Feature Creep / Easy Entity Search

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
So like me you probably have 100's if not 1000's of entity's in you entity bank that sometimes makes it difficult, if not sometimes impossible to find a single specific item amongst the many 100's DLC items, plus the 100's more that have been downloaded from the store. I propose that a simple search directory be implemented within the entity bank with a simple search box. For example if I type 'Fence' into the search box, all my entities across my entire library will appear that have the word 'Fence'. I don't know if this been suggested already or hard it would be to add as a feature, but I thought I would just put it out there as something that would make it easier for users of Game Guru and to cement the idea further of the 'Easy Game Maker'.
PM
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
Recently Online
Posted: 7th Apr 2016 14:55 Edited at: 7th Apr 2016 14:56
Thank you for your suggestion. This has been talked about for a while now and has appeared in many threads.
But is not closer to making the light of day.

When the UI for the editor gets worked on this may find its place there.

Other then sorting them your self there is just no way to organize every purchase of free item you may get a hold of with the stock stuff.

Also moving this thread to Feature Creep.
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s), 8gb RAM, Nvidia gtx660, Windows 7 Pro 64bit, Screen resolution 1680 x 1050.

Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 20th Apr 2016 12:03 Edited at: 20th Apr 2016 12:04
As far as i'm concerned this is something that is super important (at least to me), one of the reasons I haven't started creating yet is because i' making my own models, not because there aren't models out there I can use, but because I can never find the darned things when i'm trying to build a level, so I've decided to plan out what I want to build and make all the models myself, it just feels easier than rooting around the editor looking for that model I saw a while ago, but can't remember where.

An idea i had was to have a line in the fpe file (or even a new file with the suffix .tag) of each model like below:

tag = tag1,tag2,tag3

Then have a basic search feature that looks for the tags in the fpe files.

Not an advanced search really, but it would be adequate for what most people need, and make things a lot easier for game creators.

Of course it means the tags would have to be created for existing models, but with it this way users could create their own tags to make their own search experience work better, so you could really just leave existing media without tags and let us add our own.

i7, NV960 4GB, 16GB memory, 2x 4TB Hybrid, Win10.
i5 , AMD 6770 1GB, 8GB memory, 512GB Generic SATAIII + 2TB Seagate Baracuda SATAIII, Win7.
i3, Radeon integrated graphics, 4GB memory, 512gB Generic SATAII, Win8.1.
Q6600, Intel integrated graphics, 2GB memory, 180GB Generic SATAII, WinXP.
yrkoon
Years of Service
User Offline
I have delved a bit into the "replaceentity" feature in order to be able to replace models/entities I don't personally own referenced in fpms another user sent me.

The outcome was a little tool that walks the .log file created by GG when referenced models are not found locally, stops at every such line and lets me search interactively in a list of "my" entities.

Currently, I simply enter a partial string (like "build" for "building") , getting a list output of all entities whose names contain "build". A single click shows me the corresponding .bmp, a double click takes over the required name parts into the replace file.

It would also be easy to put a database like sqlite behind it, so that arbitrary tags could be assigned to any entity by each user; this would make modifications to the existing structures inside GG unnecessary.

The search program could certainly run without having to use a log/replace file, all that would be needed were a means of communicating with a running GG (API Call, RFC or whatever) to tell GG to fetch the selected entity into the "Library" window. Since this is a VERY basic function, I would expect it to be very stable and robust for the forseeable future.

Lives of great men all remind us we may make our lives sublime
PM
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2016 05:53
I cannot express how difficult it is to build a complex map, without this feature....
Twitter - Teabone3 | Youtube - Teabone3 | Twitch - Teabone3

i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce GT 740
PartTimeCoder
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "(API Call, RFC or whatever) "

ooo we talking plugin API's here, now that would be awesome, be able to completely override the entity browser and/or make in editor tools like terrain texture changers, setup.ini editor and fpe tools ..... I'd be in heaven if GG could use plugins, thats all I would do lol
PM
yrkoon
Years of Service
User Offline
@PartTimeCoder
Yeah, I would be satisfied with a handfull of calls, doesn't necessarily have to be "everything to turn GG inside out";
(I don't think that the latter would be so stable).

I'd like to do things from external program(s) like :
* setting the editor window camera to a certain coordinate (x,y,z)
* removing an instance of an entity from the map
* adding externally selected entities to the library window
* setting top view
* performing landscape shaping (raise/lower)

... but I don't think it's going to happen, sadly.

PM
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2016 18:11 Edited at: 26th Apr 2016 18:11
I sometimes feel like we're able to delete instances from the map from the left panel, but it doesn't. I once spent hours trying to find one apple in my map to delete.
Twitter - Teabone3 | Youtube - Teabone3 | Twitch - Teabone3

i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce GT 740
yrkoon
Years of Service
User Offline
Teabone, if that had occurred in the last quarter of 2015, you should have used DEERHunter .

Amongst other things, it was also made for this
Ok, it couldn't DELETE then (I'm working on that in the new version),
but it showed exactly where any object is on the map, down to the numerical coordinates,
so you could go to the editor and delete it manually- thus, you should have been VERY quick with it, compared to hours. ).

PM
Amancham
Years of Service
User Offline
I only just started playing around with GG but the entitiy bank is the one off-putting feature for me. Don't get me wrong. I love that we can create and add our own entities and the shop is screaming "take my money" all over. But I'm a bit of an OCD case, when it comes to stuff like that. My computer is strictly structured and files are named a certain way to hold up to my standards of "easy to find" and "logically structured". All I want to do when I open GG is re-structure the order of the entity bank. *lol* I have already bought some stuff from the store and I own the DLCs and I love the stuff that is in each of those, but boy ... I have characters all over the place and rocks everywhere and buildings in all the different folders ... makes me itch

I would love a tag and search feature. Especially if the end-user could add the tags themselves or maybe download with the store-tags but then be able to re-tag the entity after downloading to fit to your own logic. This would help so much.
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-27 04:42:08
Your offset time is: 2024-04-27 04:42:08