Product Chat / Fighting Games in GameGuru

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello all, I am researching engines to make makes some simple games, mostly for home/fun purposes. I'd like to make FPS and 3rd person action games (think dark souls, but nowhere near as good), but I'm mostly looking to make a fighting game. Seeing that GG is on sale right now, I wanted to ask around before i purchased, if it is good for making fighting games? In the vein of Street Fighter, or Guilty Gear. Basically, I need the camera locked to the side, pulling away as the players get further apart, on a 2D plane, locked on to one another. The controls, a button layout of various normal moves (Lite, med, heavy punches and kicks), with special moves mapped to directional + button input (AKA street fighter inputs). GG looks like it would be a good engine to play with either way, but I'd like to know it's an all-in-one purchase for me.
PM
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
At the moment many features you want are not present (without coding). You cannot lock the camera, unless you take over control completely. A fighting game I imagine is not really best suited to GG, but if you have the media, and can code then yes I would say it is possible.

SPECS: Q6600 CPU. Nvidia 660GTX. 8 Gig Memory. Win 7.
RickyJ_Play
Years of Service
User Offline
Aw, that's unfortunate. Hopefully that will be implemented soon, since the world certainly has enough shooter out there lol
PM
RickyJ_Play
Years of Service
User Offline
Camera issues aside. Would the other criteria such as button layout, and command inputs be available to me without coding?
PM
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
you would need to script the entire battle stuff yourself and GG can't really handle a lot, depending on how far you wanted to go with the game i would probably try something else, seems a bit of a waste to use GG when you could get much better results in a different engine for the same amount of work
lua guide for GG
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=398177770
windows 10
i5 @4ghz, 8gb ram, AMD R9 200 series , directx 11
lordjulian
Years of Service
User Offline
"Advanced melee" is on the voting list. Maybe that will eventually evolve to allow for fighting games. Someone will probably do it in Lua - I am frequently awe-struck by the talent of some of the coders in this community!
Julian
PM
SpaceWurm
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 7th Jun 2016 12:53 Edited at: 27th Jul 2019 14:27
I know it's not condoned listing another engine here, but it's to help out a fellow brethren.

I'm at "work" at the moment but a really cool engine called M.U.G.E.N which is specifically made for 2d fighting games. When I get home I can upload and send you a copy. It's not easy finding a good copy as the company that created the product's site is down.

EDIT: ALSO just found this http://playism-games.com/game/64/ef-12-creator-s-edition
RickyJ_Play
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2016 00:51 Edited at: 8th Jun 2016 13:11
Yeah I know about MUGEN. I think I may still have it. All in all the issue is I know nothing about coding, and expect it to take some time to learn, which I am just too impatient for RN. Creating sprites? I could figure that out (either spending the money on a sprite rendering software, or doing it painstakingly by hand) I played with them and The Games Factory when I was like 13. I would like to learn coding in the future, but for now, I just want to make something and have fun with it.

One more question I forgot to ask. I see that there have been fixes for importing Mixamo Fuse models... is there one where I don't have to acquire 2 more programs to avoid having to start from scratch? I bought GG to take advantage of the sale (SUPER cheap! I'm happy regardless) but I was playing with Mixamo before hand, and I don't want to drop another dollar on game development until I know I'm A. Working on something worth spending money on B. Start making games for something other than "I wanna make a game " C. Go to school to learn development. It seems really inconvenient that I have to import the model to one program just so I can import it into another, then into GG. But that's coming from a guy trying to develop a game with no clue about scripting, so what do I know right?

Thank you all for your help
PM
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Even in GG, if you could lock the camera, and had characters ready, you would still need to be able to write lua code for your characters to do anything. If you used default models you would still have to, unless you want the player to move in and out of the screen as well, plus have no real fighting moves.

Gamemaker Studio might be more suitable. You still have to code, but there is more in the way of drag and drop to use as well. I found it very good and fast, but after a brief foray and making an asteroids game and a really basic platformer, I've not used it since. Certainly the easiest program I have used for making 2D games overall. Although being old school, I prefer something like AGK generally.

SPECS: Q6600 CPU. Nvidia 660GTX. 8 Gig Memory. Win 7.
RickyJ_Play
Years of Service
User Offline
Any recommendations on a quick intro to coding? I actually do have gamemaker studio, I just don't know anything about coding
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-06-26 08:08:31
Your offset time is: 2024-06-26 08:08:31