Product Chat / I bet there is a simple way....

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2016 17:57
Hello,

I am in need of someone to point me to a tutorial or a quick explanation of how to place entities easier on something like a 2 story building's second floor.
Currently I am dabbling, I have seen a few videos on YouTube about level/creation, and its prob. something i missed in the basics.

currently I have to place say a table on the ground and then moved it and position it upstairs. Is there a simpler way?

Thanks.
Rick
PM
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2016 18:14 Edited at: 27th Mar 2016 21:22
Placing items on buildings with multiple floors can be a little tricky. Use the tab key to hide the roof and the mouse wheel to get it to show the floor you want (the cut off point will move up and down the model with the wheel). You may be able to use the enter key to get it to position your object on the floor you wish, but it may well possibly jump to either the top or bottom. If this is the case, the easiest way would be to add a place holder at the same height as your level and place objects on that. Deleting the place holder afterwards. Either inside where the floor is( easier to place objects, but may not work) or more likely just to the side of the actual building you want to decorate. When you have the items placed down you can lasso them and move them across into your building, they will keep their height automatically.

Hope that gives you some ideas to make it a little easier.

Edit - I forgot F9 mode (don't use it often), that may work better for you as long as you have made one of each object you wish to place beforehand.

SPECS: Q6600 CPU. Nvidia 660GTX. 8 Gig Memory. Win 7.
3com
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2016 18:45
Place objects in a close building always is a pain, but there is something I hate more than that; placing markers, like the lights, I've never get some light exactly where I want to, and it lays to me, when I think it is close to place I want to, it is really far in test mode, another thing I hate about, is them following me araund the map, so confuse me, I really do know where they are really placed; why the markers (even in marker mode) does not remain quiets in their position, so even if I'm in the other side of the map, I always know where they are, that might help for fine tune.

3com
Laptop: Lenovo - Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 1005M @ 1.90GHz

OS: Windows 10 (64) - Ram: 4 gb - Hd: 283 gb - Video card: Intel(R) HD Graphics

PM
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
I avoid lights at all times normally in GG. Too limited in real-time and baking, well we know how baking is at the moment. I think the light may work better in a more 3D representation as well to make placing more useful. I also avoid zones whenever possible, or at least leave them till pretty much last. I find they make it difficult to see the areas underneath properly. It would be nice to have some options in the menu to show or hide some of these things to make editing and tweaking a map easier.

SPECS: Q6600 CPU. Nvidia 660GTX. 8 Gig Memory. Win 7.
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2016 20:57 Edited at: 27th Mar 2016 20:58
I think GG needs a view windowed drop down option of what things to hide and show. The GECK and Creation Kit engines both have this and they are quite useful. You can hide lights or show lights or hide trigger shows or hide them. Additionally you can hide or show the skybox, fog, entities, markers and waypoints.
Twitter - Teabone3 | Youtube - Teabone3 | Twitch - Teabone3

i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce GT 740
.:glorifiednG:.
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2016 23:56
Thanks for the replies guys,

Sorry i have been away, I am not ignoring, just been tied up.

Will play around with it some more. Having fun with my limited knowledge I can only imagine the possibilities GG has.

Thanks again!

PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-06-17 01:04:46
Your offset time is: 2024-06-17 01:04:46