Product Chat / A few questions.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
1. Is there a possible way to take the models from the given assets from the GAME GURU team (mega pack 1/ sci fi bundle, etc.) and put them in blender where I can retexture them or possibly tweak them to my liking?
2. The default size of the terrain is quite large and I was hoping someone knew some way to decrease the size of the entire map/region?
3. Is there a way to make it so that part of the terrain has one texture, and another region has a different texture? So say I wanted half my map to be jungle while the other half is a grassland?

Sorry if some of my questions are worded awkwardly, I hate communicating cause I have the communication skills of a 4 year old.
I am an aspiring game developer and I've already learned a lot about modeling in blender and I am currently focusing on honing my skills. I'll have plenty of questions and if anyone could lend me a helping hand to start out with that would be great. Thank you!
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2016 23:26 Edited at: 18th Jun 2016 23:29
1.. I'm guessing any modelling program that imports .X files and then export to .Obj will do the job ..

2.. Well not really as such but you can run test game ... press " Tab Tab " and bring the "Terrain Size " slider down but the water still exists and if you keep walking the terrain will pop up in front eventually . But you can turn off sky and water completely if your creating an indoor level ..Or going in and out of a underground bunker for example ... And of course you don't need to use it all

3... if you created your own paint textures then it is possible .... You can create or edit up to four in the terrainbank in GameGuru
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2016 09:35
Ahh the fabled do-it-all modelling program that I've been searching for ....

Ultimate unwrap imports .x models (after you've paid for it) and purports to export them as well, it also claims to do .dbo files but I've yet to actually get a model back into GG and rendering properly. Characters are particularly annoying, they animate fine in UU but when in GG the character turns into something resembling roadkill. Is there a simple fix for this?
Been there, done that, got all the T-Shirts!
PM
AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2016 10:46
For example:

Attachments

Login to view attachments
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2016 11:16 Edited at: 19th Jun 2016 11:18
Quote: "1. Is there a possible way to take the models from the given assets from the GAME GURU team (mega pack 1/ sci fi bundle, etc.) and put them in blender where I can retexture them or possibly tweak them to my liking?"

You didn't actually say animated characters ..... That's a completely different ballgame ...
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2016 11:44
No that was me.

The point about " .. any modelling program that imports .X files and then export to .Obj will do the job" though remains, a lot of the entities don't have .x files only .dbo, but even when you have the .x files it isn't always as simple as it should be.

For example I used a conversion tool to read the .x file for a simple building from one of the GG packs and convert to .3ds format, limported that to Blender, cut an opening in one wall for a window, so far so good. Made sure all the surfaces were triangulated and had no holes etc, exported back to .x from Blender, loaded GG and tested it out. Initially the model looked ok but at certain angle the wall would disappear. I believe that has something to do with my "normals" or something.

I am continuingly baffled by the 3d modelling worlds inability to make things just 'work', a model made by one tool and exported to some so-called 'standard' file format may or may not load into a different tool correctly, and what is worse it usually isn't obvious that it hasn't! When you add in the fact that to do anything meaningful you need a tool-chain approach , with different parts of the process being done in different tools, when the final object doesn't then work in GG it is not easy to determining where in the chain the problem occurred.

PM
Jerry Tremble
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2016 14:13
My favorite format among the "poor man's" (non 3ds max/maya software) is Milkshape 3d. It imports/exports faithfully between them all, as far as I've experienced. Milkshape (of course), Blender, Fragmotion, and Ultimate Unwrap all do it with animations intact. One thing, when loading in this format into Blender, though, is that it takes a LONG time. No, Blender didn't crash, just go make some coffee or tea, have a cup, go check the mail, etc. If you can get it into Blender, things will be fine as long as you're using 2.69. I know some people have had some success with newer versions, but I still stick with 2.69, as I've seen more people with issues than successes. I still have 2.76 installed but I use it for solid geometry for 3D printing.
MAME Cab PC: i7 4770@3.4Ghz (passmark 9945), 12GB RAM, Win 10/64, GeForce GTX645 (passmark 1898); Shiny new laptop: i7 4800MQ@2.7Ghz (passmark 8586), 16GB RAM, Win 10/64, GeForce GTX870M (passmark 3598); Old laptop: i5@2.3Ghz, 8GB RAM, Win 7/64, Intel 3000 graphics
PM
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
The only way I get Blender models to animate correctly is to animate using basic limb rotations etc. Any boned model I have tried, is either a statue, or as stated above, a freak show. I'm no expert in this area, but I know I never had issues with DB and this type of thing. I think GG is just a bit picky about this in comparison. I don't know why models had to change orientation of limbs from FPSC to GG really, it just makes using older characters you already own useless without a really horrible conversion process. I mean why reverse sides at all? An oversight perhaps, not noticed till the media was done and dusted?

I am hoping that in future, Fuse characters will be supported out the box. That's pretty much the only way I will be able to make people I've played with other apps as well, such as makehuman, but all my attempts normally end up with statues , despite the fact they animate great in Blender (well they animate anyway).

SPECS: Q6600 CPU. Nvidia 660GTX. 8 Gig Memory. Win 7.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-06-26 08:36:24
Your offset time is: 2024-06-26 08:36:24