Product Chat / What about that FPSC's segments "retro" look?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I almost completely switched to Game Guru after it's release on Steam, yet I miss the look of the original FPS Creator.

In particular I am referring to the way levels were created: segments instead of a wide open terrain.

This isn't just nostalgia. It really changed the way we can create our games. WIth FPSC one could usually create "Half-Life" or "Doom-style" games with blocky rooms and corridors filled with enemies. Some notable exceptions were made, but although great, they were almost at the engine's limits.

Now, my question is: will GG feature some segment editor in the (near) future? Open terrain is great, but IMO it would even be better if the two systems worked together allowing enhanced flexibility between closed and open levels. All of this obviously combined with the advanced engine and scripting possibilities of Game Guru.
PM
Jerry Tremble
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2016 20:31
First, the bad news, and the most direct answer to your question: At this time, there is nothing like the segments in GG, and at this time there is no intention of implementing it.

Now, the good news! The first version "Easy Building Editor" is just being polished off and getting ready for the beta testers. Lee is open to suggestions and criticisms of the building editor from everyone. When the first version comes out, that would be the time to voice your opinion on the implementation of segments! There are many around here that would like that ability (myself included), and in the democratic style of TGC, it might convince Lee to implement something similar. Take an early look at the EBE in the last Twitch broadcast and in the latest news to get an idea of how it's being implemented so far. I'ts not bad, really, just not quite "segments" in the classic sense.

There is also a Third Party Tool that allows you to import your segments into GG. I haven't used it, and don't own it, but it might be worth a shot and the price if it's that important a feature.
MAME Cab PC: i7 4770@3.4Ghz (passmark 9945), 12GB RAM, Win 10/64, GeForce GTX645 (passmark 1898); Shiny new laptop: i7 4800MQ@2.7Ghz (passmark 8586), 16GB RAM, Win 10/64, GeForce GTX870M (passmark 3598); Old laptop: i5@2.3Ghz, 8GB RAM, Win 7/64, Intel 3000 graphics
PM
Comby
Years of Service
User Offline
The EBE looks indeed very promising!

I just wonder if we will be able to use it on a bigger scale like segments...!

I'm going to read the EBE topic ASAP!
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-06-29 02:29:28
Your offset time is: 2024-06-29 02:29:28