Work In Progress / The Reiver game and model pack [WIP]

Author
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2016 16:34 Edited at: 27th Feb 2016 19:55
The Reiver

Developer Robert Hindle

Storyline Not 100% decided but mainly a Medieval mystery game.

Description Game Guru version of a Reality Factory project I shelved some time ago and decided to resurrect, at the moment I am making all the models and building the game as I go, all models made so far can be seen in the video below along with a quick run through of the first part of the first level.

https://youtu.be/_ieoLFtVtUQ

Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2016 16:53 Edited at: 27th Feb 2016 19:40
Hello!

Please make sure your work in progress thread is following the required criteria as seen here:

LINK TO EXAMPLE THREAD

If you have made the necessary progress, please contact me or another mod to unlock your thread.

-Wolf

Edit: Unlocked! ...and good work as well!
"When I contradict myself, I am telling the truth"
"absurdity has become necessity"
Shadow man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2016 22:23 Edited at: 27th Feb 2016 22:54
Very nice work, it reminds me of the old Thief games that I used to make maps for
many years ago, I like it a lot.

Edit, I just clicked on your web site link,.....your the guy that made Infiltration with
GCS from Pie in the Sky software, I played the demo of that years ago, thought
it was pretty good,....if only the GCS had stayed in development, by now it would
be pretty awesome,...but alas, anyway, nice to see you moving on,...I also tried
Reality Factory, and Retribution Engine, but they are just too old to do anything
with now, they have not been updated in years,...a big shame.
Anyway, good luck with this, I will definitely keep an eye on it.
Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1, Intel CPU G530 @ 2,40GHz, 8GB RAM, Nvidia GT730 2GB GDDR5,
Patriot Blast SSD, DX11.
PM
Disturbing 13
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2016 22:49
Great looking models there! Glad to see you on the forums! Looking forward to seeing this new project develop. Did you ever think of giving Game Guru a go at your other project - Infiltration? I know some parts won't be possible at the time such as underwater areas but soon it should be available. Well, again, glad to see you here.

Bod
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2016 23:12 Edited at: 28th Feb 2016 08:37
@ Shadow man
It's a pity GCS folded, I was a beta tester for it and GCNextAI and I also ran the bulletin board and Tech Support for Kevin until he decided to give up on it when I was testing V3.09, myself and Lonnie Flickinger were the testers and we both moved on to Reality Factory where we tried to get GCNextAI ported into it but it never came off unfortunately, it would be great if GameGuru had an AI system as good as that, somebody should recruit John Worsham who wrote it.

@ Disturbing13
Is that you George ? I did think about resurrecting Infiltration and I may do so in the future, I had 29 levels and gave up when Windows out grew it so it would only play in a window, I kept the kids game Prezzie Hunt going on GCS until 2012 and I made and published a 1 level GameGuru version last Christmas, I was learning and exploring the engine as I made it.
Disturbing 13
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2016 23:33 Edited at: 28th Feb 2016 23:34
Yup it's me George. Brad (spunglass) is working with Game Guru as well. I'm trying to get him to remake Astro Reptilio in GG.

I don't see why a next AI script creator couldn't be made with Lua commands. It could output a script in Lua. It was really easy to visually create scripts with easy to understand 'english' commands that really were just connected to a code language command. If I could code/program/script I would be all on it with you. If you decide to give it a go in Lua for GG, I'll definitely be a tester for you. You could even advertise- 'So easy, even this idiot can do it.' Call it SImple AI, or SimpLua. Maybe some of the wonderful talent we have here would be interested in such a task?

Landman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Feb 2016 13:55
I loved the old Thief series and this reminds me of that. Can't wait to see more of your work!
Youtube.com/c/Landmanhd1080p - LandmanHD Youtube Gaming Channel | chrislandman.mypixelbox.net - My Design Portfolio | Artrift.com - Digital Art Community
Bod
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Feb 2016 21:26 Edited at: 29th Feb 2016 21:54
@ Disturbing 13
I know you were very adept with GCS George so this is aimed more at others reading this thread who may be interested to know how GCNextAI worked.
GG would really benefit from something like GCNextAI as it was an editor where you laid out the functions you want the character to do and it created the .gs1 file for you then you assigned it to the character the same way GG assigns the AI script, they didn't always work but it was very easy to experiment and you never got errors as it sorted out the sequence and syntax from within, I had guys jumping down off crates, dropping through skylights running away so you had to chase them to get an item, jumping out from behind scenery etc. You could just about do anything once you learnt how, you could also have allies or buddys as they were called, fight with you because you assigned a group number to each .gs1 file and you could give them the same group number as the player, you could also get them to fight each other by simply giving them a different group number, you could have them only attack if you were armed by using the _if_target_has_item_# function where # is the inventory number. I haven't used waypoints with GG yet but GCNextAI uses path maps which were assigned to the character so I'm assuming it is similar.

@Landman
Thanks, glad you like it, I don't really want to rip off Thief but hopefully there will be a bit of sneaking around if I can work out how to do it via AI scripts, if we did have something like GCNextAI it would be really easy, the characters had states you assigned in the AI script so to make a Thiefesque character you would make a script something like this, me is the character and target is the player

STATE_NORMAL
_if_me_dist_target_< (200)
_do_stateswitch_STATE_CURIOUS

STATE_CURIOUS
_do_playsound (#) (this would be a sound pre-assigned a number, character saying something for example)
_if_me_see_target
_do_stateswitch_STATE_HOSTILE
else
_if_target_dist_> (200)
do_stateswitch_STATE_NORMAL

STATE_HOSTILE
_if_me_see_target
_do_attack_target
else
_if_target_dist_>(200)
_do_hunt_target
_endif
Bod
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2016 12:53 Edited at: 4th Mar 2016 13:03
I have now got to a stage where I need to connect levels, in other engines I have used in the past you could copy whole areas from one level and paste them into another level so you could do a seamless level switch, as GG doesn't seem to have that function I decided on connecting tunnels/sewers which meant making more models.

Anubis
Years of Service
User Offline
Location: 010011100110010101110100011010000110010101110010011011000110
Posted: 5th Mar 2016 20:25
Paste whole areas and copy them to another map is not possible no!
Not yet anyway.

But the way i would tackle this.. If by levels you mean.. end of level 1.. winzone.. load level 2.. and you want to continue in the same hallway you left level 1.
Start building/making the 2nd level by opening the first.
Copy and paste the ending area.. move it to an empty place on the map and remove the rest.
Replace the part you saved to where you really want it, save it as Level 2 and carry on building level 2.

There might be simpler ways, but i don't know them. So i would approach it like this.

Grts
-+- There are only 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't -+-
[Chipset:X58 CPU:i7.950.64 GPU:HD7950 RAM:12GB DDR3 WIN:7.x64 PRO]
PM
Bod
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2016 00:21
Thanks for the suggestions Anubis, for now I have made the tunnel as a single model so I can place it in both levels, at the end of the first level and at the beginning of the second level, just a case of getting the torches, flames and boxes in the same place, the planks, beams and steps are part of the model.

Bod
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2016 14:11 Edited at: 8th Mar 2016 14:14
I think I found a bug today, I made an animated rack model where when activated the rope axle and handles turn drawing the nearest shackle block towards it, the animation from blender was too fast so I altered the animation speed in the entity's properties, after doing this the entity is no longer clickable, you have to click and drag over it to snag it but as it's in a room on a floor that method selects everything.

Bod
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2016 21:58
My Medieval model pack folder was getting too big and too dis-organised so I have decided to split it into sub folders from now on, here are some pictures of a small dungeon pack, the room snaps into place like all the previous buildings, rooms and panel models.

Shadow man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2016 01:17
Very nice,....I wish I could get my head around blender,....I know it is not as bad as it
used to be, but that interface still gives me a headache,....lol.
Anyway, nice work, keep going.
Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1, Intel CPU G530 @ 2,40GHz, 8GB RAM, Nvidia GT730 2GB GDDR5,
Patriot Blast SSD, DX11.
PM
Bod
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2016 09:53
Blender is a lot better than it used to be and like with any software when you know how it works and how to use it it seems easy, it still won't load .x files but at least it now exports them properly, in previous versions you had to flip normals as it saved them inside out when exported to .x, it was easy to do but it gave strange effects when the model was placed in a game, if you look at this penguin character I made for a kids game you will notice the shadow is on the same side of the model as where the light hits it, that's because I had to flip normals before exporting.

Bod
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2016 22:54 Edited at: 14th Mar 2016 19:39
More models and the first area of Level 2.

I wasn't happy with the lower stone texture on the buildings so I changed it.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Bod
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2016 12:41
Shadow man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2016 22:47
Looks good,...some texture variations on the buildings would make it look even better,...
but other than that, I can't fault it,...well, apart from the shadows not looking quite right
in some places, but that is GG,s fault not yours, hopefully that will be fixed soon,...
apart from that,...nice.
Patriot Blast SSD, DX11.
PM
Bod
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2016 01:18
The shadows are possibly partly my fault as I haven't perfected the level settings yet, when "surface level" is adjusted they don't look as sharp on the cobbles and blend better but it also makes the static light sources look a little washed out, the biggest problem was when I used my original cobbled floor, the original model was one piece which went from the pub to the steps and after light mapping only the pub end was baked, from the 3rd house to the steps there were no shadows at all which made that end appear as though it was a dynamic entity, so I made a new floor model one third of the length and laid 3 of them end to end which solved the problem.
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Great stuff! The light-mapped level looks really atmospheric. Nice work on the models.

SPECS: Q6600 CPU. Nvidia 660GTX. 8 Gig Memory. Win 7.
science boy
Years of Service
User Offline
i do like this very very much
an unquenchable thirst for knowledge of game creation!!!
Mathiasdam
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey is this on the TGC store ? I was looking for it because you have made some awesome models!
PM
Bod
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2016 09:20
Quote: "Hey is this on the TGC store ?"

The models for this game aren't yet available but like it says in the part 1 video they will be released when my game is finished. I don't have a store account but I have quite a few free models for download in the "Free models and media" section in the thread linked below, I make quite a few models which never get used so I put them in that thread, I don't charge for them in the store, I would rather they get well used.

https://forum.game-guru.com/thread/215012
Bod
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2016 19:57 Edited at: 26th Apr 2016 11:12
I have been neglecting this project a bit whilst I have been making models for other users, so today I decided to be selfish and make myself some more models, this is another sub folder to the main Medieval Model Pack I have been making which is getting a bit too big, this is a blacksmiths and all the models share one texture file, I did animate the treadle stone and bellows for the forge but they don't look right when light mapped as dynamic objects so in the last picture they are set as static.

Attachments

Bod
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2016 18:20 Edited at: 26th Apr 2016 18:20
This is a one piece room I made today which snaps in behind the fascias.

Attachments

Bod
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2016 22:34 Edited at: 6th May 2016 22:36

Shadow man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2016 13:55
Very nice work,....I look forward to seeing more.
Patriot Blast SSD, DX11.
PM
Disturbing 13
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2016 20:31
Magnificent! Fantastic work there.

Bod
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2016 20:39
Quote: "Magnificent! Fantastic work there. "

Thanks George.

BTW where did you get the "3D Media maker" badge ?
Disturbing 13
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2016 23:20
I created two official model packs for FPSC back in the day. It was the two NightCity model packs.
Teabone
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2016 03:13
Quote: "I loved the old Thief series and this reminds me of that. Can't wait to see more of your work!
"

Me too and I feel the same way.
Twitter - Teabone3 | Youtube - Teabone3 | Twitch - Teabone3

i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce GT 740
Bod
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2016 08:08
Quote: "I created two official model packs for FPSC back in the day. It was the two NightCity model packs."

Bod
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2016 21:00 Edited at: 17th May 2016 21:44
It's been brought to my attention that there are roof windows in the exterior model but there aren't any windows in the attic part of the interior model in the video I posted previously, whoops ! I have now modified the interior model and made a bit more furniture which uses the same texture, I also realised when making it that there are only 9 textures used in the whole video, I'm so used to making games that don't over tax resources that I am still doing it.

Attachments

Bod
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2016 23:04 Edited at: 20th Jun 2016 23:10
With other game engines I have used in the past you could make a building with windows and make the glass as one entity which is something I have been trying to do with GG, I first made the building with the glass as one model but when placed in a level the glass was solid, second try was to highlight all the glass then separate it from the main model in Blender's edit mode then tab to object mode and save the glass and building as 1 model, transparency worked but when you placed entities in the building they disappeared when looked at through the glass, as did the interior of the building, also entities outside the building disappeared if you were inside looking out, my third try was to make them as separate models then append the glass to the building model and save out as one model, this worked the same as the second try so in desperation I made the windows and model as separate models with their own .fpe's which actually worked as can be seen here https://forum.game-guru.com/thread/215012?page=3 near the bottom of the 3rd page of my free models thread. The upshot is I have now got it working and have been busy modifying all my Medieval buildings which is why I haven't posted in here for a while, it would be better to use one model but at least it works.

Attachments

Bod
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2016 12:52 Edited at: 28th Jun 2016 12:52
I decided to try something different today and made a model of a Church with all interior fixings included as one entity, I had to make the doors and windows separately as they are dynamic but it worked out pretty well, the model plus doors and windows has under 5,000 vertices and the texture which is the same for the Church, doors and windows is 1.00mb.

Disturbing 13
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2016 20:19
Very nice! The front portion of the church immediately reminded me of that old tabletop game-Dark Tower.
Bod
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2016 20:46 Edited at: 3rd Jul 2016 14:04
Quote: "Very nice! The front portion of the church immediately reminded me of that old tabletop game-Dark Tower."

I've never seen that before, it must not have made it over here. I went to look at a motorbike in Swarkestone, Derbyshire last week and passed a Medieval church which gave me the idea.
Bod
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2016 18:20
At the moment this project is on hold because all GG characters have vertigo and don't function above ground level so I have recently been making models for other users rather than for myself, but for the last couple of days I have got back on it and made some city walls, towers, walkways, gates and doors, mainly to resurrect this thread as I believe they get locked if they aren't posted in for a certain amount of time, so here is a short video of some of the city wall models.

synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
Recently Online
Posted: 31st Jul 2016 21:58 Edited at: 31st Jul 2016 21:59
Quote: "I believe they get locked if they aren't posted in for a certain amount of time, so here is a short video of some of the city wall models. "

Its Automatic not done by us .... If it happens though just pm one of us and we will unlock it

Fantastic work though ... Once we get AI on all levels its going to be great on those
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
Bolt Action Gaming
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2016 01:50
reminds me a lot of vermentide's art
Bod
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2016 10:51 Edited at: 6th Aug 2016 10:53
I had a bit of spare time this morning so I knocked up a suit of armour, it still needs a bit of work but it's coming along.

Attachments

Bod
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2016 22:16 Edited at: 30th Sep 2016 22:16
Another update and still no sign of characters operating at anything higher than a kerb stone so very little progress from me apart from making models

Attachments

Bod
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2016 22:13
Bod
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2016 20:45
Over the last day or two I have been making filler models to make the level look a bit more filled.

Attachments

Bod
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2016 17:30
I've been making even more models, this time for inside, apart from some of the decals I have made every single model in this game so far.

Attachments

3com
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2016 18:15
Excellent work Bod, this proves once again that in the development of a game, the engine is only 30%.
I would not know what to do with a chisel and a hammer, but Miguel Angel, well that's another thing.

I love this phrase: the statue has always been there, I just limited myself to remove the leftover parts.

3com
Laptop: Lenovo - Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 1005M @ 1.90GHz

OS: Windows 10 (64) - Ram: 4 gb - Hd: 283 gb - Video card: Intel(R) HD Graphics

PM
Bod
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2016 19:42
Quote: "I love this phrase: the statue has always been there, I just limited myself to remove the leftover parts. "
Teabone
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2016 07:52
You certainly are gifted. Great modeling skills!
Twitter - Teabone3 | Youtube - Teabone3 | Twitch - Teabone3 TGC Assets - Store Link

i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce GT 740
Bod
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2017 20:35
Bod
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2017 16:01
After making the Galleon a while ago I thought I had better make somewhere to put it, I re-textured the City Walls models and made a set of dock models which share the same texture and marry up to the City Walls, there are also a lot of filler models not shown in this video which use the same texture.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2017-03-25 19:27:38
Your offset time is: 2017-03-25 19:27:38