Product Chat / Thanks for listening

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey i just want to give credit when it's due! Thanks a lot for the .FBX format being available for import in the next update

I have some noob questions though

1. What makes the FBX a better format ?
2. Will it load multiple textures automatically ?
PM
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2016 22:35
It is a very complete format with lots of different options for different programs to interchange model information.
Is it any better then x file, right now in the betas there are a lot of issues coming from different programs giving it a hit or miss results when trying to import different flavors of FBX into the editor.

It will need to be ironed out for sure, as very little people use Maya in this engine.

The success of multi textures will require a shader that will be able to render each texture and then be able to pass that info to the renderer. So no quarantine this will make multi textured models easier to deal with or render proper.
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s), 8gb RAM, Nvidia gtx660, Windows 7 Pro 64bit, Screen resolution 1680 x 1050.

Jerry Tremble
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2016 01:15
I remember working with DBPro for the first time. (2003-2004) At the time, at least for me, getting a model into Directx format that would work in DBPro was a nightmare! It was hit or miss from whatever program I was using. It must have taken me a few years just figuring out a pipeline that worked for me every single time with the software I had. FBX between programs isn't any better in that respect, as there are updates to the format pretty much annually, and they don't always get along with each other. FBX does seem to be a more common export option, though, so at least there's that!
MAME Cab PC: i7 4770@3.4Ghz (passmark 9945), 12GB RAM, Win 10/64, GeForce GTX645 (passmark 1898); Shiny new laptop: i7 4800MQ@2.7Ghz (passmark 8586), 16GB RAM, Win 10/64, GeForce GTX870M (passmark 3598); Old laptop: i5@2.3Ghz, 8GB RAM, Win 7/64, Intel 3000 graphics
PM
Defy
Years of Service
User Offline
Agree with your comments, FBX is a great addition.

Also just to add, Thanks Lee for looking into the AI, I was going to post on the forums what you mentioned elsewhere a week or so ago about the AI glitch since a recent update. However I know many people are looking forward to this fix/adjustment. So thank you for looking into it.
Define R4, i7, 8g, R7 360
PM
science boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2016 17:31
I have no problems with x. Frag sorts out my conversions. I think the demand for the different formats is more they want to buy models and have them work straight away than a better format. And so this is why there is a huge demand for other model format. As in turbosquid is pretty slim on x format. So this is a huge reason and probably from other engine stores too. I can't see much need for other formats than that. But if it gets tgc more customers then good. It means more work things
an unquenchable thirst for knowledge of game creation!!!
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2016 19:40
FBX is only for the weak.

.... but seriously: Its the current industry standart format. I don't see any benefits, but then again my software and workflow is layed out to produce .x
"When I contradict myself, I am telling the truth"
"absurdity has become necessity"

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-06-17 04:10:11
Your offset time is: 2024-06-17 04:10:11