Showcase / SALUTE TO THE ORIGINAL ADVENTURE - entry on Game Jolt needs your support...

Author
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2016 18:55 Edited at: 25th May 2016 19:03

SALUTE TO THE ORIGINAL ADVENTURE

By Phil Sadler (SounDesign)

Created as an entry in the GameJolt Adventure Game Contest, this small set plays on the theme from one of the first (maybe THE first) text adventure games, where you start outside the well-house.

It doesn’t just follow that original script, rather playing around in multiple parallel universes, jumping from location to location (apologies for the jump graphics, need time to make something prettier), and often ‘re-modelling’ the original text into a play on words, or other conceptual twist.

More images (and larger) at the GameJolt website (link below...)

Created in 2 weeks, it is now (May 22 2016)up for voting for the next month, so please vote to support it...

Salute to The Original Adventure (S2TOA)
http://gamejolt.com/games/salute-2-the-original-adventure-contest-entry/149873

A selection of images and the download is available too...

Gotta say thanks:
• To my family for putting up with the stress of production in such a short time, especially with some of the troublesome scripts, then the upload process (aaaagh!)
• To Game Guru for making this possible in the first place.
• To Smallg, Mookosh, and others in the forums (forii????) without whom I could never have learnt enough to edit scripts to achieve the various requirements
• To the original creators of The Original Adventure for building the foundation for what we see today!!

Please help by checking it out and hopefully giving it a coupla points in the voting!!!

Cheers for now

Phil
info@4m-multimedia.com

More images at:
www.4m-multimedia.com
PM
Disturbing 13
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2016 23:39
Greetings! Played your game or at least I tried. I'm not sure if I achieved anything. Very interesting concept though and kudos for doing something new and different! I see you have lots of stuff going on in it but I'm not sure if I played it correctly? I got to the 'hole of the mountain king' and just kept dying no matter where I jumped in at. Not sure if I didn't understand what to do or if something was missing in the hole (like a level warp before hitting bottom). I'd give that a thorough test. I do think in some iterations of the levels you need some invisible walls near the 'breakneck valley' prompt as I just kinda skipped over it and saw the inner machinations of your level design. Other than that, very cool concept!
Best,
Disturbing13
SounDesign
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for the feedback!

The Hole DOES have a platform, which only spawns when you jump. You have to 'step back' take a running jump, and it spawns and you jump to another 'lobby'. But you do have to jump 'in line' with the starting point. I do wonder also if a different spec PC might take too long to spawn the platform thus never actually 'saving' the player. I KNOW where to jump and usually only make it about 1 in 3 so yeah it probably is a bit 'vicious'.

With more time to create I would probably have done my usual 'surround the playing area with no-go zones' but just wasn't enough time. And whilst in a complete game I think the achievement thing would have been more, er, complete, and more of the 'hidy holes' would have offered more hidden objects etc. which would have linked up into a meaningful achievement table.

Principal aim was to (surprisingly ) Salute the Original Adventure, whilst injecting some fresh twists (throw the bird at the giant green snake??? Black Rod & Rusty Starr???) and generally having fun. Must admit I spent way too much time trying and testing new gimmicks, but they'll come in handy in the real project.

Biggest fail??? Forgot to insert the phrase 'nothing happens'!!!! So lovingly recorded and scribbled in my notes, and yet, forgotten when it came to execution time. Aaaaagh! And for some reason, the dwarf spaceman by the block in the crater, works fine in the test mode, but doesn't make it through to the standalone game - tried making a custom character as well as simple tweaking the fpe of the 'original spaceman'.

Did you tag the dictator? Because if so I'm afraid I will have to authorise your deletion from the sands of time.....

Question is, how much more fun could one have had if they had given us 4 weeks???? Hmmmm. cheers for now
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 01:57:56
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 01:57:56