Product Chat / Bulletwounds

Author
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2016 16:40
In games like Soldier of fortune, half life 2 etc. When you shoot a enemy, bulletwounds appear on the textures where they got hit, how do they manage to pull this off? Is it multiple textures, or added decals? Can this be created in Gameguru?

Visit our FB site and like
https://www.facebook.com/crowhillstudiosofficial
Disturbing 13
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2016 18:50
This is actually a feature that we had in FPSC. It was done with decals. Not sure when they plan to put it in GG.

HarryWever
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2016 19:13
it was cool in fpsc
If you shot at the wall you saw the decals...
love to see that coming back

Harry
Harry
When nothing goes right, go left
PM
Stab in the Dark software
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2016 19:34
What no decals! WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY
The coffee is lovely dark and deep,and I have code to write before I sleep.
Corno_1
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "This is actually a feature that we had in FPSC. It was done with decals. Not sure when they plan to put it in GG."

What? What kind of mod you was using? Bulletwounds on enemies was never possible in vanilla FPSC, just bulletholes on walls, because for wounds you must change the textures dynamically. Not sure if this is even possible in dbpro. In C++ is everything possible, but when we get this is another question. If we calculate one month for each feature(GG updates are released in a monthly cycle) and wounds are the last point, then we must wait seven years.
My dream is to develope games, which makes fun when I create it and fun when other people play it.
PM
Disturbing 13
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2016 21:30 Edited at: 13th Mar 2016 21:32
Quote: "What? What kind of mod you was using? "

My bad, I must have misread. I thought he was talking about walls and objects. There was however a way to change the texture on an enemy to look like something else when it was killed. Not exact bulletholes where you shot but a different maybe bloody texture if you wanted. I don't see why that can't be done now in GG.

lordjulian
Years of Service
User Offline
If a Lua script could be written to detect the point of impact I'm sure it could then spawn a decal in that position. Why not repost this thread in the Scripts section and maybe someone might have a solution.
Julian
PM
Disturbing 13
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2016 23:45
Quote: "If a Lua script could be written to detect the point of impact I'm sure it could then spawn a decal in that position. "

Perhaps using the limbs system this would work.

Corno_1
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2016 09:47 Edited at: 19th Mar 2016 09:48
Quote: "Perhaps using the limbs system this would work. "

Sadly the limb system does not give anything back except a boolean (true/false). So you must calculate the head position and the playerpostion to get a spot for the decal(all is possible), but this spot does not represent the the bullet hit. instead it is just a random spot, so we can not exclude that it does not appear in the air. That was bad explained

Another try:
As long we do not get the coords of the hit, there will be no good result.

Also it might reduce fps, if you shoot with a mp, so he must spawn a lot of decals.

Some small thought of mine;
My dream is to develope games, which makes fun when I create it and fun when other people play it.
PM
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2016 17:36 Edited at: 19th Mar 2016 17:37
Quote: "Sadly the limb system does not give anything back except a boolean (true/false). So you must calculate the head position and the playerpostion to get a spot for the decal(all is possible), but this spot does not represent the the bullet hit. instead it is just a random spot, so we can not exclude that it does not appear in the air. That was bad explained"

maybe this will help explain why it isn't as simple as suggested, made this for slauren when he asked me about the possibility originally
lua guide for GG
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=398177770
windows 10
i5 @4ghz, 8gb ram, AMD R9 200 series , directx 11
lordjulian
Years of Service
User Offline
Looks like making bulletwounds is not feasible yet (although smallG has almost got it to work) but what about bullet-holes on static entities?
Julian
PM
Disturbing 13
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2016 02:08
Quote: " but what about bullet-holes on static entities?"

Indeed. I have a game that I transferred over to GG from FPSC that is kind of based on being able to leave decals on solid objects.

Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2016 00:46
When will we be able to have have bullet effects (decals) reference the material index? In FPSC you would have sparks for metal, concrete holes, wooden chips, water splashes and etc. All based off what material index you used. I feel in GG the illusion of bullets being a physical object... just isn't there. The characters seem to be able to shoot you at odd angles, without any visible bullets. Additionally the whiz by sounds are a bit too squeaky sounding as well (although you can change this yourself).

Hopefully some attention will come to this side of thing soon. Once we knock off some of the more important items on the list.
Twitter - Teabone3 | Youtube - Teabone3 | Twitch - Teabone3

i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce GT 740
MXS
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2016 01:36 Edited at: 22nd Mar 2016 01:41
this is all so funny I was just talking about stuff like this in another post as I will quote own words about this.

Quote: "as great as this pack is Belidos is right guru lacks a lot of the things when it comes to making a game in some type of genre. take the scifi pack it great in all but we have no laser bullet tracer effects in guru this would been nice to have with the pack. for this pack guru lacks melee for the third person as well the fireball not sounding like a rocket. I myself not sure what guru can or can not do at this time meaning the things I have said if they are possible to do or change. which one of the reason why I say after save&load is Lee needs to move on to things like this. gameplay is hurting over this and a easy editor builder is not going to fix that. character need to be able to move up and down stairs to attack you. if enemies limited to where they can go to get to you then it will be easy for the player to move where they know the enemies can't go. right now we are going to be 4 months in this year and yet can't still make a game that will WOW! people to play. I personally am not amused or impress by any of the game in WIP or the showcase. all look good but no real gameplay. I wish guru could at least the particle system that fpsc has and the bullet hole decals. it's better then nothing which we have now. all guru is now is fpsc with a bigger map editor and third person. also look at the Easter pack a bunny that throws fireballs at enemies come on now. you have basket full of eggs so you should be throwing eggs at enemies which once again why I don't want buy that pack. I will never have no uses for it because guru lacks any type of effects that fit the theme. this is what is hurting guru right now compare to other engines it's not graphic it is gameplay and effects."
more than what meets the eye.Welcome to SciFi Summer

Windows 7 home premium 64bit gtx770 sc acx 2gb gpu boost 2.0

Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2016 07:43 Edited at: 22nd Mar 2016 07:47
Quote: "for the third person as well the fireball not sounding like a rocket. "

So I'm not the only one that found this sound effect strange. It still needs a lot of work. For instance it doesn't actually shoot where the crosshair is. Additionally it be great if we can have guns or melee while in 3rd person too.

I'm actually surprised that bullet holes and etc are not in GG? Yet are in FPSC. I believe these are decals with alpha channels that spawn into place snapping to objects. With a death rate based off of how many are in the level in total. Most old games you could try to shoot your name into a wall but notice past bullet holes disappearing.

I have no idea how blood textures appear on characters in other games. If its decals or some type of texture map. Would indeed be nice to have. I remember seeing this in games as early as Playstation 1.
Twitter - Teabone3 | Youtube - Teabone3 | Twitch - Teabone3

i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce GT 740
JC LEON
Years of Service
User Offline
i think TgE and lee needs to hire some great people are on these forum and help them to improve the engine in small times

at least as fpsc was on tis last satges...

PC Specs:

Q9550@3,8GHZ - 8GB RAM - SVGA R9 280 3GB GDDR5 - HDD WD 1500TB
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-06-29 02:28:09
Your offset time is: 2024-06-29 02:28:09