Product Chat / Documentaton / WIKI or otherwise ...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I appreciate that the dev team is constantly coding away trying to improve GameGuru ... making it more stable, adding new and exicting features.

Having been a programmer myself, I also understand that creating documentation is not what makes a programmer's eyes light up ...

But I really wish that Lee & Co would take a few days to collect and assemble more documentation on GameGuru. Whether it is a WIKI or a simple PDF doesn't matter much, but it would eliminate the need to search for Information in different places. I understand that there is some documentation in the "docs" Directory ...

But if I take the FPE content as an example, I can find a post on the forum, where I can see a lot of "parameters" that appear to be possible. Some of them have a comment about the possible values, others do not (incl. the default value). But in all fairness, that seems to be lifted directly out of some code-file.

Please don't misunderstand ... I do not advocate that development efforts be disrupted for months just to have decent documentation, but I do believe that the community at large would benefit ...

Let's discuss ...

Cheers,
Fendrik
PM
MadLad Designs
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2016 14:21
May be it could be done by yourself? It's what I did when I created the Official Community Guide for FPS Creator.

Good Luck!
Check out my YouTube Gaming Channel: /user/MadLadDesigns
W7 Home 64-bit, Intel i5-3330 quad-core 3.20GHz, nVidia GTX660 2Gb, 8Gb ram
Fendrik
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "May be it could be done by yourself? It's what I did when I created the Official Community Guide for FPS Creator."

Certainly a possibility ... how did you get at the information you needed for the "Official Community Guide" ?

Cheers,
Frendrik
PM
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2016 16:44
by searching thru the posts in the forum. That was a great guide with lots of great examples in it.

This was tried about 2 years ago, then the server that this Wiki was on wanted to charge money for the space.

Not sure what the actual cost is, if any to host such a thing, but I am sure some fees are required.

The Steam guide section for the Game guru threads are a good place to start up something like this.
http://steamcommunity.com/app/266310/#scrollTop=0

You could set some collaborators of users that would wish to contribute. That way info can be pm'd or emailed to those users then can be added to the Wiki. Keeping a sense of correctness and some spell checking for the info posted.

This is already space that is provided free on a server for the Game Guru account.
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s), 8gb RAM, Nvidia gtx660, Windows 7 Pro 64bit, Screen resolution 1680 x 1050.

MadLad Designs
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2016 17:43
Fendrik wrote: " Certainly a possibility ... how did you get at the information you needed for the "Official Community Guide" ?"

Pirate Myke wrote: "by searching thru the posts in the forum. That was a great guide with lots of great examples in it."

Yup, that's how I did it. It will take a while but at least you'll have everything in one place.
Check out my YouTube Gaming Channel: /user/MadLadDesigns
W7 Home 64-bit, Intel i5-3330 quad-core 3.20GHz, nVidia GTX660 2Gb, 8Gb ram
3com
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2016 20:12
Quote: "Yup, that's how I did it. It will take a while but at least you'll have everything in one place."

And I've got good info thanks of that!, Thanks MadLad Designs.

Documentation goes better for me, even you can print that info to have on hand.

3com
Laptop: Lenovo - Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 1005M @ 1.90GHz

OS: Windows 10 (64) - Ram: 4 gb - Hd: 283 gb - Video card: Intel(R) HD Graphics

PM
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2016 20:59 Edited at: 14th Mar 2016 21:00
Starting one a while back: http://gameguru.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

But I think it be best if TGC actually had one hosted on their server. This way they can better manage the content and admin it. The community itself would do all the content development work.
Twitter - Teabone3 | Youtube - Teabone3 | Twitch - Teabone3

i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce GT 740
AuShadow
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2016 10:18
Yes I also made a wiki a while back, but yeah when they wanted to charge money for it and I was struggling to find others to help contribute to it the whole idea sort of got left behind for me then.
PC Specs: Windows 10 home 64-bit, Amd 7900 3gb DDR5 graphics, 8gb DDR3 Ram, Intel i7 3.4ghz
Fendrik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2016 23:05 Edited at: 24th Mar 2016 16:04
I can host the Wiki on my own domain ... I've installed MediaWiki, so it's basically ready to go ...

http://gg-wiki.infoweb-online.eu.

But as of right now, there is no content yet ...

I am willing to commit to at least 36 months of availability, if there is any interest on the side of the community ...

Just let me know ...

Cheers,
Fendrik
PM
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2016 04:34
PM'd you some info for the Wiki.

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s), 8gb RAM, Nvidia gtx660, Windows 7 Pro 64bit, Screen resolution 1680 x 1050.

Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 23rd Mar 2016 08:53
Quote: "I can host the Wiki on my own domain ... I've installed MediaWiki, so it's basically ready to go ... http://gg-wiki.infoweb-online.eu.
But as of right now, there is no content yet ...

I am willing to commit to at least 36 months of availability, if there is any interest on the side of the community ...

Just let me know ...

Cheers,
Fendrik"

You beat me to it, I've had a WikaWiki installed on my server (http://guruwiki.swgrp.co.uk) for a couple of days and was trying to find time to learn more about it before posting it up here LOL.

i7, NV960 4GB, 16GB memory, 2x 4TB Hybrid, Win10.
i5 , AMD 6770 1GB, 8GB memory, 512GB Generic SATAIII + 2TB Seagate Baracuda SATAIII, Win7.
i3, Radeon integrated graphics, 4GB memory, 512gB Generic SATAII, Win8.1.
Q6600, Intel integrated graphics, 2GB memory, 180GB Generic SATAII, WinXP.
Fendrik
Years of Service
User Offline
@Belidos: I've sent you a PM ... let's coordinate our efforts, no need to do redundant work

Cheers,
Fendrik
PM
Fendrik
Years of Service
User Offline
@ALL:

Pirate Myke sent me some stuff to include and Belidos showed interest in the Wiki ...

But other than that, there was no response or indication that this would be of use to anyone.

So should I gather from this that there is no general interest in having a GG Wiki ?

Go ahead and let me know your thoughts on this ...

Cheers,
Fendrik
PM
BadGibbon
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi Fendrik

I think everybody both novice and experienced would undoubtedly benefit from such an enterprise, but especially those just starting out with GameGuru. The newcomer wont realise just how much they need it as yet. And I for one hope you get enough interest for you to feel empowered to push ahead! To gather and build up information and then to have it all in one place is vital!

Please go ahead, I'm sure once it gets going, it will only gather pace and in a very short time we will wonder how we ever got on with out it!

All the best...

BadGibbon

PM
The Next
TGC Web Engineer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2016 21:37 Edited at: 28th Mar 2016 21:41
Hosting wise it is not hard to TGC to host a wiki/docmentation, we have capacity, the issue is keeping it up to date with all the software changes that would be made, Lee is the only one working on GG directly and he can't afford to spend time updating a wiki after every update and the rest of the team are just as busy with their tasks.

If the team were going to recommend a wiki/documentation for users it would need to be hosted on our network but we would appreciate some help keeping it updated.
Windows 7 Pro, Intel i7 3.8 GHz (Passmark: 9021), 16GB DDR3, NVIDIA GTX 780 4GB Superclocked (Passmark: 8056)
PM
Fendrik
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "If the team were going to recommend a wiki/documentation for users it would need to be hosted on our network but we would appreciate some help keeping it updated."

Clearly that would be my preference as well ... and I agree that it would require community participation in order to be worthwhile ...

So who will make the necessary decision to host the Wiki at TGC ? I presume that Lee would make that call, correct ?

Cheers,
Fendrik
PM
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2016 06:50
I wouldn't worry about the wiki being kept up to date. Whole point of a wiki is for communities to take that role and contribute and update.
Twitter - Teabone3 | Youtube - Teabone3 | Twitch - Teabone3

i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce GT 740

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-28 23:04:15
Your offset time is: 2024-09-28 23:04:15