Product Chat / guru needs another surface light Lee

Author
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2016 14:01
Guru surface light uses full shader which does not fall under the ambience lighting. in the one pic I turn the ambience down and up where the surface light does not hit the character which is the shady area of the level since the surface light only hits from one angle of the levlel. so instead of the shady area using ambience to control the shady area of lighting I would like for guru to have two surface lights. one for the sun and the other for use in the shady area of the level. this way the characters and other objects are not using ambience for the lighting and have that ugly non shader basic look or to force you to turn down the ambience to get that too dark look. as you can see in my pics to compare the use of ambience and surface light it would make guru scene look way better. this would be without the use of DX11 and could just change this in DX9 where guru is now. I don't think this can take much time to do because it's just a change of the shader system and how it works. so it would be nice to have two surface light instead of one this way we don't have to use ambience or depend on the use of it and avoid getting that non shader look or having to turn down the lighting to get that ugly too dark look as if we are trying to hide something in the shadows or shady area. this is not using lightmap.
more than what meets the eye.Welcome to SciFi Summer

Windows 7 home premium 64bit gtx770 sc acx 2gb gpu boost 2.0

Attachments

Login to view attachments
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2016 09:32
The problem with adding a fixed secondary light is the shader performance cost. That said, I have not run any profiling on what that cost might be. Do you have an idea how you would represent this extra lighting in the TAB TAB panels, and whether the light is a directional or point light, and how to place and orient the direction of said light. All these things would need to be known before we could think about implementing it.
PC SPECS: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit, Intel Core i7-5930K (PASSMARK:13645), NVIDIA Geforce GTX 980 GPU (PASSMARK:9762) , 32GB RAM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-06-17 01:17:39
Your offset time is: 2024-06-17 01:17:39