Feature Creep / 'Physical' Lights in Editor

Author
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2016 12:30
This isn't so much of a feature suggestion, I'm just suggesting the system for placing lights in editor could be refined.

Because the lights as you place them aren't physically present in the editor (they're represented by a white lamp symbol and a little red dot), it's very difficult (for me, anyway) to get a precise fix on where the light actually is.

On FPSC classic I worked out that the light was actually emitting from the very top of the light bulb model, which enabled you to position quite accurately. On GG, it seems to emit from a dot which doesn't show when you enter positioning mode. The fact that the symbol always shows whether or not it intersects with other geometry can also make you think a light is in position, when it's actually miles off.

If you look in the attached screen shots as an exaggerated example, all I have done between shots is to move the camera. The light that you thought was just above the light bulb model (by Bod), is actually underneath the terrain.

I'd suggest having a physical representation of the light rather than an icon might make them easier to place. It would also have the benefit of tidying up the editor, as in the case of the third shot where the number of lights makes it hard to see the wood from the trees.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
agree, lights should be 3D not 2D as they currently are.
lua guide for GG
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=398177770
windows 10
i5 @4ghz, 8gb ram, AMD R9 200 series , directx 11
str8savagem8
Reviewed GameGuru on Steam
Years of Service
User Offline
Click on it after you place it and slightly move it. This should now show you the light in the editor (until you go in test mode or close GG)
Tarkus1971
Audio Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2016 17:56 Edited at: 30th Jun 2016 17:58
There is a lot wrong with dynamic lights in GG at the moment, they work ok, but they do not cast shadows in realtime, only 4 in close proximity alight at the time. No option to fade in and out in LUA.

We need the ability to toggle flashlight only mode, which would mean all dynamic lights go out, including the sun, and only the flashlight would emit light casting realtime shadows, take a look at Dying Light for some great flashlight effects.

Unlimited lights is on the voting board, unlimited dynamic lights, and we really need better lighting pretty soon I reckon.

If the flashlight was the only thing casting shadows then I think the FPS would increase also.
Aftershock Quad Core AMD FM2+ 3.5 GHz 8GB Motherboard and Processor, A7700k apu, Asus GT970 STRIX 4gb Nvidia gfx card.
King Korg Synth, Alesis SR18 Drum Machine, Akai MPX8 sample player, Roland Fantom XA Synth, Axus Digital AXK2 Digital Drum Kit, Novation Ultranova Synth, Waldorf Blofeld Synth.
PartTimeCoder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2016 21:22 Edited at: 30th Jun 2016 21:23
New 3D light models are coming in v1.14, they were posted in the forum but I cant find them now, Lee said he would add them to the core to replace the 2D ones (well, its a 3D plain but looks 2d), I grabbed them from the thread and they work a lot better (for placement)

maybe someone with a better memory can provide a link to that thread?
PM
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 1st Jul 2016 13:47
https://forum.game-guru.com/thread/215721#msg2551986

i5, NV960 2GB, 16GB memory, 2x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.
i3 , Intel integrated graphics, 6GB memory, 512GB Generic SATAIII Win8.1.
Intel Celeron (duel Core), Radeon integrated graphics, 4GB memory, 180gB Generic SATAII, WinVista.
Q6600, Intel integrated graphics, 8GB memory, 512GB Generic SATAII, Win7.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 16:11:58
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 16:11:58