Product Chat / Standalone Multiplayer

Author
Reviewed GameGuru on Steam
Years of Service
User Offline
Just noticed they added standalone multiplayer to the community vote. For everyone that wants standalone multiplayer and ticked "free player app" change it to "standalone multiplayer". This should be implemented asap.
Dev911
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2016 10:04
Absolutely agree this is important!
PM
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2016 20:39
@str8savagem8 : If you can get 8000 voting points on it, I would be more than happy to implement it. Democratising development with GameGuru
PC SPECS: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit, Intel Core i7-5930K (PASSMARK:13645), NVIDIA Geforce GTX 980 GPU (PASSMARK:9762) , 32GB RAM

str8savagem8
Years of Service
User Offline
@LeeBamber I know. I didn't notice they added it so I was just letting anybody that wants standalone MP know. Because at first it wasn't even on the list so all we could choose was "free player app". Wasn't sure if everyone was aware that standalone multiplayer is on there now so I felt I should make this post.
Mathiasdam
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah it was added after hence why it doesn't have a lot of votes
PM
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2016 11:14 Edited at: 24th Jun 2016 11:15
I put my vote into it for you just because

So is standalone multiplayer for private servers and then free player app would be for the steam multiplayer?
lua guide for GG
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=398177770
windows 10
i5 @4ghz, 8gb ram, AMD R9 200 series , directx 11
Mathiasdam
Years of Service
User Offline
I guess standalone multiplayer will work as peer-to-peer like the old games where one person acts as the host. Obviously only works for max 12-16 players, works for both internet and LAN. If people then wants to make a MMO or something with more than the 12-16 players they would need to provide and set up everything themselves

Atleast that is how i visioned it when i suggested it
PM
str8savagem8
Years of Service
User Offline
Standalone multiplayer is where people can just download the game and play it online. Free player app is where you need to download the app on steam and the map, so you download 2 things instead of 1.
Mathiasdam
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks a lot to you people voting for it, however it seems like it will be years away Actually thought more people would be interrested in this, but well that's how democracy works ^^
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Thanks a lot to you people voting for it, however it seems like it will be years away Actually thought more people would be interrested in this, but well that's how democracy works ^^ "

I don't think its the fact its not wanted by many ... But more of the fact they want other things first.
It will creep up the list as more features are added
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
WertesGroupStudio
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi, I'm new here
Where is the vote form ?
Thanks.
WGS
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Top of the page under Features ....

https://www.game-guru.com/feature-vote
PM
PartTimeCoder
Years of Service
User Offline
maybe the 2 should be merged into a single item and inherit the voting points to prevent mass voting and dislodging other items with all the shifting voting points? we only have so many points each, right?
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2016 23:59 Edited at: 4th Jul 2016 00:01
Quote: "maybe the 2 should be merged into a single item and inherit the voting points to prevent mass voting and dislodging other items with all the shifting voting points? we only have so many points each, right?"

I think they are to different to be merged ... The free app is probably the easiest via steam I would imagine
Standalone Multiplayer requires a lot more work and more heavy coding I would imagine .

Free player app for non GameGuru users
A free, Steam based downloadable app that allows non-gameguru users to host and join gameguru multiplayer games.

Standalone Multiplayer
In addition to exporting standalone single player games, the ability to export a standalone that allows peer-to-peer multiplayer sessions to be created without the need for the Steam API. Would require the user to create their own server architecture and configure the standalone multiplayer game to connect to the server.
PM
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2016 12:23
Yes indeed, they are two completely different creatures, and when I drop Steam API I will need to write a lot of stuff from scratch!
PC SPECS: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit, Intel Core i7-5930K (PASSMARK:13645), NVIDIA Geforce GTX 980 GPU (PASSMARK:9762) , 32GB RAM

Mathiasdam
Years of Service
User Offline
This might sound stupid but would it be posible to actually combine the two in a way? Say i create a standalone and send the standalone to my friend. When i host the game it will use Steam and show a list of games however it will in this case only show a list of games identically to my standalone. Sort of like most multiplayer mods for various games work.

To make it short all standalones will use the Steam app, but can only see other hosted games with the exact same standalone

I may be totally off about this even being posible though
PM
PartTimeCoder
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I think they are to different to be merged ... "

Quote: "Yes indeed, they are two completely different creatures"

so am I right in thinking:

"player app for those not wanting or knowing how to setup servers uses steamAPI"

and

" full standalone multiplayer for those power users that do want to manage there own servers"

if so, yeah I completely agree there entirely different.

Quote: "To make it short all standalones will use the Steam app, but can only see other hosted games with the exact same standalone
"

I actually really like that idea but I also like the idea of managing our own servers over peer to peer...... full MMORPG ahoy!!

PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-06-29 02:36:01
Your offset time is: 2024-06-29 02:36:01