Free Models and Media / Star wars cantina

Author
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2016 10:24 Edited at: 19th May 2016 10:44
Just to see if it was possible i imported Naboo's cantina from my old starwars galaxies disk this morning although its not textured (ill have to dig for the texture file) its importing ok, now for the ships and creatures all this is open source atm so i presume you could use it in your own games just not commercially (you'll have to check) but i'll see if i can get the textures on and ask if its ok to post. then im looking for the sabers lol Edit : the sabers were rubbish i think i could do better myself :/

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 19th May 2016 10:41 Edited at: 19th May 2016 10:52
Simple rule with posting models that I go by:

If it's not yours, regardless of whether it is free/open source, or not, then don't post it unless you specifically have permission from the owner.

Free and open source models doesn't mean you can do what you like with them, they are usually for personal use only unless they have a specific license that says otherwise, that means they cannot be distributed or sold without permission.

That's why the SWG EMU's and the various WOW EMU's don't supply you with a client, you have to own the original disks and download their launcher to be able to play on the EMU's, that way they're only supplying their own code to run assets you already own, but if they supplied the client or any part, including the models, textures, audio etc they would be distributing copyrighted material and breaking the law, and would be shut down by SOE (or whatever they call themselves now), or Blizzard etc.

That's actually the only reason SWGEMU has lasted as long as it has, because they're not actually distributing any copyrighted material, they're just providing code and a sever t use the material you have already paid to own the rights to use.

Edit: As far as i'm aware it's only the SWG server source code that has been released to open source, no the client nor the media that comes with the client, you still have to own the original disks to play on a server.

i7, NV960 4GB, 16GB memory, 2x 4TB Hybrid, Win10.
i5 , AMD 6770 1GB, 8GB memory, 512GB Generic SATAIII + 2TB Seagate Baracuda SATAIII, Win7.
i3, Radeon integrated graphics, 4GB memory, 512gB Generic SATAII, Win8.1.
Q6600, Intel integrated graphics, 2GB memory, 180GB Generic SATAII, WinXP.
Honkeyboy
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2016 10:48 Edited at: 19th May 2016 10:49
Aye Belidos , tbh m8 looking through them it would be quicker to make your own as apposed to cobbling together the amount of files they use for 1 model anyway it was just a bit of fun to see if it could be done and after loading the sabers up in my editor i could do much better (they are old models) and the vehicles i would just do from a picture. I still play the EMU from time to time
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2016 10:56 Edited at: 19th May 2016 11:00
Yeah I had a play around with them myself a while back, (I think it was you I showed some pictures of what I had ripped wasn't it?) I gave up in the end because the models were in so many little pieces and the system they used to put them together was not very logical, and it did seem to be easier just to make my own from scratch.

After digging through the models from SWG I can now see why they had rubberbanding issues when there were lots of player houses about, those models are really badly made, way more poly's than needed and so many overlapping and loose meshes, shockingly poor work for such a large developer.

i5 , AMD 6770 1GB, 8GB memory, 512GB Generic SATAIII + 2TB Seagate Baracuda SATAIII, Win7.
Honkeyboy
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2016 11:12 Edited at: 19th May 2016 11:31
Ahh thats what caused the rubber banding was it? that was a nightmare just had a quick 5 min bash at replicating it without the million parts lol i'll spend an hour on it later and make a real nice one ( yes we did have a chat about them before) think i could make some nice simple ones now ive got used to Anim8or , was just wandering past the cantina and spotted this on the floor " I wonder?" lol, ive got them both side by side and tbh they are just blocks welded together so wouldnt be hard to replicate it and of course with 10x less parts when grouped (just spotted also sooo many texture files per building ...madness)

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2016 10:59
Have you seen these yet?

Honkeyboy
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2016 19:40
Yeah seen those m8, love the starwars idea but the legalities are scary lol so im changing it abit lol
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
Recently Online
Quote: "Yeah seen those m8, love the starwars idea but the legalities are scary lol so im changing it abit lol "

All ok for a tribute video .... But could never release .... I wouldn't mind if I was being taken to court by the mighty George Lucas ..
But I'm not risking Micky Mouse getting me in there
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
Honkeyboy
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2016 15:22
lol
Intel i5 4950 3.3ghz
8gb Ram
Intel HD 4600

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 01:46:20