Work In Progress / A Tall Story

Author
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2016 22:39 Edited at: 13th Apr 2016 23:01
I took a break today after work from the sci fi stuff to bring to life a mod I made for the Arura engine if that's spelled correctly lol (long time ago) those of you that played Neverwinter Nights might remember it, called A Tall Story, the story is about Hill giants and general big folk which after years of peace with humans suddenly go on a killing rampage....why is this happening? who could be behind it? well now is the time to find out! you an Archer born and bred trained by your Father as he was before you have just landed at The giant grove port and are about to embark on the adventure of your life video shows the starter port, Inn, Market place, Guild Hall, blacksmiths and old stables, not quite decided on weather yet and need a hill giant model Harry? (loving your ent btw) Gtox? more to follow p.s editable signs? anyone point me in the right direction e.g Inn, Blacksmith, Guildhall etc etc thx

Honkeyboy
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2016 22:22
I wonder where the ship would take us today? Map 12 A Tall Story

Honkeyboy
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2016 17:24 Edited at: 25th May 2016 17:58
Well ive been hard at this one and now have 6 ports 1 in each land, each land now has 2-3 levels to complete and each level has 2-3 instances, the story goes so far. After the death of a relative you are gifted a ship and a small crew which you soon set to sea in search of adventure. you can choose any of the areas to start as the difficulty increases the deeper you go, monsters include orcs,goblins, giants, snakes, spiders, wyvern, dragons and many more to fight, day and night system, exp system, shops selling heals, weapons with more to come ( you may want to forward the loading levels as level 1 takes a while, still trying to sort out why) ive only shown the ports as the average level takes around an hour or more to run. Next hopefully to come instanced sea battles when you leave port there is a 50% chance of an encounter leading to a sea battle see pic

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Gtox
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2016 12:40
Nice work, Honkeyboy - it's really starting to take shape.
Honkeyboy
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2016 15:15
Thanks Gtox very time consuming now the level numbers and instances are increasing
Ertlov
GameGuru BOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2016 16:28
Really cool work, I am curious how the sea battles will turn out!

Just a small tipp: Increase the timer in the door scripts to turn the collision off AFTER ist has been opened, this prevents the "running through yet unopened door" effect!
AMD FX 8Core @ 4GHZ - 16 GB DDR4 - 2xRadeon7950 - Windows 7 Ultimate
Honkeyboy
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2016 23:37 Edited at: 26th May 2016 23:49
thanks for that Ertlov will have a look at that m8 ty the levels are actually just about complete i just didnt have the time to show them as they take along time to run through or play = even longer but i will vid 1 level and the type of encounters you meet = most of the fantasy characters e.g orcs, skellies etc etc and giants and now wyverns and dragon bosses , you can only vid so much but im up to about 20+hours of gameplay now sea battles will maybe increase that to 30-40 we'll see
Ertlov
GameGuru BOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2016 13:39
A behemoth of a GG game! How long have you been working on it total, includign planning and pre-production?
AMD FX 8Core @ 4GHZ - 16 GB DDR4 - 2xRadeon7950 - Windows 7 Ultimate
Honkeyboy
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2016 21:28
To be honest Ertlov i dont plan really this particular one was a mod i made with biowares aurora engine along time back, similar with dropzone 2150 what i tend to do do is map like mad and then the idea's tends to pop in there, but i too have problems im rubbish at scripting atm was better at c++ tbh, and im only just getting the hang of modeling. If however i have the models and scripts i'll happily roll out 20 levels in a week or so the other things hold me up. Ive been lucky in that smallg, belidos, Myke and the rest of the guys here have been kind enough to help me when im stuck as you can appreciate im 1 man (maybe on a mission ) and have now rolled up 1000 hours or so even though it starts a little project it always ends up getting bigger and ive yet to do my post apoc one and maybe just a social one when i see enough to do it. Anyways " A Tall Story " now has dragon boss encounters ive edited Harry's dragons and now have green (breathes Acid) Ice or Blue (breathes cold) Red (fire) and added tonight The Black Dragon (breathes lighning) working on gold and chromatic next.
So its all fun as you can see and hopefully i'll be able to get a nice game out there that shows GG's potential

Attachments

Honkeyboy
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2016 20:18
With the sheer excellence of smallg's scripting "A Tall story" presents ship encounters pt1 every time you leave port you have a 50/50 chance of encountering 1-3 ships that want you dead so load up those cannons and defend yourselves!

Isagabe
Years of Service
User Offline
very cool.
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2016 17:45
I remember dabbling in the aurora engine back in the day with that NWN Editor I remember it being pretty powerful and creating weapons and characters was very fun.

Your game looks good and already very large. I believe there is a lot of potential here with how you bring your ideas to live. Of course, its still very rough around the edges but if you put in the time to polish everything this might end up terrific.

Small advice I could give is that you might want to work a little on the terrain. These super flat planes look odd. Also neat to see some of my old models in use, I almost forgot about that fire cauldron beneath the statue

-Wolf

"When I contradict myself, I am telling the truth"
"absurdity has become necessity"
Honkeyboy
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2016 22:29 Edited at: 6th Jun 2016 22:42
lol Yeah Wolf i use a few of yours nice models and ty for the feedback as with dropzone i do struggle a bit with getting the terrain right because they are large open planes, but im working on it as i go its harder with really large levels to get that balance, if i do any in the future im edging toward smaller faster levels, im pretty much nearly at the done but will need a few updates part, ive just completed the last level and the silver dragon, so now working on titles, and then will be looking for some advice how to pack these up properly. Yeah Wolf as to the aurora engine it was a pretty powerful editor in its day could make some really cool mods with it quite graphicly cool as well considering how old it is (still think its around but what its used for now i have no idea) :/ Anyway thanks all for your input and comments.
lordjulian
Years of Service
User Offline
I've tried leaving port many times.... and vodka, wine and beer!

Anyway, great work! I loved the rain effect (visual and sound). Also, that statue looks very dramatic.
Julian
PM
Honkeyboy
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2016 21:44
Looks even more dramatic at night which is the other thing that's hard to find a "nice" balance e.g skybox, lighting but it does work if you persevere, would be really nice if we could have a medieval torch instead of the flashlight as that's kinda odd on these maps so what i've done is try to use lighting so as you don't need any player light. Time will tell tho, now i have the grass back in the levels do look a lot better but it tends to slow the fps a little (although saying that since the update it has'nt been that bad). I would say my only gripe atm is with big levels especially land based ones there's a lot of entities e.g one of mine has about 2000 entities on it and so the loading times become horribly long. So it'd be a really nice idea if we could add music and maybe some visuals to not have to do the old o/s setup status bar watching thing :/
Honkeyboy
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2016 22:08
My first title screen attempt

Attachments

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 23:42:05
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 23:42:05