Product Chat / Winzone confusion

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: A little of everything!
Posted: 27th May 2016 15:54
Hi, posting this here because I'm not sure if I'm simply doing something wrong, and wasn't sure what other board this would fit in.

New to the program and was just making a two level winzone loop to see how they work, which they don't for me. When I step into the winzone it just reloads the same level I'm in.

I have my winzones set up for level1 (if used level2); also level2 (if used level1). If I run the levels in test mode the expected message pops up saying move to level2 (in level1) and move to level1 (in level2) .

I have them saved in the same folder, and had level1 loaded when I saved as standalone. When I open the files for the standalone, both level1 and level2 are in the folders.
PM
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2016 19:03 Edited at: 27th May 2016 19:04
Normally you build from the starting level.
Is this the case for you?

Also if all else fails put the folders in a sub folder in the mapbanks folder Like cartoon antics is.
retry to build stand alone from starting level.

Also what version of Game Guru are your running? You can find this in the help about screen.
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s), 8gb RAM, Nvidia gtx660, Windows 7 Pro 64bit, Screen resolution 1680 x 1050.

Aeternus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2016 19:44
I'm running build 1.13. It should be the latest version of the program, I only purchased it a couple days ago and steam updated it as soon as it finished the the main d/l.

I saved the two levels into a sub-folder by themselves when I first started. I compiled the standalone from the starting level (if that's what you mean by building from the starting level).
PM
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2016 21:44
You should not have to save anything other then the map files after you run them in test game once and save the map level afterwards.

When you build the standalone from the file menu. the program should copy over all the files to the:
C:\Users\YourProfile\Documents\Game Guru Files\My Games in a folder the name of your first level.

Inside that check in the mapbanks folder to see if both maps are there.

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s), 8gb RAM, Nvidia gtx660, Windows 7 Pro 64bit, Screen resolution 1680 x 1050.

DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Here's a tutorial I did awhile back.

There's also a mention of this in my latest kill the boss video on my channel. There was a bug which caused this, but it was fixed at the time, so not sure why it isn't working for you. It was working fine when I did my last video about a week ago, which I did test in standalone mode as well.

SPECS: Q6600 CPU. Nvidia 660GTX. 8 Gig Memory. Win 7.
Aeternus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2016 00:12
DVader, that's actually the video I first found and followed to try this. When it wasn't working for me I found this video: https://youtu.be/PiU9xhE5jsk to see if it was any different. I get the correct messages when I run the two levels in test mode, but it just keeps reloading the same level when I run the standalone.

Pirate Myke, I checked the mapbanks folder of the standalone in ...\MyGames, and both level maps a present.
PM
Aeternus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2016 01:07
Well I finally figured it out completely by accident, though the problem was actually an odd one that seems like a flaw in the system to me (and one I can't understand).

GG wants to save all levels to: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Game Guru\Files\mapbank, which is where all the demo game fpm files are saved. I created a subfolder in there that I called Tests, where I was putting all the different levels I was practicing in. Because this was my first attempt at something with more than one level I created another subfolder within Tests that I called Multiple. I saved the two levels I was using for my winzone testing into Multiple, within Tests, within the main mapbank folder.

When I gave it another try following DVader's video as mirror step-by-step as possible, I accidentally saved the files into the main mapbank directory this time... and i worked. I deleted the Standalone, copied the two levels into the Tests folder, compiled it, and it worked. Deleted it again and copied them into the Multiple folder. This time it just kept reloading the first level again.

Took a closer look at the standalone's mapbank folder and realized that the maps were saved under:
C:\Users\Owner\Documents\Game Guru Files\My Games\test1\Files\mapbank\Tests\Multiple
instead of :
C:\Users\Owner\Documents\Game Guru Files\My Games\test1\Files\mapbank

Tried it saving under:
C:\Users\Owner\Documents\Game Guru Files\My Games\test1\Files\mapbank\Tests

Still worked

Apparently as soon as the maps I'm working on are saved more than 1 directory away from \mapbank, the program can't seem to find any level but the first
PM
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Glad my video helped. It's always useful to watch someone else go through it, to see what you did differently to break it Obviously GG expects to find it's maps inside the mapbank folder and hasn't been coded to check nested sub directories.

Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 28th May 2016 17:51 Edited at: 28th May 2016 17:52
GG standalone doesn't like multiple folder structures, save the maps either in the mapbank or one folder level up, no more.

Edit: Just noticed you found this out yourself, note to self: read threads before answering!

i7, NV960 4GB, 16GB memory, 2x 4TB Hybrid, Win10.
i5 , AMD 6770 1GB, 8GB memory, 512GB Generic SATAIII + 2TB Seagate Baracuda SATAIII, Win7.
i3, Radeon integrated graphics, 4GB memory, 512gB Generic SATAII, Win8.1.
Q6600, Intel integrated graphics, 2GB memory, 180GB Generic SATAII, WinXP.
Aeternus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2016 02:31
I kinda feel like this should be stated clearly in some of the getting started videos.

DVader, I've watched a number of your videos. I've seen some of your threads on here and didn't realize you were RetroGamerBloke. Your channel is awesome!!!

Thanks to everyone that offered their help. This was my first time posting to the forum, and I was thrilled with how quickly people jumped in to help out!
PM
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks! Always nice to hear someone likes the channel. Don't hesitate to ask if there are any tutorials you would like to see. If I can do it I will do my best to oblige!

I think you will find these forums very friendly. I have been a TGC customer since about 2000 and have always found the forums full of people willing to share the black arts of game dev I can't think of any other forums for other products that are better or even close to as friendly in general.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-14 21:40:01
Your offset time is: 2024-05-14 21:40:01