Product Chat / This Would Be A Devastating Blow To Hardcore GameGuru Fans If Lee Bamber's 'Threat' Was Realised!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2016 18:17 Edited at: 11th Jun 2016 01:01

During this week's Twitch broadcast, Lee said that, unless some really substantial 'meaty' suggestions for Twitch broadcasts were regularly submitted for subject matter of the Twitch broadcasts, these broadcasts would be done only on a monthly basis. I feel this would be a huge loss!

It seems we have already lost the daily dev blogs and the weekly news. We seem to be increasingly in the dark.

A call to action has been issued by Lee to all GG users: Come up with some exciting suggestions or lose the weekly Twitch broadcasts!

I am now going to put on my thinking cap and try to come up with something in a bid to help save the weekly Twitch sessions. Who is with me on this? Let's put our heads together!
Julian
PM
Duchenkuke
GameGuru VBOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2016 19:32
What comes to my mind is AI.

I personally loved the weeping stone babies stream, and I'll be very interested in seeing more horror themed AI behavior !

I hope that this helps...
Together, we can do it

granada
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2016 20:21
Quote: "Lee said that, unless some really substantial 'meaty' suggestions for Twitch broadcasts were regularly submitted for subject matter of the Twitch broadcasts, these broadcasts would be gone only on a weekly basis. "

(is this blackmail)

How to improve ai would be great
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2016 20:40 Edited at: 10th Jun 2016 20:45
Quote: "How to improve ai would be great"

No point in AI... Its next on the voting list as a complete overhaul with bots on all levels ....
I don't think we are in the dark really ... Compared to my other similar products ... They just don't seem to even bother with news, twitches or appear on forums very much at all ....

Why not make it a simple "Question Time" or a chance for Lee to inform us what hes been doing in GG this week ....
Lee can grab a Guiness ... We can grab a Beer and just catchup
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
lordjulian
Years of Service
User Offline
I really looked forward to reading the blog each working day, and the weekly news. When they dried up I thought, 'terrible shame but at least we always have the weekly Twitch.'

Now....

Oh, what does it all mean?!
Julian
PM
Jerry Tremble
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2016 01:40
Quote: "Oh, what does it all mean?!"

I hope it means they're hard at work on Game Guru! I haven't seen this week's broadcast yet, and probably won't until Sunday, so I didn't see the threat. I do enjoy them, though, even if most of the time it's not live. I have learned much and I agree it would be a shame to stop them altogether. I will try to come up with some suggestions for topics as per your "call to action"! I just hope I can come up with something worthwhile!

I guess if there aren't any great ideas floating around for the broadcast, syncromesh's idea of just providing an update along with a Q&A session would be more than adequate for me, but once a week would probably not be necessary. Like syncromesh said, most producers of products aren't nearly as involved with their users as TGC are. That's one of the outstanding qualities of this group. I, too, have grown accustomed to being informed, and I think these guys overall do a pretty good job!
MAME Cab PC: i7 4770@3.4Ghz (passmark 9945), 12GB RAM, Win 10/64, GeForce GTX645 (passmark 1898); Shiny new laptop: i7 4800MQ@2.7Ghz (passmark 8586), 16GB RAM, Win 10/64, GeForce GTX870M (passmark 3598); Old laptop: i5@2.3Ghz, 8GB RAM, Win 7/64, Intel 3000 graphics
PM
Duchenkuke
GameGuru VBOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2016 01:43
yeah a Q&A is a good Idea in my Opinion. especially for newbies like me.
lordjulian
Years of Service
User Offline
Well, I would just like to be kept in the loop... a bit... one way or another.
Julian
PM
Baumgard
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm with you on this one lordjulian.
I'm really enjoying the weekly broadcast and will repeat my suggestion i wrote thursday on my twitch account (RalleDerRasende) while watching the live stream.
I'm thinking of a format which differs from the one we've seen the past weeks:
What about if lee starts making a bigger game together with the community week by week and as we get further into the making process we could stumble over thoughts and problems we would have never imagined beforehand.
It doesn't have to be a AAA title in the end but i think this format could be quite interesting in the long run.
PM
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "What about if lee starts making a bigger game together with the community week by week and as we get further into the making process we could stumble over thoughts and problems we would have never imagined beforehand. "

It's a good idea in theory. Often, I find that most time is spent on scripting, at least the later stages are. Which may be a bit slow for most peoples tastes, especially if something is quite the chore to write It depends on the game really. Still, could work, with perhaps some of the scripting being done between broadcasts and then used in the following one. As long as it isn't too much of course.

SPECS: Q6600 CPU. Nvidia 660GTX. 8 Gig Memory. Win 7.
lordjulian
Years of Service
User Offline
I agree.
Julian
PM
JackalHead
Years of Service
User Offline
Shaders and effects...........GG's are rubish. We need reflective mapping with bump, Parallax Mapping with bump, Cube Mapping with bump , Fire, Rain, etc.

No to mention one of the very most important things........Easy import of custom animated characters! I dont how many years we gotta harp about that befor its done.

Thanks
"So let it be written; so let it be done."
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Easy import of custom animated characters! I dont how many years we gotta harp about that befor its done."

Well I believe it was just over 7 before Unity finally sorted theirs if that's anything to go by
PM
JackalHead
Years of Service
User Offline
Mmm, In seven years GG will be outdated or working on something else.
"So let it be written; so let it be done."
PM
Jerry Tremble
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2016 03:32
Quote: "Mmm, In seven years GG will be outdated or working on something else"

Game Guru Reloaded, perhaps?
MAME Cab PC: i7 4770@3.4Ghz (passmark 9945), 12GB RAM, Win 10/64, GeForce GTX645 (passmark 1898); Shiny new laptop: i7 4800MQ@2.7Ghz (passmark 8586), 16GB RAM, Win 10/64, GeForce GTX870M (passmark 3598); Old laptop: i5@2.3Ghz, 8GB RAM, Win 7/64, Intel 3000 graphics
PM
wermer
Years of Service
User Offline
The Twitch's are cool, but they do get derailed sometimes. Just making a tutorial video without taking random questions would be way more efficient for Lee. On the other hand, the opportunity to directly interact with the devs in such a casual way is one of the coolest things about GG....
Windows 10 Home 64-bit / Intel i5 2500k @ 4.4Ghz + Asetek 510LC / Intel DP67DE / Intel 530 Series 240GB SSD / 16GB Kingston KVR 1333 / XFX Radeon R9 380X / Corsair TX 650 / Antec 300
PM
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "On the other hand, the opportunity to directly interact with the devs in such a casual way is one of the coolest things about GG...."

This
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2016 10:26 Edited at: 15th Jun 2016 10:26
Quote: "Mmm, In seven years GG will be outdated or working on something else. "

This was posted on steam by lee on the 13th in response to a similar question in a review

Quote: "Lee Bamber : I do plan to vastly improve the import capabilities in the near future (with ASSIMP support) so hopefully importing your own characters will be less painful, and I also plan to add lots more characters to the core product"
PM
science boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2016 14:23
in 7 years it will be updated.

fpsc was made for indoor game making only. the problems came later when everyone started to push its boundaries. the way it was written was limiting. it also was written in dark basic. restricting it more. also it was limited with many things. mainly people sticking with xp. and also other outside parties making this mod and that mod. so when lee was going to do reloaded he was going to make it better and more adaptable and giving it a long lifespan. they put all their eggs into this baby and have pledged forever to it.

roll on 2-4 years

we have large outdoor areas that don't freak out and freeze ( unless you not serious about gaming and not updated pc)
we have all the benefits of x10 like the menus and sliders
and we have a terrain maker
grass that moves
we have better frames all written in c++
we have a character creator
have a fantastic real time editor ( remember loading it in to see what it was like then going out and back in again and with no sliders ) so making a game is quicker than ever
we have lua for scripting
we have bullet physics
memory caps issue sorted no limit to items
a building editor for none modellers
occlusion and tactics to keep better fps
we have load and saving with choices and a none linear approach ( i think )
fbx importing
model gadget for sizing entities
a great community
and i am sure much more

the thing is we have received all of this over fps creator but we forget. also lee as made it better and more adaptable so he can add change easy with no mod heads jumping in making mods for it and messing the engine up. the less can get in the better in my eyes bloating the engine with random code makes it messy i think lee spent a week removing all the code.

the thing is we take now rag doll and iron sights and all that stuff for granted. but i remember when they toyed with putting in ragdoll to fpsc the forums went giddy with excitement. now its not even remembered, its there. along with so much other stuff. lee has i believed learnt from experience and the community and are now side by side learning as we go. we have great artists great scripters and those who push the boundaries and forever keeping tgc in awe. there is a long way to go and i had to sit back and think, i can moan for england and i am sure others do to. but how far this engine as gone and has no intentions of stopin, it is built on strong foundations now and will be able to grow, fpsc was limited game guru is not. so to the comment of will be out of date, i dont think it will to be fair. i think lee will adapt what needs adapting to give the new x whatever and the new parts, like a pc if you have a great case you can change the parts needed to keep it up to date or advanced. just got to make sure the case is future proof. game guru is i believe. so as to a comment of negative attitude and not really thought out comment

YOUR WRONG

viva la game guru
an unquenchable thirst for knowledge of game creation!!!
3com
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2016 16:44
@ science boy
The firts time I got all you write. without needing google translator. LOL (just kidding mate)

Totally agree!

Here are people working in wonderfull levels, just has to see showcase and WIP forums, when I see those guys work, I can confirm the great power of GG, being part of the solution.

for all them.

What we would say about MacGyver, if he said something like:
Oh no!, I can not escape, because I have not a shining key, or a hammer or a screwdriver.

3com
Laptop: Lenovo - Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 1005M @ 1.90GHz

OS: Windows 10 (64) - Ram: 4 gb - Hd: 283 gb - Video card: Intel(R) HD Graphics

PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
I was thinking .... How did I ever manage without Freeview and the ability to place objects inside buildings without Tab and scroll
I totally take it for granted now

PM
Nomad Soul
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2016 00:03 Edited at: 16th Jun 2016 00:09
Quote: "Mmm, In seven years GG will be outdated or working on something else"

If GG is still relevant in 7 years time it will have been one of the most successful game engines of all time!

Yeah so in the absence of live tutorials, I would also welcome a weekly slot to have a live Q+A with Lee. It would be useful to get his thoughts on where things are headed and progress with the voting board list etc. The only problem with these is the timing is never going to suit everyone.
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "jackelHead : Mmm, In seven years GG will be outdated or working on something else. "

Ok have it now then
https://forum.game-guru.com/thread/215728
PM
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2016 03:59
I find the tutorials to be quite helpful. As I tend to miss out on new short cut keys added and things like that.

I've been away for quite some time due to work and hopefully I can return, actively, to the community again. Great to see the new updates
Twitter - Teabone3 | Youtube - Teabone3 | Twitch - Teabone3

i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce GT 740

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-06-26 08:52:43
Your offset time is: 2024-06-26 08:52:43