Feature Creep / Degrees circle - An easier way to edit already in-scene entities

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2016 20:43
Hello.

First day on the forums, already suggesting stuff! I was doing some work in the editor, getting familiar with it and the likes, and I noticed that when you want to edit an entity in world (Free view mode) there isn't any clues on what you're really rotating something to or scale something to. I imagine, having it, would allow for a more precise way of editing things, and allows you to remember on how much degrees your put that piece on, so you can maybe continue on that same angle instead of fiddling with it and it looking slightly out of place.

Something like this (Yeah - Secondlife. Get over it! )

Be a yardstick of quality. Some people aren't used to an environment where excellence is expected.
PM
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
personally if the widget even worked correctly in free flight mode i would be happy - most of the time it just makes the entity get really distorted/out of place at the slightest touch and then other times it works fine without logic as far as i can tell - but yes, some sort of visual value would be nice (even better if we could simply input the values we desire!)
lua guide for GG
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=398177770
windows 10
i5 @4ghz, 8gb ram, AMD R9 200 series , directx 11
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 9th May 2016 09:06
I agree it would be great to have a tool that allows us to see exactly what angle and position an object is.

However, as smallg says, I would be just as happy just to have the current widget working better.

At the moment it can e a little hit and miss when moving objects, it's usually fine when your a good distance from the object, it's usually best in overhead view at a distance, however the closer you get to the object the more erratic it behaves.

Sometimes I have to get in close to position a small object just right and i'll just click the arrow without moving and the object will shoot off half way across the map, which is extremely annoying and I've shut gameguru down in frustration a few times because of it.

How close to the object you are is definitely a factor in its erratic behaviour, at least it is for me.

I'd also like to see some improvements to the widget controls, such as adding a modifier to the movement speed of the widget, just like we can press shift to speed up the camera movement and ctrl to slow down the camera movement I would like to see this applied to the widget too so we can better refine the positioning of object.

i7, NV960 4GB, 16GB memory, 2x 4TB Hybrid, Win10.
i5 , AMD 6770 1GB, 8GB memory, 512GB Generic SATAIII + 2TB Seagate Baracuda SATAIII, Win7.
i3, Radeon integrated graphics, 4GB memory, 512gB Generic SATAII, Win8.1.
Q6600, Intel integrated graphics, 2GB memory, 180GB Generic SATAII, WinXP.
OldFlak
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2016 08:02
Yeah visual indicators are always the way to go, and I have to agree - the widget is mostly annoying to use, especially when trying to be a little more precise in placing items.

I know the idea is for easy game creation - but the mouse is not the easiest thing when precision of any degree is required - and even novice users want more control eventually - there needs to be an option to add exact values, which in turn will make it much easier to create awesome levels.

Reliquia....
Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-4160 @ 3,60GHz. 8GB Ram. NVidia GeForce GTX 750. Acer 24" Monitors x 2 @ 1920 x 1080. Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 12:38:49
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 12:38:49