Work In Progress / Orders

Author
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2016 02:46 Edited at: 10th May 2016 08:17
1. Name of Game: Orders

2.) Developer name: AuShadow

3.) Storyline and/or description: A simple linear FPS mission where your orders are simple, Clear out the old apartment complex which is being used as a front by the North Korean Military. Just a concept idea at the moment but plan to release this level once completed. I want to make it part of a larger open world game where exploring the city you can go into mission areas which would then transport you to the linear styled game play.

I have uploaded a standalone build that can be play tested if people wish, a few notes first but:

1. There is no win zone so you will need to end the game manually -- plans for a win objective later
2. This is far from complete
3. I would appreciate feedback including difficulty, game play, how it runs on your PC, Frame rate etc
4. Prior to building the standalone I forgot to lower the max jump height so you cant jump the edges so please keep this in mind and only cross at the ramps
5. Its short I know, its only designed at the moment for 5 - 10 gameplay
6. That's it, hope you enjoy and any criticism don't hold back to be nice i appreciate honest feedback

here is a run through and note its not finished yet, still alot of polish to put on it
PC Specs: Windows 10 home 64-bit, Amd 7900 3gb DDR5 graphics, 8gb DDR3 Ram, Intel i7 3.4ghz
AuShadow
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2016 02:37 Edited at: 19th Feb 2016 06:51
If anyones interested going to be running my twitch stream while I play around with a few things on this level

twitch here: http://www.twitch.tv/shadowhunterau stream closed

Once I am completely happy with the apartment complex I am going to extend the play area into the Industrial area and have the player start there and work towards the apartment complex. A long way to go but.

Edit:
Made a few changes here they are:
v0.15
Added foundation under industrial background area
Created and added basic playground equiptment
More clutter on 2nd floor apartments
Fenced off some more area on 2nd floor allowing player to kill shotgun defender early(out of AI range)
A few more tree foilage in background
Added Decals to 3rd floor floor sections
Jump Speed greatly decreased so cant jump barriers (almost non existant jump)
Added Dead trees behind buildings to break up empty space
Reduced starting ammo to 1911 with 10 rounds and 1 box of 10, instead of the 70+ you got before
Reduced number of AI in first encounter to 2
Clutter items in 3rd floor RH apartment
TEMP: Increase HP to 1000 to make testing easier

EDIT EDIT:
few more changes today, probably wont get back to working on it again until next week now
Started Creation of (SECRET AREA)--to be announce further down the line, somewhere around v0.40
-- Mods to this area in changelog will simply be called zone2 for now
Zone 2 basic area mapped out
Found and deleted rouge entites (had flown to edge of map when using the widget
Adjusted position of shotgun defender on level 2
Added more clutter pieces to stop UZI defender shooting player before he can be seen
Purchased VA's Road assets -- To rebuild industrial area around
Added Soundzone to play suspense music loop in background from game start
Restricted Jump Height even further (could still bypass sections with some tricky jumping)

and a few new screens

Note these are low poly placeholder assets I made so if anyone wants them Just check my free items thread , again any and all comments and or criticisms are welcome
PC Specs: Windows 10 home 64-bit, Amd 7900 3gb DDR5 graphics, 8gb DDR3 Ram, Intel i7 3.4ghz
Tarkus1971
Audio Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2016 12:21
thats looking great AuShadow.
Aftershock Quad Core AMD FM2+ 3.5 GHz 8GB Motherboard and Processor, A7700k apu, AMD HD7870 gfx card.
King Korg Synth, Alesis SR18 Drum Machine, Akai MPX8 sample player, Roland Fantom XA Synth, Axus Digital AXK2 Digital Drum Kit.
Defy
Years of Service
User Offline
Agree with Tarkus, look forward to seeing more.
Define R4, i7, 8g, R7 360
PM
AuShadow
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2016 11:48
Was anyone able to play test this, as just tried to get a steam friend to play it and it would crash on loading, any feedback here appreciated

szempek555
Years of Service
User Offline
Okay just downloaded and tested the game. Played it all the way though with no crashes or any other problems. I was playing on the highest settings and was getting 80 fps at the lowest and 140 fps at the highest. My PC specs for reference are: I7 4790K (no overclock), Gigabyte Gaming G1 GTX970, 8GB ram, Windows 10. Well for the only glitch I found was that there was this black flickering all the way though the game which was really annoying but still the game can be finished. And well this isn't any kind of a bug or problem but the game for the first try was hard, took me a little time to get used to the enemies and where they will be because you could die really fast if you aren't careful, it takes like 3 shots or so and your dead. Other then that only the jumping was annoying, but you wrote that it isn't set correctly yet. The game was pretty fun so far would like to see more of it. Good job so far. If you need any testing just write.
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 25th Feb 2016 16:40
The black flickering is probably the NVidia bug with the last couple of driver releases, AUShadow should be able to fix that temporarily by adding a couple of extra lights (they don't have to be anywhere visible, can be at the other end of the map where a player won't go) to the map.
i7, NV960 4GB, 16GB memory, 2x 4TB Hybrid, Win10.
i5 , AMD 6770 1GB, 8GB memory, 512GB Generic SATAIII + 2TB Seagate Baracuda SATAIII, Win7.
i3, Radeon integrated graphics, 4GB memory, 512gB Generic SATAII, Win8.1.
Q6600, Intel integrated graphics, 2GB memory, 180GB Generic SATAII, WinXP.
SpaceWurm
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 26th Feb 2016 19:55 Edited at: 27th Jul 2019 14:20
Gave it a bash! It all ran perfectly fine. I took szempek555's advice, one must be very careful around these sneaky AI soldiers.
AuShadow
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Feb 2016 05:49
Update to v0.20

Remade the entire Industrial area
Added Roads and sidewalks, from VA roads pack (all scaled down)
Mapped out linear path through Industrial area
Blocked off all paths other then desired one for player
Some clutter items placed throughout industrial
Scripted Transfers from zone 1 to 2 then 3
Tested Light mapping, found no benefit - perhaps due to heavy fog setting already
Found placement issues in zone 2 and corrected
PlayTest NO AI in zone1 or 2, average 40+ fps on highest settings

Will Update the Standalone once zone 1 and 2 are completed as at the moment the is no AI placement yet and I want to take my time and get that right .
couple of screens from the updated industrial area (which by the way is now a playable area

AuShadow
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2016 03:17 Edited at: 1st Mar 2016 03:17
New update: small list but time consuming tasks

Added enemy encampments to zone 1 (industrial area)
Tweaked AI scripts, they mostly use smallg's sniper script (a lot more trigger happy)
several play tests and entity placement tweaks
More clutter items added (zone 1)
Changed to a cloudy daytime based on user feedback saying it suits better -- Any comments on this?
Zone 2 and 3 untouched for this update - trying to get the combat right first in zone 1
anyway here's a new vid:

Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2016 04:57
for being so foggy the sky sure is clear! thats the only real comment I have. you should try to make the sky and the fog the same colour, and if the fog is going to be so close and thick, the sky should probably be all grey.

otherwise though, it looks like it plays pretty well! I like a nice simple shooter, and this is one of the most detailed maps I've seen so far!
Hire Me! I model, animate, cook, clean, and texture!
AuShadow
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2016 03:45
Thanks Bugsy, almost 1000 entities in the scene so far and running well, will go through some different sky settings today as well as some other small tweaks I have in mind. Modified smallGs sniper script today so head shots will work as a 1 hit kill again. Hopefully have a more finished version avaliable to download in about 2 weeks, start back at work tommorow for 8 days
Disturbing 13
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2016 17:06
Try going with a sky that has similar RGB values as your fog. I find this makes things almost seamless. Great work BTW!

teamhalo
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Gears of War 4
Posted: 4th Mar 2016 05:29
Just now saw this thread! Cool stuff man! It's progressing a long nicely Love the roads!!
AuShadow
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2016 09:37
Thanks halo I'm sure you recognise quite a few building and road assets there , the roads there are scaled about 45% or they look massive next to your apartment buildings, had a couple of tweaks and such since but will hopefully have a new build when I next go on break not the week coming but the one after.
AuShadow
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2016 07:15
just to let everyone know i am still working on this just got heavily distracted lately by the the division , anyway as a way of punishing myself for not making any updates lately I am making the play area of the apartment section more then twice as large as it was previously meaning a lot more play time, I should be able to stretch playtime of this map out to around 20 mins, anyway there wont be any run through video's of combat through the new area as I would like to leave that as a surprise .

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-27 03:06:14
Your offset time is: 2024-04-27 03:06:14