3rd Party Models/Media Chat / Request: Sci-Fi Dropship

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I was wondering if there is any artist here who would be willing to make me a sci-fi themed dropship akin to the one found in the film 'Aliens'. I am not looking for a carbon copy (copyright obviously), but something that is influenced by that design. The dropship from 'Aliens' was based off of the Huey and other Vietnam era helicopters, so I am looking for something 'retro' looking going off that design influence. I know that Cosmic Prophet has made one located on Game Guru files, which has a military 'feel' and it is a nice free model, but the model textures are of a lower quality compared to TGC sci-fi DLC pack and it really sticks out like a sore thumb. I am prepared to compensate the artists for their time and effort of course. I have a picture of an example of something that is on the lines I'm thinking off. Thank you!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
PM
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 18th Feb 2016 08:43 Edited at: 18th Feb 2016 08:45
Cosmic Prophet made some nice sci-fi ships a while back, they're free and hosted on gameguru files.

Sci-fi vehicles: http://www.gamegurufiles.co.uk/models2.html (about half way down the page, this has a nice drop ship tipe ship in it).

Sci-fi Fighter: http://www.gamegurufiles.co.uk/models3.html (another ship that has a drop-ship look too it)

Edit: just noticed you already mentioned the ones on gameguru files, sorry lol
i7, NV960 4GB, 16GB memory, 2x 4TB Hybrid, Win10.
i5 , AMD 6770 1GB, 8GB memory, 512GB Generic SATAIII + 2TB Seagate Baracuda SATAIII, Win7.
i3, Radeon integrated graphics, 4GB memory, 512gB Generic SATAII, Win8.1.
Q6600, Intel integrated graphics, 2GB memory, 180GB Generic SATAII, WinXP.
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2016 10:17 Edited at: 18th Feb 2016 10:17
Is this the sort of thing you're looking for? (obviously textured and with some jets and more detailing)

Just a quick model I did on my morning tea break

i5 , AMD 6770 1GB, 8GB memory, 512GB Generic SATAIII + 2TB Seagate Baracuda SATAIII, Win7.

Attachments

grobyken
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2016 12:03 Edited at: 18th Feb 2016 12:05
Already done a couple of times by Griffith in Sketchup Warehouse. One example in picture below.

Just needs converting and as long as you don't claim it as your own otherwise copyright free.

Attachments

Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2016 13:14 Edited at: 19th Feb 2016 08:30
Here's something else I was doodling in my break, obviously not detailed and textured yet, but a rough idea on shape (yes the cockpit area is missing, that will probably be the most detailed part so i'm leaving it till last)

Attachments

display mode error
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Already done a couple of times by Griffith in Sketchup Warehouse. One example in picture below.

Just needs converting and as long as you don't claim it as your own otherwise copyright free."

Of course any work that is not done solely by myself will be credited where appropriate. While I love your artwork and the dropship design from Aliens. I am unclear of what the copyright laws in regards to putting something in an independently made game which based off a movie/TV series etc. While I fully intend to make my game free to play when completed (it's my first project with which I 'intend' to finish), I am unsure the legality of using 'recognisable' art. I've heard cases where mods were ordered to be taken down because they were based on a licence but were totally free projects.

[/quote]Is this the sort of thing you're looking for? (obviously textured and with some jets and more detailing)

Just a quick model I did on my morning tea break[quote=]

I think that's fabulous! The only personal issue I have is with the wings at the front. They just look a little too long and too much like an airplane. I was thinking you should straighten those wing tips to match the rest of the main wing, shorten them a little and then sweep them back. something in between a Pelican Dropship from Halo and a F14 Tomcat?

Attachments

PM
display mode error
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Here's something else I was doodling in my break, obviously not detailed and textured yet, but a rough idea on shape (yes the cockpit area is missing, that will probably be the most detailed part so i'm leaving it till last)"

I like that a lot, I prefer it to your other one!
PM
grobyken
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2016 14:28
Regarding Sketchup Models. I have always worked on the premise that any models I upload to the warehouse are in the public domain. Below is a piece of the original Google T & Cs and these do not seem to have changed under Trimble. By the way I did not mean to infer that you would not recognise others work

The license that content creators must grant under the TOS is straightforward. Both Google and end users have a non-exclusive, perpetual, worldwide license to use any content uploaded under the terms of the TOS. If you upload content, in other words, you are granting a perpetual, royalty-free, worldwide non-exclusive license to both Google and those who use the Google 3D warehouse. While the content creator can make the content available under a different license, said license can't interfere with the license granted under the TOS unless the content creator removes their content from the 3D warehouse subject to the termination requirements. Even so, any use of the content by google or end users PRIOR to termination will remain protected under the license.

If you are an end user (which you would be in this case) you can use that content in any manner described in the ToS, including:

to reproduce the Content;
to create and reproduce derivative works of the Content;
to display publicly and distribute copies of the Content;
to display publicly and distribute copies of derivative works of the content.

There is no limitation on commercial use. The enumerated rights are those provided in Sec. 102 and 103 of the Copyright Act, and the act anticipates commercial use.
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2016 15:03
Quote: "I like that a lot, I prefer it to your other one!"

I've added a little bit of detail, if you want to have a look around the model in 3d then you can find it on sketchfab in the link below.

https://sketchfab.com/models/ebc371db0f2d46d2acf6a5c84bc68f19
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2016 17:54
Model's almost done, just needs some small detail and then on to texturing, I was supposed to be working, but my boss isn't around, so I did this at work

Take a look at the final mesh here:

https://sketchfab.com/models/44801d2abe784377bae400bc788b88a4
display mode error
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2016 19:26 Edited at: 18th Feb 2016 19:27
That's very impressive. I'm not so sure about the bent 'neck' leading to the cockpit on this version. I kind of liked the cockpit design on your V1, where it just comes straight out of the fuselage. I like the flat 'nose' design on the cockpit, reminds me of a colonial viper from Battlestar Galactica, which is very retro looking
PM
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2016 20:44 Edited at: 18th Feb 2016 20:48
OK, i'll take a look at that at the weekend, for now, here's the current mesh with some basic texturing.

Maybe if I removed the piece of the neck that's angled down, raised the cockpit and pulled it back so it has a short straight neck?

Edit: Actually I might have to pull the short straight part of the neck down and line it up with the cockpit, otherwise the cockpits in the way of the jets, which is why I angled it down like that.

Attachments

Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2016 21:08 Edited at: 18th Feb 2016 21:12
This one better?

p.s: the original battlestar galactica rules! I loved the original vipers

Attachments

Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2016 21:11
Good!! Why isn't there stuff of that caliber on your store page, Belidos?
"When I contradict myself, I am telling the truth"
"absurdity has become necessity"
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2016 21:13 Edited at: 18th Feb 2016 21:17
Quote: "Good!! Why isn't there stuff of that caliber on your store page, Belidos?"

I'm still learning, and I get distracted easily, I was supposed to be making a modular motel pack, but someone mentioned mechs half way through and I started on one of those, now I see this guy mention drop ships and i'm like "ooh i'll try tha"t, and here it is. I'm also a little OCPD and if it doesn't come out just perfect I get frustrated and start again, and again, and again, then give up lol.

I need to get the textures out of blender yet though.. uv mapping comes out a bit different to generated, and i'm never sure how it will look until it's done, I've scrapped a fair few projects in frustration because the UV maps come out really bad compared to the generated rendering.
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2016 22:07 Edited at: 18th Feb 2016 22:08
OK first text in game client, no normal or specular map yet, and I need to put a real texture on the cockpit. How's the scale in comparison to the in game character? Too big?

Attachments

display mode error
Years of Service
User Offline
I love it! The cockpit I think looks a whole lot better as a straight piece. It gives it a better looking forward looking profile. I was looking for something maybe half that size, but after seeing your 'in game' screenshots it really looks imposing, so I'm happy with the scale. Let me know what I owe for your time, really chuffed!
PM
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2016 23:27
You don't owe me anything, I enjoyed making it, and I learned a few things while making it, it's hard to believe i loaded blender for the first time less than two months ago, and now i'm doing models like this

There's still a few tweaks I need to do, and the cockpit glass needs a proper texture, which I won't get to until the weekend, and I need to make a specular and normal map for it, once I'm done I'll post it as an attachment in this thread for you and in my free models thread for anyone else that wants it.

I've also had a few ideas for some additions, some decals, and warning markings, some control panels with glowing lights and such, when I do them i'll probably put the more detailed version on the store, so keep your eyes peeled for that.
display mode error
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2016 00:12 Edited at: 19th Feb 2016 00:16
Quote: "You don't owe me anything, I enjoyed making it, and I learned a few things while making it, it's hard to believe i loaded blender for the first time less than two months ago, and now i'm doing models like this"

Thank you so much. I really appreciate that.

Quote: "I've also had a few ideas for some additions, some decals, and warning markings, some control panels with glowing lights and such, when I do them i'll probably put the more detailed version on the store, so keep your eyes peeled for that."

I would be very interested in that version if that's what you plan and would defo buy that from the store. One thing that I think would look awesome for your store version would be the old 'sharks teeth' you see on aircraft like the A-10 Thunderbolt. It would make it very striking and give it that 'military' feel. Maybe you could also add missile pods underneath the wings like an Apache helicopter for your store version? But great work btw, I would love to see what you do with it! So keep me posted!

P.S add missile pods and a sharks face
PM
OldFlak
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2016 10:02
@Belidos, really cool, errrmm, just really cool!!!

Reliquia....
Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-4160 @ 3,60GHz. 8GB Ram. NVidia GeForce GTX 750. Acer 24" Monitors x 2 @ 1920 x 1080. Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.
PM
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2016 21:28
Here you go, the textures aren't perfect but it should do, there's a small issue on one of the sets of tail fins, some extra geometry that's not in the model in anything but gameguru and I can't work out why, but it's only noticeable if you're right up close so it shouldn't be an issue, enjoy.

Attachments

display mode error
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks a lot, looks pretty good. Yes is does have a few issues, but it's a great design, it will work for now as a 'stand in'. Hoping you will release it in store when it's 'fixed' because I think you got a real seller here!
PM
Isagabe
Years of Service
User Offline
@Belidos
Truly impressive mate. And only two months in modelling! True talent. I have been messing with Blender since I began my project and have yet to figure it out. Those making sci-fi games are truly lucky that we have generous artists like yourself in the community.
Honkeyboy
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2016 19:29
Wicked model

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-06-17 14:08:53
Your offset time is: 2024-06-17 14:08:53