bandwidth? I can categorically state they will not cover the bandwidth costs, plus having to pay for 30% to TGC for using the store as their chosen platform.

Lots of the free items are still on the store, however most items have just been moved over to the paid content for a nominal fee to address the issue of bandwidth, there is really nothing to complain about.

Have you ever considered asking the user for the content, fairly quickly to say now I can't do this or do that, if there is a means there is always a way.I really don't see how it's unfair to you, and sorry you feel that way.
Win7 pro, Intel 2500K @3.7ghz 660GTX 8gig ram 16tb HDD
JohnS_CZ
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2016 16:43
I said I have no issue to pay something to download it again, as long as it isn't some crazy price. I'm also willing to pay for some packs in the future, but I really feel it's unfair that there isn't any way to download it again.
Belidos wrote: " What I think they should have done is implemented a system where they were free to download the first time, and then subsequent downloads would have a small download free, say 10 cents to cover bandwidth."

I vote for this.
Belidos wrote: " To be fair to TGC though, personally I think those who put items up for free (remember the free models on the store are not TGC's models, they're community sellers models) should also have found somewhere else to host them as an alternate download so people wouldn't lose them if they have to reinstall without a backup."

I agree with this too. There are many cloud hostings with 10-50 GB of free space.
PM
The Next
TGC Web Engineer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2016 16:43 Edited at: 13th Jul 2016 16:45
@JohnS_CZ

When we made this change to the store, we posted a sticky on the forums. We also added messages on the store pages and to the store FAQ to make it as clear as possible to everyone. You are responsible for the backups of free media and this is also the policy on many other content distribution sites where they may limit to only a few downloads of free media.

As other users have stated providing free media comes with a large cost to us.

However in this case I would happily enable your free items for a one time re-download if you contact me via PM with your email address. After which I suggest you keep a copy for re-installation, you can do this by simply making a copy of the "Files" directory in GameGuru.

Hopefully you choose to continue using the store, we have a great selection of media both free and paid
Windows 7 Pro, Intel i7 3.8 GHz (Passmark: 9021), 16GB DDR3, NVIDIA GTX 780 4GB Superclocked (Passmark: 8056)
PM
JohnS_CZ
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2016 16:53 Edited at: 13th Jul 2016 16:54
Thank you, @The Next
The Next wrote: " When we made this change to the store, we posted a sticky on the forums. We also added messages on the store pages and to the store FAQ to make it as clear as possible to everyone. "

I'm sorry, I wasn't a store regular until recently and most of those items I had downloaded before the change. Since I remember how I redownloaded it once, I was really thinking there will be no issues with redownloading content. I saw those messages when I added few other items later, but haven't paid much attention (and I should have, sorry).
The Next wrote: "You are responsible for the backups of free media and this is also the policy on many other content distribution sites where they may limit to only a few downloads of free media."

After a power loss, my PC somehow broke and I kept getting BSOD. I wasn't able to even boot it. After 3 afternoons and evenings, I got it working, but It wasn't stable. I copied my profile folder which hosted most important things and fresh installed my OS. Thinking about store assets really wasn't my priority, but I will make sure to backup them from now on.
The Next wrote: " As other users have stated providing free media comes with a large cost to us."

I suggest what Belidos said, I would paid for later downloads unless it would be something crazy like 1€ per item.
The Next wrote: "However in this case I would happily enable your free items for a one time re-download if you contact me via PM with your email address. After which I suggest you keep a copy for re-installation, you can do this by simply making a copy of the "Files" directory in GameGuru."

Thank you again
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-28 22:59:38
Your offset time is: 2024-09-28 22:59:38