I was asked if I could make a driveable vehicle script and Bod kindly chopped the wheels off of one of his trucks to enable this. (I hope he doesn't mind that I cut that down to a single wheel!)
So where better to post the result (still a work in progress, see to do list below) in both video and usable form:
To try it out for yourself simply unmpack the zip file into the GG directory and load the truck021.fpm level.
WASD to drive, Q to switch view modes. E to leave vehicle, but only if you are stationary(ish).
1) Smooth out some bits, currently the vehicle reacts instantly to terrain bumps so it is a bit jerky.
2) Add a few camera tweaks, e.g. when turning move the camera slight in the direction of the turn, when reversing in 3rd person view reposition the camera looking backwards over the vehicle.
3) When leaving the vehicle reposition player next to the door.
4) Add collision checking for objects and steep terrain in direction of travel.
5) Add some sort of 'exclusion zone' mechanism so you can define areas that can't be driven into.
Possible improvements to this:
1) More models to play around with, the script should work with any 4 wheeled vehicle as long as the positioning offsets for wheels etc are altered to suit.
2) Have the steering wheel as a separate entity so it can be turned when steering from in-cab view.
Been there, done that, got all the T-Shirts!