Feature Creep / GTK Radiant Tools Would Put GG on the top.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2016 00:46
I am not sure how many of you know what GTK Radiant is, but it's a level creator that uses simple keyboard commands, dragging of the mouse, and a grid to make pretty much any thing you want in a level. It closer to a modeling program but 96% easier to learn. You can learn how to construct a building in GTK Radiant in less then 15 mins. So you really do got full control over how your levels will look, what you need for buildings and simple objects can be created to your liking, and you get full control of texturing.

So if GTK Radiant is not a model program, then what is it ?, It's a map / level creator for ID game engine for video games such as Quake3, DOOM3, SoF2, All Call of Duty games up to Modern Warfare (CoD4), ect...

If GameGuru could incorporate even an editor close to what GTK Radiant can do, I'd be set, I wouldn't need building models as I be able to make full houses and buildings in detail like I use to when mapping for Call of Duty. And I think the community would love it as they would be able to do things that before they had to ask model designers to do.

(I think of it as drawing as it feels like that to use this tool)

Make the best of it, GTK Radiant is now open source which means their is hope of having these features if GameGuru wanted to look into it.

http://icculus.org/gtkradiant/

And a Video of someone making a level for Quake in GTK Radiant and then exporting it to Unity (Which is new to me).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fy4eqvMLbvg

Would love to be able to have these features or to even be able to import .map files into GG so I could create levels like I use too.
PM
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 20th Apr 2016 09:21
They're already doing something like this, next up on the feature list for them to work on is an easy building creator, we don't know exactly how it will be designed yet, but my guess it will be a wysiwyg editor that contains multiple sections of wall, floor, ceiling, roof, window, door etc that you can fit together to build your own navigable buildings in gameguru.

i7, NV960 4GB, 16GB memory, 2x 4TB Hybrid, Win10.
i5 , AMD 6770 1GB, 8GB memory, 512GB Generic SATAIII + 2TB Seagate Baracuda SATAIII, Win7.
i3, Radeon integrated graphics, 4GB memory, 512gB Generic SATAII, Win8.1.
Q6600, Intel integrated graphics, 2GB memory, 180GB Generic SATAII, WinXP.
Elochai
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2016 20:15 Edited at: 20th Apr 2016 20:17
Quote: "They're already doing something like this, next up on the feature list for them to work on is an easy building creator, we don't know exactly how it will be designed yet, but my guess it will be a wysiwyg editor that contains multiple sections of wall, floor, ceiling, roof, window, door etc that you can fit together to build your own navigable buildings in gameguru."

From what I read so far, I feel it just gonna be a cookie cutter more then a creation tool.

This is why I suggested GTK Radiant features which is a full creator that allows you to build pretty much anything you like without having to learn modeling.

I do hope the building editor will be good, but knowing what can be done in GTK Radiant for creating full levels and that it open source just seems more hopeful. If GG looked into this and added it in, well there be no limit to what the user can create.

Here a map a buddy of mine made in GTK Radiant back in CoD:UO days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7GqYzefFQE#t=34

To do that much work and detail without the complexity of learning a modeling program would be a major asset.

He got a full website of levels he made using GTK Radiant if you want to view the possibility's. Just thinking of the "What if GG added this" makes my mind race with what I could make and create for games.

http://www.users.on.net/~gdenatris/cod/cod.html
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2016 23:49 Edited at: 27th Jun 2016 11:33
Blimey only just found this thread must have missed it ...
Way back I used to make maps with GTK for Raven Software's " Star Trek Elite force "

Here's a preview of what I never released ...I still play them now and again
If I could use GTK with GG then ye it would be great but I think Lee's on a different track now

The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 08:29:48
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 08:29:48