Product Chat / Doom Enemy

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello,
I would like a 2D "Doom" opponents in the game and wanted to ask if this is possible again? Is there perhaps already a guide? I have sprites for Idle, Walk, Run, Shoot, Dead and unfortunately no idea how I can accomplish it

Could someone please help me? I would also buy a ready-made 2D Enemy as a template in the store
PM
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2016 10:55
I have legitimately no clue how to possible start this and therefore think that it can not be done yet.
I might be wrong though, maybe scripting gurus like SmallG, Dvader or Corno1 got an idea on how to tackle this.

From my perspective: This is not yet possible.

-Wolf
"When I contradict myself, I am telling the truth"
"absurdity has become necessity"
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2016 12:14 Edited at: 29th Jun 2016 14:08
Best I can come up with as a quick test....
Its possible to just have them animated as just running I suppose as they were a bit erratic anyway
So I guess its not impossible to fake it ..

The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
As far as I know you can't change or control 2d animations, the best way might be to use multiple entities and swap them as needed.
2d is relatively new in GG so there's not really many commands yet.
lua guide for GG
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=398177770
windows 10
i5 @4ghz, 8gb ram, AMD R9 200 series , directx 11
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2016 15:33
Yes, there are very few LUA commands to control the actual texture of the flat 'quad' decal model right now, but as the application of such control is vast, this is something that will likely happen once we get some community momentum behind the idea. There are many techniques for this, but the one I would choose is a texture atlas which subdivides the animations for one or two actions, and then use 'texture slices' (texture volumes) to load up the texture 'block' with more animation sets for extra actions, which can then be switched to without too much memory overhead. Texture volumes are treated as one texture and can be thought of as a box with many slides contained in them, and those slides can be indexed instantly and rendered to the screen. Would be a great feature for other things such as TV monitors and screens, shimmering portals, fixed dynamic reflections and perhaps the most exciting, changing the clothing of characters and surface texture of entities to transform them in game without resorting to switching in a second entity.
PC SPECS: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit, Intel Core i7-5930K (PASSMARK:13645), NVIDIA Geforce GTX 980 GPU (PASSMARK:9762) , 32GB RAM

PartTimeCoder
Years of Service
User Offline
could this not be achieved with a few stacked 3D plains, one for each frame and show/hide them in the timeline to give the appearance of an animation like a flicker book ..... so when its loaded up in GG you just need to set the animation frames and play/loop ...... just a thought!
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
I did get him animating and shooting using a decal ...
But then he lost the will to move
PM
PartTimeCoder
Years of Service
User Offline
so, that's the static guard taken care of lol

I'm probably wrong but my thinking is: a 3D flicker book of plains could be imported as a character and incorporated into the AI system and declare the required csi_ frames for basic movement .... would the lack of bones be an issue, don't know, but maybe worth a shot
PM
3com
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2016 18:28
Quote: "Texture volumes are treated as one texture and can be thought of as a box with many slides contained in them, and those slides can be indexed instantly and rendered to the screen. Would be a great feature for other things such as TV monitors and screens, shimmering portals, fixed dynamic reflections and perhaps the most exciting, changing the clothing of characters and surface texture of entities to transform them in game without resorting to switching in a second entity."

Interested about this last part.

3com
Laptop: Lenovo - Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 1005M @ 1.90GHz

OS: Windows 10 (64) - Ram: 4 gb - Hd: 283 gb - Video card: Intel(R) HD Graphics

PM
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Having never tried this I am unsure, but as Lee suggests a texture atlas would be needed. If you used Bond's TV shader on a plain and had the anims as frames of the run etc. you could sort of do it. Although as there is no way to control that anim, you would indeed need several plains with the various anims attached and hide/show the relevant anims. I think it would be possible, although a lot of work in both graphics and scripting. hope this gives you some ideas to play with

SPECS: Q6600 CPU. Nvidia 660GTX. 8 Gig Memory. Win 7.
medi
Years of Service
User Offline
@synchromesh

How did you manage that the NPC the player attacks?

I once played around a little with the decal (decal_facing.lua) and that is exactly what I was looking. Now I would have only managed to do that the decal will attack the player
PM
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2016 18:31 Edited at: 8th Aug 2016 04:41
The closest I could come. :/ since I'm no good at LUA

Considering we can build an atlas for 2D decals for things like fire, smoke and etc. It seems almost possible. I mean currently you can have an animated 2D person however to trigger changes in the animation based on its actions is currently not possible as all mentioned above.

(Ive not yet practiced with a moving and animated 2D decal.)
Twitter - Teabone3 | Youtube - Teabone3 | Twitch - Teabone3

i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce GT 740
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "How did you manage that the NPC the player attacks?"

Here ya go ... This will show you

Attachments

Login to view attachments
PM
medi
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks a lot!
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-06-29 03:37:12
Your offset time is: 2024-06-29 03:37:12