Product Chat / Difficult to understand requests for Total Coding

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2016 07:37
I cannot understand why some of the forum members want to have 90% LUA, I thought that this software was the 'Easy Game Maker'.

I cannot understand why moving our characters above zero height is impossible, never used a game engine that couldn't, should have
been fixed a year ago.
PM
TazMan
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2016 12:51
Quote: "I cannot understand why some of the forum members want to have 90% LUA, I thought that this software was the 'Easy Game Maker'."

This is just up to the individual game maker. The engine itself is capable of making games with a lot less lua or even non if the game maker just want's to make a simple game.

Even if the game maker wants to make a game that is a little more complicated and use lua, there are a lot of lua scripts that are already created and ready for them to use for free, also there a lot of people here that are quite willing to give there help.
HP Pavilion Laptop, AMD A8-4555M APU with Radeon(tm) Graphics HD Graphics 1.6GHz, 8GB Memory, 64 Bit Operating System (Windows 10), 1 TB Hard Drive.

I've got something to say - It's better to burn out than fade away.
PartTimeCoder
Years of Service
User Offline
not 90%, 100% will suit me, and that would benefit both coders and non coders, for the coders it gives more flexibility and functionally to create cool and imaginative scripts for those that don't code to download for free from the forum, ask smallg if he wants to see a 100% Lua engine, I already know he will say "yes please", then look through your projects and see if your using a script written by smallg (I know I am) ..........

It would benefit us all, as a community

have to agree on the height issue tho, the AI stuff is quite low on the voting list I'd like to bump that right to the top
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: " the AI stuff is quite low on the voting list I'd like to bump that right to the top"

Low on the list ?
Its at number 2 ..... probably about right to coincide with the building editor

The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
PartTimeCoder
Years of Service
User Offline
wow that jumped, last time I looked it was about half way down the list with about 2k votes, its the logical next step after the building editor yea, which I'm also looking forward to seeing
PM
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I cannot understand why some of the forum members want to have 90% LUA, I thought that this software was the 'Easy Game Maker'."

GG is coded in C++ not Lua. Lua is just a language used for scripts within GG. The more commands within Lua we have, the more flexibility we have in GG. All the easy point and click stuff is basically the same as a script, just hidden from your sight. When Lee means to go 100% Lua he means all features will be converted to use the Lua engine rather than hard coded in C++. The engine will still be C++, just we have control of all the features from within Lua.

Making the Lua side of GG more complete is very important for anyone wanting to make anything remotely custom. In fact I hardly ever use built in scripts or anyone else's for that matter, I nearly always write them myself from scratch. Once the Lua commands are available then new features will be easily added by TGC for non scripters down the line. Plus, if most people who complain about Lua actually looked into it a bit and gave it a chance they might just be surprised at what they can do. Start simple and you may just learn something.

The Lua code is more for control over GG. Without it all our games will look exactly the same.

SPECS: Q6600 CPU. Nvidia 660GTX. 8 Gig Memory. Win 7.
3com
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2016 21:21
While keeping the two options, "easy game maker" and "put things more difficult but more enjoyable," we have the best of both worlds, and everyone happy.
As you can see, it is very easy to understand.

Without LUA, you just get AIs without core, simple statues with not life.
3com
Laptop: Lenovo - Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 1005M @ 1.90GHz

OS: Windows 10 (64) - Ram: 4 gb - Hd: 283 gb - Video card: Intel(R) HD Graphics

PM
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2016 20:35
You can place a character on a roof or high place using the RETURN key and then set that characters properties to ISIMMOBILE=Yes to gain height above the floor, but naturally it's only good for scenery or rocket firing enemies. As stated above, the multi-floor AI work is voted presently at number two so not long how to wait
PC SPECS: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit, Intel Core i7-5930K (PASSMARK:13645), NVIDIA Geforce GTX 980 GPU (PASSMARK:9762) , 32GB RAM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-28 22:57:05
Your offset time is: 2024-09-28 22:57:05