Product Chat / GG realtime shadows and shading could use some attention.

Author
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2016 21:31 Edited at: 30th Mar 2016 22:45
GG does not handle sloped roof shadows well. A shadow cast by a sloped roof overhang is treated as a non-connected dark band with the appearance that the light is somehow passing through the wall/roof connection. Is this a problem with my custom entities or is GG just lacking the ability to render shadows as I expect. Kind of defeats the attempt to create something believable.

This is not a case of a model not casting a shadow on its self (the screenshot shows it will). It is case of the shadow being cast is not an accurate representation of the shadow.
I have searched the forum for information on this problem to no avail!

Question... Will this problem be resolved in the near future? I feel guilty putting more models in the store that will not render to expectations.
This seems basic to me...

Windows 10,64 bit|AMD FX-6200 Six-core-3.80 Ghz |CPU PASSMARK 6,142 |Memory 10GB |NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 660 SC |GPU PASSMARK 4,114
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2016 11:51
Send me the entity and I will check out the shadow issue (email: lee@thegamecreators.com). Changing the shadow system is very controversial in that fixing one visual effect creates a new behaviour which another model/project might object to
PC SPECS: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit, Intel Core i7-5930K (PASSMARK:13645), NVIDIA Geforce GTX 980 GPU (PASSMARK:9762) , 32GB RAM

Stab in the Dark software
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2016 19:21
I am having a similar shadow problem on a building from the medieval pack.
In the screen shot you can see on the building in the back ground the shadow is jagged and distorted.
This is using real time lighting on high.
The coffee is lovely dark and deep,and I have code to write before I sleep.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2016 19:16
The real-time shadows are not terribly high quality, this was to ensure the shadow map resource was not too large for lower video memory machines and the performance did not suffer from huge off screen cascade rendering of the shadow maps. Maybe someone can have a look at the shadow shaders in GameGuru and let me know if you spot something we can do to address this jaggies issue. The only technique I know is to increase the sample points of the PCF technique, but this translates quite quickly into lower frame rates.
PC SPECS: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit, Intel Core i7-5930K (PASSMARK:13645), NVIDIA Geforce GTX 980 GPU (PASSMARK:9762) , 32GB RAM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-28 23:03:38
Your offset time is: 2024-09-28 23:03:38