Product Chat / Internal walls culling?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi, I'v spent a little over 2 weeks converting segment pieces from a FPSC model pack so I can build some free form enterable buildings, until now progress has been pretty good, I have a selection of walls with cutouts for door frames and windows (gotter love boolean!), floors, ceilings, door and window frames ... I have almost a complete DIY building pack

But now beyond the testing phaze and actually building some stuff Iv noticed this very annoying thing that when I'm inside a building and looking around some of the walls flicker as I pass other obsticals like the engine thinks the player can not see them and culls, is there a way to stop this

for instance, I enter a building, head for the stairs and go half way up, turn around and half the building is missing, please tell this is an easy fix?
PM
Jerry Tremble
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2016 21:11
What happens when you turn occlusion off?
MAME Cab PC: i7 4770@3.4Ghz (passmark 9945), 12GB RAM, Win 10/64, GeForce GTX645 (passmark 1898); Shiny new laptop: i7 4800MQ@2.7Ghz (passmark 8586), 16GB RAM, Win 10/64, GeForce GTX870M (passmark 3598); Old laptop: i5@2.3Ghz, 8GB RAM, Win 7/64, Intel 3000 graphics
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Can you post a video of what your seeing please ...
It sounds a bit extreme for just occlusion ?
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Not seen this myself, although I know the occlusion is still in need of work. Occlusion is nothing like as effective as it should be in my opinion, but I have said this several times in the past.

It needs some TLC to be honest, I can't see how it can ever work effectively with one slider to control it. We need a minimum and maximum distance for it to work reasonably from my experience in coding over the years. Using one slider to control it seems optimistic and unrealistic at best. I'm only going by my own experience with DB, which was limited to hiding specific objects rather than parts of the object, which is beyond me.

As far as I can see, the occlusion only works on a per entity basis, rather than per polygon. In which case I believe a minimum and maximum distance is required for it to be effective. You only have to witness the pop up issues apparent at the moment to see that. Working with object size and distance alone will never work 100%. Turning occlusion off should fix it, but in that case it's pretty useless. I have not found a real world level to work well with occlusion to date. I've sent levels which got fixed in the past, but always default media, which is pretty useless to anyone wanting to make an original game.

I could be wrong, it could just be a matter of tweaking the system used, but really for overall use to make an original game, I think we need more control of the culling system. I have sent various examples to TGC of the popup and general issues of occlusion, but all need to be default media, which in all honesty doesn't really help. I still have issues with custom levels, which I can never get fixed because I am always asked for a default media example. I do my best to recreate the issue, but it never fixes my custom level.

For now, just disable occlusion. Perhaps it will work effectively in the future, at the moment it just doesn't seem to work properly.

SPECS: Q6600 CPU. Nvidia 660GTX. 8 Gig Memory. Win 7.
PartTimeCoder
Years of Service
User Offline
turning occlusion off does fix the issue yes but its not an ideal soultion, I managed to fix the problem by adding "notanoccluder = 1" to some of the bigger internal structures that seemed to be causing the problems (stair case and prefab corridors) and occlusion turned up full and it seems to be working ok

It took a couple of hours of searching to find the notanoccluder setting, these fpe commands really need to be documented and stickied

One item of default media that does cause this problem is the modular wall in the scenery folder paired with the chainlink gate, I noticed this a couple of weeks ago while placing a wall round one of the buildings from the building pack (the one with the garage), while stood inside the garage the columns would clip the wall, while outside looking down an ally the chainlink gate would clip the wall ..... I gave up on the level! lol
PM
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2016 13:42
they are. A search would have given you this link.

https://forum.game-guru.com/thread/214389
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s), 8gb RAM, Nvidia gtx660, Windows 7 Pro 64bit, Screen resolution 1680 x 1050.

Jerry Tremble
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2016 14:30 Edited at: 10th Mar 2016 14:38
Quote: "chainlink gate would clip the wall"

That's a transparency issue with the chainlink fence, I'd bet. I don't know all the ins and outs of that, but that information is around one of the more recent threads as well.

EDIT: LOL, actually, it's in that list of .fpe properties that Myke linked to. (try transparency = 2 or 3, canseethrough =1 if they aren't already there)
MAME Cab PC: i7 4770@3.4Ghz (passmark 9945), 12GB RAM, Win 10/64, GeForce GTX645 (passmark 1898); Shiny new laptop: i7 4800MQ@2.7Ghz (passmark 8586), 16GB RAM, Win 10/64, GeForce GTX870M (passmark 3598); Old laptop: i5@2.3Ghz, 8GB RAM, Win 7/64, Intel 3000 graphics
PM
PartTimeCoder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2016 15:12 Edited at: 10th Mar 2016 15:16
Thanks, I did a whole bunch of searching and did not find that, guess I was using wrong keywords, will save a whole lot of guess work lol

Quote: "That's a transparency issue"

Thanks, I'll check out the fpe and see if I can solve it

all these little problems albeit kind of annoying have taught me a lot about how entities work in GG, knowing what to do is well and good but knowing what not to do saves a whole lot of future headaches
PM
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2016 15:39
Yes, I would suggest that when you find an object that you need to modify the FPE settings, to make a copy of it and change the name.

This will prevent updates from over writing your fpe files, back to default.
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s), 8gb RAM, Nvidia gtx660, Windows 7 Pro 64bit, Screen resolution 1680 x 1050.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-28 22:59:34
Your offset time is: 2024-09-28 22:59:34